The reason for the Sluggalo...

inkman

Well, I'm definitely not an expert in fashion design of clothing manufacture, but from what I can see of crests on past uniforms, they don't seem that elastic to me. I think you'd have to stretch it pretty hard to deform it enough to make it look oval. Unless they are going to strat using some sort of screening process to put the crest on the fronts of the sweaters and move away from the stitched kind, then I could see the logos deforming enough to notice. I would think though that the new material is stretchy enough to accommodate the way the crest are usually made without creating tears around it under "normal" use. But if the stretching is an issue, I would think that it would also apply to the more complex shapes even though the eye would have a harder time noticing it. Still anything with a straight line to then become curved and wouldn't that be noticeable as well? I think that too many other teams use simple shapes that would also distort for it to be a reason not to use a circle or manufacture a stretchy jersey that will accomodate a relatively stiff crest attached to the front. I can't imagine the Bruins changing their spoked B crest for this. The Flyers to make the round part of their P less round and so on. I think this distortion issue is another weak excuse that they made up.

I love how everyone gets shot down for saying they like the logo or jersey.

I don't mind it, its not the greatest logo ever (the "Goathead" logo was one of the better ones) but the old one was outdated and was something to be used only as a "retro" or alternate jersey. The stance fans that don't like are taking is that every fan hates it so they will have to change it, and people are only buying it cause they arenew, the sabres are winning and nothing else is available. That isn't true, cause if it was, Anaheims jersey sales should be selling at the same rate or better cause apparently the Sabres jerseys are so much uglier. From the looks of it now, the anti slug people seem to be in the minority cause I highly doubt people are spending +/- $100 for a jersey that they can't stand just because the team is winning, I'm sorry I don't buy that.

Weither you want to get over it or not, it is here to stay until they decide in another 10 years to come up with a new design to sell more merchandise. Quinn did not make the change just to spite you people, or to move the team. For all we know, TG could have come up with the design and approved it himself.

AS for going back to the old ones because of tradition, So far the new ones represent a more successful team, followed by the "Goathead" (the only back eye on that Era was the Rigas scandal), then the originals. Its time to stop living in the past. Is a Stanley Cup Championship going to be tainted if they win it with the new logo?

I think this distortion issue is another weak excuse that they made up.

Absolutely it is a weak excuse. Quinn's arrogance (see earlier premise) will not allow him to admit that he was wrong so he childishly finds a scapegoat.."It's not my fault! The NHL and Reebock made me do it!" Plus he leaks it slowly so he can assume the mantle of victim. This guy needs to run for office.

There is no way in hell the Bruins will can their logo. And what about the Canadiens? That C with the H inside is kinda round. Can you imagine the outcry if they abandoned it?

I have no problem at all with Quinn designing the new logo. That was his job and he tried to do it. My problem is the reaction once it was clear he made such a huge mistake. EVERYBODY knows it is a debacle the way it went down. Even owners of other teams (The Caps for instance) have said, in effect, this is a case study of how not to do it.

All he had to do is publicly own up to the mess and tell the truth about it and all would be fine. We would laugh about it and talk about what a stand-up guy LQ is. That he instead chose to launch a campaign of lies, disinformation, and intimidation speaks volumes about his character. My advice...don't make any deals with this guy on a handshake.

I love how everyone gets shot down for saying they like the logo or jersey.

Initially I may have been a little confounded but I never slammed anyone for liking it. If it is your preference, then so be it. I think what bothered me and perhaps a few others was how it all went down. It just seemed like a cluster #%^$#! form the start. The supposed "leaking of the logo" being on purpose. The entire CYA move by Larry Quinn with the jersey brought from home, declaring how it was their intention all along to wear the original jerseys for selected home dates. I just want the spin to stop.

You keep trying to redirect the discussion or erect a strawman for us to attack, and then use the bandwagon technique i.e "majority of the people like it" implying that if we don't then we are "fringe" as if that is a bad thing. Nice try. These are classic propaganda/debate tactics and your consistent use of them makes me question your motivation and, perhaps, source of income.

