The reason for the Sluggalo...

inkman

The WGR spin machine is at it again. The "reason" the Sabres had to go with el sluggo was because the NHL is switching to the new form fitting jersey's we've all been dreading. I heard something about not being able to put a cirlce on this new jersey but this ony leads me to more confusion. Dhopp had to explain to me that we needn't get so emotional about the slug, the Sabres had no choice in the matter. <_< :censored: :thumbdown: :sick: :wallbash:

The WGR spin machine is at it again. The "reason" the Sabres had to go with el sluggo was because the NHL is switching to the new form fitting jersey's we've all been dreading. I heard something about not being able to put a cirlce on this new jersey but this ony leads me to more confusion. Dhopp had to explain to me that we needn't get so emotional about the slug, the Sabres had no choice in the matter. <_< :censored: :thumbdown: :sick: :wallbash:

It's not WGR spin, it's...

Quinny Spinny! :lol:

That sounds like a completely stupid explanation for the sluggalo. If that were the case, then would the Bruins, Red Wings, Oilers, Devils, Islanders, Senators, Lightening, and Flyers (any team that uses a circle or part of) have to all have new logos? Does that mean that those teams will have new logos next year as well? Just doesn't seem to hold water and makes me feel like they think we are just complete morons.

That sounds like a completely stupid explanation for the sluggalo.

Remember the source.
If that were the case, then would the Bruins, Red Wings, Oilers, Devils, Islanders, Senators, Lightening, and Flyers (any team that uses a circle or part of) have to all have new logos? Does that mean that those teams will have new logos next year as well? Just doesn't seem to hold water and makes me feel like they think we are just complete morons.

He does. Again, remember the source.

After 19 wins in our first 24 games and record amount of sales of the new jerseys... people are STILL b!tching about this logo??? Are you serious? I can't imagine what some of you were saying couple years ago when we were near the basement in the league.

Yes, we are. The start to this season has been more than any of us could have hoped for. Winning is always great. Unfortunately, one thing winning cannot do is make that horrible logo suck any less.

After 19 wins in our first 24 games and record amount of sales of the new jerseys... people are STILL b!tching about this logo??? Are you serious? I can't imagine what some of you were saying couple years ago when we were near the basement in the league.

Our record has nothing to do with the logo. It is an abomination.

It's not so much the logo (although that's bad enough) as the attitude taken by Quinn and his paid minions since that damnable insult to Sabres tradition was unveiled. When Larry refused to man up and admit that he made a bad call or even tell the truth about it and instead said that he is in charge and we should shut up, quit whining, and buy the slug like good peons, the response to this arrogance was, naturally, defiant rage.

A gag order is in effect for all members of the Sabres organization. WGR, who has the radio contract to broadcast games, screens calls in an attempt to silence the anti-slug movement. The Sabres store at the Arena will not sell classic slug-free merchandise alongside the slug citing bogus production delays. Only slug-adorned product is on the shelves so that they can say "See, people love the slug, we sold xxx jerseys and hats."

There's an old sying that fits here..."Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining."

#%^$#! Larry Quinn

#%^$#! the Slug

Go Sabres!

#%^$#! Larry Quinn

#%^$#! the Slug

Go Sabres!

Yeah, &&$#&^$ the guy who has a huge role is saving the franchiase and keeping Regier and Ruff around, all because YOU hate the logo. Majority of the people like it, it's grown on alot of people. Get over it. It's still the Sabres, the slug isn't bad, it's not any worse then the goat head.

Get a grip guys.

In my original post, if read, clearly fires venom toward the spin machine known as WGR, not the logo itself. While I'm not in love with the logo, I received a hoody with the Sluggalo on it as a B-day present and have worn it plenty. As I first stated, my beef is with Shopp and his insulting, I told you so demeanor. I can live with the logo, but stop all the nonsense about why it was chosen. The reasons he gave couldn't have sounded more stupid.

Yeah, &&$#&^$ the guy who has a huge role is saving the franchiase and keeping Regier and Ruff around, all because YOU hate the logo. Majority of the people like it, it's grown on alot of people. Get over it. It's still the Sabres, the slug isn't bad, it's not any worse then the goat head.

