Taylor Pyatt

rickshaw

The big lug has been promoted and playing with the Sedins.

He scored his fifth of the season last night. The twins are damn good. Anson Carter has one goal this year. Think he misses the twinnies?

If Pyatt continues to go to the front of the net, the twins will find him. He was getting daggered by the media from the get go but now his 5 goals are right at the top of the Canucks along with Naslund and Daniel. He's only averaging 12 minutes ice time per, and his shooting % is 26%. Not bad.

I hope he continues his progress. He's a good kid.

I have always been a big fan of his. He really woke up in the playoffs last year and he was still in his early 20's. Who would you rather have skating on your 4th line.....Peters or Pyatt? I really believe that Pyatt is going to be a 25-40 goal scorer for many years in this league.

I have always been a big fan of his. He really woke up in the playoffs last year and he was still in his early 20's. Who would you rather have skating on your 4th line.....Peters or Pyatt? I really believe that Pyatt is going to be a 25-40 goal scorer for many years in this league.

That's a no brainer, but money was the sole motivation in moving Quiet.

I would rather have Pyatt, but please tell me how we could pay his salary and stay under the cap.

I would rather have Pyatt, but please tell me how we could pay his salary and stay under the cap.

We moved him well before the coffers were open to everyone else. You just structure another contract differently. If we are going to hand over $12 million to a guy who is 50/50 to even make it back on the ice, they could have found a way to fit Pyatt's extra cash in. If we were going on the cheap, then it made sense to move him....since we are "Going for It", Pyatt still has a real chance of being a top 2 liner in this league and should have been kept. I don't blame them for moving him since Golisano probably green lighted the payroll after Briere's award and a case of Molson.

We moved him well before the coffers were open to everyone else. You just structure another contract differently. If we are going to hand over $12 million to a guy who is 50/50 to even make it back on the ice, they could have found a way to fit Pyatt's extra cash in. If we were going on the cheap, then it made sense to move him....since we are "Going for It", Pyatt still has a real chance of being a top 2 liner in this league and should have been kept. I don't blame them for moving him since Golisano probably green lighted the payroll after Briere's award and a case of Molson.

Regier knew where things were going to go. Sure, he didn't expect to be quite as tight to the cap as they are now, but he saw the writing on the wall. Remember, he also tried to bring back Mike Grier. My guess is that when they worked out the budget during the offseason, it came down to a choice between the two and they went with Grier. No one was going to offer any more than what we got for Quiet and that deal may have only been on the table at that moment.

I really believe that Pyatt is going to be a 25-40 goal scorer for many years in this league.

Twenty-five, plausible. Forty, #%^$#!ing insane. Taylor has plenty of talent but vaulting him into the Briere, Drury and possibly Vanek type of sniper is just plain crazy. Maybe I'm in the wrong here, but I don't see Pyatt getting to the 40 goal mark, ever.

Regier knew where things were going to go. Sure, he didn't expect to be quite as tight to the cap as they are now, but he saw the writing on the wall. Remember, he also tried to bring back Mike Grier. My guess is that when they worked out the budget during the offseason, it came down to a choice between the two and they went with Grier. No one was going to offer any more than what we got for Quiet and that deal may have only been on the table at that moment.

We also don't know that Taylor would ever blossom with the Sabres.

Assuming the contracts could have been tweaked slightly to get him here (a VERY big if IMHO), were he a Sabre right now, most likely the Sabres would have lost Novotny in the waiver draft as well as losing Thorburn.

Even disregarding the possibility of losing Novotny, if Pyatt were on this team he would almost definitely be on the 4th line. If Novotny is still a Sabre, he'd be on a line with Gaustad and Mair and probably doesn't have 5 goals at this point in time. If Novotny isn't a Sabre, he'd be on a line with Mair and Peters and quite possibly has 0 points at this time and everyone continues to label him Taylor Quiet and BUST.