Here is the central premise. Do not stray from it, and don't tell me to "get over it", which sounds a lot like "It's raining." Try to refute the two points of this premise.

Premise: Quinn is an arrogant . He is a because he refuses to be man enough to admit he screwed up what should have been the easiest marketing campaign in the history of man by trying to create a new Sabres "Brand". He is arrogant because he launched a systematic campaign of lies and intimidation to cover up his complete misunderstanding of his target market.

It's not the logo, so much.

spot f---ing on, brotha! :thumbsup:

All he had to do is publicly own up to the mess and tell the truth about it and all would be fine. We would laugh about it and talk about what a stand-up guy LQ is. That he instead chose to launch a campaign of lies, disinformation, and intimidation speaks volumes about his character. My advice...don't make any deals with this guy on a handshake.

and yet again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i'm betting you won't have access to one until jan. at the absolute earliest.

and if quinn's such a savy businessman, how could he have not made arrangements for the demand of the classic logo? it's not like they don't have the design in their files or something. complete bullpucky. i think he knows (IN MY OPINION) that the moment the classic logo hits the shelves and the internet, the slug's days are over.

Believe me, he knows.

Quinny's role in terms of saving the franchise is far from huge. Golisano saved it, not Quinny. He may have made the decision to retain Regier, but all other credit in terms of the on ice product should go to Darcy, not to Quinny.

Golisano didn't know a thing about hockey so he turned to Quinn because of his experience. Yes, Golisano is the main reason, but Quinn played his part too.

Niagara, could you be any more bitter about this? After reading each of your posts, Quinn might as well be Satan himself. Quinn kills babies, we get it. I'm sick and tired of people ripping the guy apart because they ASSUME the process worked a certain way. The funny part is that you completely villify one person, ignoring anyone else who could've been responsible. I've got news for all of the haters out there, Tom Golisano had to agree on this thing too. If anyone thinks otherwise, you're in serious need of a wakeup call.

Golisano didn't know a thing about hockey so he turned to Quinn because of his experience. Yes, Golisano is the main reason, but Quinn played his part too.

Niagara, could you be any more bitter about this? After reading each of your posts, Quinn might as well be Satan himself. Quinn kills babies, we get it. I'm sick and tired of people ripping the guy apart because they ASSUME the process worked a certain way. The funny part is that you completely villify one person, ignoring anyone else who could've been responsible. I've got news for all of the haters out there, Tom Golisano had to agree on this thing too. If anyone thinks otherwise, you're in serious need of a wakeup call.

Point taken...I'm sure there was some sort of process involved and that we do not have all information necessary. Sorry for the vitriol.

i think he knows (IN MY OPINION) that the moment the classic logo hits the shelves and the internet, the slug's days are over.

I'm starting to think this theory won't hold water. With the Slug being the only jersey available currently, and with sales being as brisk as they are, the market is becoming flooded. There will be the die hard old schoolers who are holding out for the vintage jersery's but I have to think that number is dwindling daily. Most of the younger fans are buying and loving the new logo so while there may be a small demand for the old jerseys, I think it will subside quickly and the Slug will be here to stay.

i'm betting you won't have access to one until jan. at the absolute earliest.

and if quinn's such a savy businessman, how could he have not made arrangements for the demand of the classic logo? it's not like they don't have the design in their files or something. complete bullpucky. i think he knows (IN MY OPINION) that the moment the classic logo hits the shelves and the internet, the slug's days are over.

If this is actually true, what's wrong with extending the shelf life of the new jerseys as long as possible? Sell them while you can and then when the market dries up, bring out the throwbacks, creating a whole new market. To me, that sounds like a pretty good way of maximizing profit.

I believe that the slug will be here until the market is saturated and there is a need to switch the logo to generate more revenue.

As much as some of us hate the logo, I believe we are in the minority of most Sabres fans who either love it, tolerate it, or it's growing on them...