Get a grip guys.

You keep trying to redirect the discussion or erect a strawman for us to attack, and then use the bandwagon technique i.e "majority of the people like it" implying that if we don't then we are "fringe" as if that is a bad thing. Nice try. These are classic propaganda/debate tactics and your consistent use of them makes me question your motivation and, perhaps, source of income.

Here is the central premise. Do not stray from it, and don't tell me to "get over it", which sounds a lot like "It's raining." Try to refute the two points of this premise.

Premise: Quinn is an arrogant . He is a because he refuses to be man enough to admit he screwed up what should have been the easiest marketing campaign in the history of man by trying to create a new Sabres "Brand". He is arrogant because he launched a systematic campaign of lies and intimidation to cover up his complete misunderstanding of his target market.

It's not the logo, so much.

Premise: Quinn is an arrogant . He is a because he refuses to be man enough to admit he screwed up what should have been the easiest marketing campaign in the history of man by trying to create a new Sabres "Brand". He is arrogant because he launched a systematic campaign of lies and intimidation to cover up his complete misunderstanding of his target market.

In Your Opinion. You forgot to add that little part. You seem like you're the spokesmen for all the Sabres fans. In your opinion, he made a mistake.

I personally like the logo.

I guess our opinions just differ. I don't see why attack Quinn, we're lucky we have a team, who cares if they even wear pink, they were almost gone! Golisano hired Quinn and looked into buying the Sabres, then with his advice, Golisano bought the team and the rest is history.

It's not so much the logo (although that's bad enough) as the attitude taken by Quinn and his paid minions since that damnable insult to Sabres tradition was unveiled. When Larry refused to man up and admit that he made a bad call or even tell the truth about it and instead said that he is in charge and we should shut up, quit whining, and buy the slug like good peons, the response to this arrogance was, naturally, defiant rage.

A gag order is in effect for all members of the Sabres organization. WGR, who has the radio contract to broadcast games, screens calls in an attempt to silence the anti-slug movement. The Sabres store at the Arena will not sell classic slug-free merchandise alongside the slug citing bogus production delays. Only slug-adorned product is on the shelves so that they can say "See, people love the slug, we sold xxx jerseys and hats."

There's an old sying that fits here..."Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining."

#%^$#! Larry Quinn

#%^$#! the Slug

Go Sabres!

Well stated, especially the part about how there is a serious lack of "slug free merchandise at the arena store. Once they have milked the piece of crap logo for all that it is worth and sales go flat, then they will roll out the originial logo merchandise.

Please stop with the correlation between winning and hating the slug. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Get a grip guys.

Quinny's role in terms of saving the franchise is far from huge. Golisano saved it, not Quinny. He may have made the decision to retain Regier, but all other credit in terms of the on ice product should go to Darcy, not to Quinny.

On the other hand, if you want to ballwash :worthy: Quinny for his innovative blue ice and hulking goalposts, go right ahead. ;)

And by this you're trying to say what? That they wouldn't be succesful without the slug?

Surely I can hate a logo and still like the team, or am I not allowed to? I guess I'm not allowed to dislike a certain player on that team either, because they racked up "19 wins in our first 24 games".

Just trying to figure out what the slug and 19 wins have to do with each other.

In Your Opinion. You forgot to add that little part. You seem like you're the spokesmen for all the Sabres fans. In your opinion, he made a mistake.

I personally like the logo.

I guess our opinions just differ. I don't see why attack Quinn, we're lucky we have a team, who cares if they even wear pink, they were almost gone! Golisano hired Quinn and looked into buying the Sabres, then with his advice, Golisano bought the team and the rest is history.

Again the redirect. Ilya Ehrenberg would be proud of your stick-to-it-iveness. I don't speak for Sabres fans, some 35,000 of them spoke for themselves on a petition. You may have seen the front page, above the fold story in the Buffalo News about it.

When I state something as a "premise" I believe it is implied that I am making a statement of personal opinion.

I attack Quinn in self defense. On this issue he has pissed on my head and is trying tell me it is raining. I am insulted by that. If he has otherwise performed the duties of his position well, good for him but it has nothing to do with my premise (opinion).