If Pyatt could get regular shifts on the Sabres 2nd or 3rd line, he might have blossomed here in Buffalo. Of course he might not have, worrying that if he has a bad shift or 2 that Lindy would move him down to the 4th line or a healthy scratch.

In Vancouver, he gets to play with 2 really talented linemates and has a fresh start. He also is making less than he probably would have made in Buffalo. It's a lot easier to take a paycut with a new team than with your old one. $989k --> $700k.

Darcy knew that there was a real possibility that Pyatt could become a player in this league when he traded him. There was also a real possibility with the Sabres lineup that he wouldn't become one in Buffalo. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for all involved), with where he fits into the Sabres plans, he was not worth as much as a 4th round pick in next year's draft. So the Sabres now have an extra pick and the 'Nucks have a 2nd line winger.

Twenty-five, plausible. Forty, #%^$#!ing insane. Taylor has plenty of talent but vaulting him into the Briere, Drury and possibly Vanek type of sniper is just plain crazy. Maybe I'm in the wrong here, but I don't see Pyatt getting to the 40 goal mark, ever.

You're not the only one who doesn't see that happening. I like Taylor's physical attributes, but IMO, his effort and results were always lacking. He has always had streaks where he looks like he has finally figured it out, then disappears for a bunch of games.

As for the salary part, I don't see any way he was staying in Buffalo this year, even given the questionable $12M Timmy contract. If the team were to free up some extra cash this offseason, I think keeping JP, McKee or Grier would have been higher on their list.

I'd also rather have Pyatt instead of Peters on the 4th line most nights, but the only way that was going to happen was if Pyatt was available for Peters money ($450K)

The problem with that reasoning is that in negotiations, there are 2 sides. I agree with Dave, that it's a very big if that someone would take less money.

It says at TSN Pyatt is making 700K this year and Peters 450K.

I honestly didn't expect Novotny to play so well this year, so he may be the saving grace. Come playoff time it is still nice to have a big bruiser with some skill on the team. Novotny , Gaustad and Mair are all talented and gritty...but they are all missing that OOMPH!

In the big picture, we got a 2nd and 4th for Pyatt since poor Mika is off in Europe somewhere searching for love. Who knows, maybe Darcy did it as a favor knowing Norronan was a dump off on them.

It says at TSN Pyatt is making 700K this year and Peters 450K.

I honestly didn't expect Novotny to play so well this year, so he may be the saving grace. Come playoff time it is still nice to have a big bruiser with some skill on the team. Novotny , Gaustad and Mair are all talented and gritty...but they are all missing that OOMPH!

In the big picture, we got a 2nd and 4th for Pyatt since poor Mika is off in Europe somewhere searching for love. Who knows, maybe Darcy did it as a favor knowing Norronan was a dump off on them.

Pyatt is making $700k this year in Vancouver. BUT he would have gotten a LOT more than that if he had stayed in Buffalo. Buffalo had to qualify him, i.e., offer him $1.038MM in order to retain his rights. Had he stayed in Buffalo, there is no reason to believe he would have been dumb enough to not sign his QO.

The Sabres would have had a VERY difficult time squeezing Pyatt's salary onto this team. They also would very likely had to pay Gaustad and Pominville more money as I am certain their agents would have brought up in negotiations that THEIR client contributed FAR MORE to the success of the Sabres last year and would want to use Pyatt as a benchmark.

Had the Sabres been able to bring Pyatt back for $700k (or what I think he's worth on this team $600k), I could see keeping him in town. However, there was no way that would happen in Buffalo.

I understand your disappointment at the Sabres essentially giving away a guy that turned into a useful player for another team. In a salary capped world, that is going to happen to the good teams. At least with Pyatt they got something for him. They simply had to let Janik, Fitzpatrick, Thorburn, Grier, McKee, and Dumont walk with getting nothing in return for any of them. Unfortunately, the Sabres will likely end up walking away from a few bigger contributors in this off-season because Drury will not come cheaply.

Also, Peters makes $460k on a 1 way deal, not $450k.