Has anyone had the courage to tell someone who's wearing a slug what you think of it? Let's just say they look at you like you're an intolerant lunatic and wonder why you are insulting them. Not that I was rude about it, but I've learned to be tolerant of those who don't share my view on the logo (and hopefully my wife has too). Fortunately, we have this board to gripe about it.

On a happier note - Gotta love eBay!

post-883-1164922209_thumbjpg

SABRES Vintage Away Jersey With "Any Name & Number" XL

On a happier note - Gotta love eBay!

sabres_7.jpg

SABRES Vintage Away Jersey With "Any Name & Number" XL

Why doesn't the image show up? I thought that was a newly added feature? Is it pending approval? Anybody know?

I don't know if it is the only way to do it, but the way I have included images in my posts, is to download the image to my computer and then use the browse feature below the editing windowing to "add the attachment"(image) in the post.

Are they still planning on making the vintage jersey into a 3rd jersey (matching the darker blue)? Is it possible that they don't want to have two different shades of blue available with the original logo? We may never see the original in its current form.(Except with the "vintage" tags as they had been doing previously). Who on here would be willing to buy the vintage in its current color this year and then have it be "off color" next year?

(I am taking no sides on this issue - I have always had each Sabres shirt in each color and my wife purchased new "slug" shirts for me this year. It makes her Christmas shopping for me easy. But I did tell her not to get the "vintage shirt" with the number in the front-I already have one without- and wait until the color change)

And yes, I was not as happy with the new logo as I would have been if it was one of the others posted on here, but I must admit, if Golisano OKd these, it is more than his right to do so. He used his own money to by the team. Its his, he can dress them however he pleases.I'm just glad there is still a Sabres team to root for.

I was not happy with the new logo but it grew on me. Im now a PROUD wearer of both jersey's now....

I think they are sharp and Im proud that the Buffalo Sabres have the #1 selling shirt in the business!

Dont like it? Support the Leafs then.... When this team holds up Buffalo's first championship, we shall see who loves the Slug!

GREAT JOB MR. QUINN THANKS FOR THE BEST TEAM IN HOCKEY

Go Sabres

I was not happy with the new logo but it grew on me. Im now a PROUD wearer of both jersey's now....

I think they are sharp and Im proud that the Buffalo Sabres have the #1 selling shirt in the business!

Dont like it? Support the Leafs then.... When this team holds up Buffalo's first championship, we shall see who loves the Slug!

GREAT JOB MR. QUINN THANKS FOR THE BEST TEAM IN HOCKEY

Go Sabres

Don't like the jersey, so support the Leafs? :doh: For the millionth time, disliking the logo has nothing to do with supporting the team. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

lol well at least the jersey banter is down to one thread..... ill be wearing my Navy Miller Sluggo proudly tommorow night at the HSBC arena against the rangers...

Are they still planning on making the vintage jersey into a 3rd jersey (matching the darker blue)? Is it possible that they don't want to have two different shades of blue available with the original logo? We may never see the original in its current form.(Except with the "vintage" tags as they had been doing previously). Who on here would be willing to buy the vintage in its current color this year and then have it be "off color" next year?

(I am taking no sides on this issue - I have always had each Sabres shirt in each color and my wife purchased new "slug" shirts for me this year. It makes her Christmas shopping for me easy. But I did tell her not to get the "vintage shirt" with the number in the front-I already have one without- and wait until the color change)

And yes, I was not as happy with the new logo as I would have been if it was one of the others posted on here, but I must admit, if Golisano OKd these, it is more than his right to do so. He used his own money to by the team. Its his, he can dress them however he pleases.I'm just glad there is still a Sabres team to root for.

its interesting that the demand is so high from people for the vintage blue one... did no one buy them during the red and black era... i mean they were available then... i bought myself a Lafontaine... but the blank ones were there... but i guess if the numbers on the front and an updated player mean alot then i guess you'd have to wait... that and hind-sight is 20/20... I love my lafontaine and both my slugs...

its interesting that the demand is so high from people for the vintage blue one... did no one buy them during the red and black era... i mean they were available then...