Glad you like the logo. Buy a slug jersey, maybe a pink one for your girl, too. I won't.

Again the redirect. Ilya Ehrenberg would be proud of your stick-to-it-iveness. I don't speak for Sabres fans, some 35,000 of them spoke for themselves on a petition. You may have seen the front page, above the fold story in the Buffalo News about it.

LOL

Out of the 35K, how many signed it twice? And how many signed it to be "cool"?

Besides, i signed it at the time, but i got over it and accepted it and now i like it.

And yeah, i will buy a slug for me and my girl.... thanks! but def not pink tho.

LOL

Besides, i signed it at the time, but i got over it and accepted it and now i like it.

And yeah, i will buy a slug for me and my girl.... thanks! but def not pink tho.

I'm in the market for a classic logo B&G Campbell. See you at the games!

I'm in the market for a classic logo B&G Campbell. See you at the games!

i'm betting you won't have access to one until jan. at the absolute earliest.

and if quinn's such a savy businessman, how could he have not made arrangements for the demand of the classic logo? it's not like they don't have the design in their files or something. complete bullpucky. i think he knows (IN MY OPINION) that the moment the classic logo hits the shelves and the internet, the slug's days are over.

Since there is no game to talk about, I'll indulge..

I can actually see the argument that says squares, boxes and circles (linear shapes) would appear distorted if stretched. Think about it. Who else wears tight fitting uniforms and puts elaborate logos on them? Stretch that emblem and a circle looks like an oval and everything distorts. Especially words. People get paid to look at these type things all the time.

I am moving from the hate it to getting used to it category. My 4 and 8 year old sons won't know the difference and thus will just accept it.

Those of us who prefer the old style will dwindle in numbers eventually. And just when we learn to accept it, they'll change it again.

I remember the move from white Bills helmets to red. I hated that when it happened. Remember the argument was there were too many white helmets in our division (NE, MIA, NYJ, INDY, BUF all had white) so the QBs would have an easier time distinguishing our guys from theirs. Well now when I see them in white it sort of shocks my senses.

Seeing them in the old uni's shocks my sense of nostalgia; but, I have accepted the new uni's because what they do in them matters more than what they look like. If they were 5-14-5 at this stage instead of 19-2-3 maybe it would matter, but right now it just doesn't to me. To quote Pink Floyd, I'm "Comfortably Numb" to them. And maybe that is just how they saw it. Like 'em or hate 'em, they are constantly talked about and my guess is that is exactly what they wanted.

Was it Quinn's decision? Or a committee's including a team of marketing experts from the NHL? Does the NHL have a retainer with a big design firm that creates all logos for NHL (and probably earned the business because they do the NBA too or NFL or whatever)?

The logo is not designed with die-hard fans in mind. They probably did some focus groups with casual sport fan, not the type of people who visit this message board.

I personally don't like it, and would have preferred reverting back to original. But Quinn-hating is a little over the top isn't it? This front-office is doing a great job.

I personally don't like it, and would have preferred reverting back to original. But Quinn-hating is a little over the top isn't it? This front-office is doing a great job.

I agree.. Afterall, I would hate to be watching the Saskatchewan Sabres right now, I'd still watch, but I wouldn't like it.

LOL

How much uglier would it have to be for you to not have accepted it? The new logo is an abortion. There's pretty much no way I can think of that they could have realistically done worse. But I guess they count on people (like you) who will buy stuff just because they're selling it.

The team could go 82-0 and the new uniforms would still suck.

Was it Quinn's decision? Or a committee's including a team of marketing experts from the NHL? Does the NHL have a retainer with a big design firm that creates all logos for NHL (and probably earned the business because they do the NBA too or NFL or whatever)?

The logo is not designed with die-hard fans in mind. They probably did some focus groups with casual sport fan, not the type of people who visit this message board.

They may had some Reebok "experts" involved, but I believe the ultimate decision on the logo/jersey design came from LQ. If they didn't sign off on it, it would have been back to the drawing board. As far as focus groups go, I believe that there is no way that they used them at all. But in the slim chance they did, the focus group obviously had all the wrong demographics. <_<

Archived