I think the reason the demand for the vintage was so low then and so high now would boil down to one thing...EL Sluggo.

How much uglier would it have to be for you to not have accepted it? The new logo is an abortion. There's pretty much no way I can think of that they could have realistically done worse. But I guess they count on people (like you) who will buy stuff just because they're selling it.

The team could go 82-0 and the new uniforms would still suck.

I'm getting acclimated to the slug, and i kind of feel dirty for that.

lol well at least the jersey banter is down to one thread..... ill be wearing my Navy Miller Sluggo proudly tommorow night at the HSBC arena against the rangers...

its interesting that the demand is so high from people for the vintage blue one... did no one buy them during the red and black era... i mean they were available then... i bought myself a Lafontaine... but the blank ones were there... but i guess if the numbers on the front and an updated player mean alot then i guess you'd have to wait... that and hind-sight is 20/20... I love my lafontaine and both my slugs...

I have the original B&G that i bought right after we changed to the goathead. No name on the back, but i got the blue jersey for $15. That was a hell of an investment.

Quinny's role in terms of saving the franchise is far from huge. Golisano saved it, not Quinny. He may have made the decision to retain Regier, but all other credit in terms of the on ice product should go to Darcy, not to Quinny.

On the other hand, if you want to ballwash :worthy: Quinny for his innovative blue ice and hulking goalposts, go right ahead. ;)

This post is full of crap. Quinn has played a significant role in bringing the franchise back to prominence. You brush off the deciscion to retain Regier and Ruff, then credit Darcy for putting the team together. If Darcy is responsible for the product on the ice, you can't choose to seperate that from Quinn, he deserves credit as well.

Of course it's not like Quinn also hasn't made variable ticket pricing a reality, nor has he helped to change the way that season ticket holders are treated, therefore increasing ST holders.

Yet, that's probably all in spite of Quinn's efforts. I'm sorry, I forgot...who deserves credit for selling out every seat for every game this season?

I don't care if people love the logo or hate the logo...give me an organization that is filled with competent management (check) puts an exciting product on the ice/field (check), creates an exciting atmosphere in the arena/stadium (check) and makes me feel that as a fan I matter, whether I'm buying season tickets, a mini-pack, or am just heading to a value night game (check). If you hate the logo, fine. Don't buy it, don't wear it. But people that continue to complain about this crap, or yell and scream about Quinn when he's one of the people in WNY who is actively trying to change things for the better need to calm down and figure out why they're all worked up. This has been the most enjoyable team to follow in Buffalo since the early 90's Bills, and we're complaining about the man who decided to keep the GM and coach and helped to sell out the arena?

Get real

topshelf - you said a lot of very good points, but I think you went a bit overboard.

If you hate the logo, fine. Don't buy it, don't wear it. But people that continue to complain about this crap.... need to calm down and figure out why they're all worked up.

This is an internet message board about the Sabres. If this isn't the place to yell and scream about a logo that a lot of people don't like, where is?

And "get real"? If someone doesn't like the logo, and they say that they don't like the logo, how more real can you get?

topshelf - you said a lot of very good points, but I think you went a bit overboard.

This is an internet message board about the Sabres. If this isn't the place to yell and scream about a logo that a lot of people don't like, where is?

Well considering the fact that this is a relatively small board that seems to have a core group of posters, complaining about the unifomrs here over and over has lost all meaning. We know who does and doesn't hate the damn thing already.

This post is full of crap. Quinn has played a significant role in bringing the franchise back to prominence. You brush off the deciscion to retain Regier and Ruff, then credit Darcy for putting the team together. If Darcy is responsible for the product on the ice, you can't choose to seperate that from Quinn, he deserves credit as well.

So even though Quinn has NOTHING do to with the hockey operation(i hope!), he should receive all the credit for their success, because he is the one that hired Darcy and Darcy is the person in charge of the hockey operation? Also, I believe it would have been Darcy's decision to keep Ruff, not Quinny. If you want to make him out to be some sort of a savior, go right ahead. I choose to do otherwise.

Archived