I think the bottom line is that this team will have to restock their team with a couple of players every year. Looking at the organ-eye-zational depth, this shouldn't concern anyone for the next three years where current contracts and up and coming players will keep this roster filled with young, speedy, hungry players and hopefully we can win a cup or two in that span.

Ink hit it dead on - teams need to be constantly evaluating and shuffling their roster, to make sure they aren't wasting time, money and a roster spot on someone who might not get it. And before we go getting all misty-eyed about the stud we gave away, let's remember that Pyatt & the Canucks are still just 11 games into the season, and that Pyatt's career year was 14G, 14A in 78 games (2002-03.)

A lot of players need to move to a new team, new city, new coach before they reach their potential, and maybe that is what will happen here, but right now I have trouble bemoaning the loss of a guy who is now in his sixth season, has played 319 games, and has only found the back of the net 47 times.

I think the bottom line is that this team will have to restock their team with a couple of players every year. Looking at the organ-eye-zational depth, this shouldn't concern anyone for the next three years where current contracts and up and coming players will keep this roster filled with young, speedy, hungry players and hopefully we can win a cup or two in that span.

Even in a non-salary capped world, the Sabres would be looking to make 2-3 personnel changes from year to year.

And you are right, the team has great depth right now. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the team stay near the top of the east next year as well, even with the very real possibility that Briere won't be affordable next year. The thing is, the Sabres may have Briere's replacement already on the roster - Timmy.

If Timmy doesn't play at all this year, or is a shell of himself because he's out of condition, but he plays the next 2 years, the team will have for all intents and purposes paid him ~$4.5MM/year for 2 years but only took a ~$3MM salary cap hit. IF the Sabres get the Timmy from last year's playoffs back that will be almost as big a bargain as Pominville is turning out to be.

The only real fear I have for next year is re-signing Drury. He is the ONE player that is due to be a free agent that the team cannot afford to lose. (Vanek and Roy are next on my list, and then comes Briere. That is not, and should not in any way be seen as a shot at Briere. If the Sabres lose him it will be a very big loss - a lot bigger than losing McKee was, but reality is, at his age and $'s I think he would be my 4th priority. (Although with the timing of what happens w/ UFA's and RFA's, he will necessarily be the 2nd player the Sabres have to make a decision on.))

But all that is moot now and fodder for a discussion next summer. This is their year to do it. Whether it happens or not, I'm going to enjoy every minute of the ride.

Stupid question #6348: Does Connolly have a spot in this current lineup?

IMHO, he could easily be placed into Kotalik/Novotny's spot while shifting that player to the fourth line in Peters' spot. Thus creating more scoring from all lines. Gaustad is wasting away on the fourth line and a little scoring punch from a smooth skating Czech could go a long way.

Even in a non-salary capped world, the Sabres would be looking to make 2-3 personnel changes from year to year.

And you are right, the team has great depth right now. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the team stay near the top of the east next year as well, even with the very real possibility that Briere won't be affordable next year. The thing is, the Sabres may have Briere's replacement already on the roster - Timmy.

If Timmy doesn't play at all this year, or is a shell of himself because he's out of condition, but he plays the next 2 years, the team will have for all intents and purposes paid him ~$4.5MM/year for 2 years but only took a ~$3MM salary cap hit. IF the Sabres get the Timmy from last year's playoffs back that will be almost as big a bargain as Pominville is turning out to be.

The only real fear I have for next year is re-signing Drury. He is the ONE player that is due to be a free agent that the team cannot afford to lose. (Vanek and Roy are next on my list, and then comes Briere. That is not, and should not in any way be seen as a shot at Briere. If the Sabres lose him it will be a very big loss - a lot bigger than losing McKee was, but reality is, at his age and $'s I think he would be my 4th priority. (Although with the timing of what happens w/ UFA's and RFA's, he will necessarily be the 2nd player the Sabres have to make a decision on.))

But all that is moot now and fodder for a discussion next summer. This is their year to do it. Whether it happens or not, I'm going to enjoy every minute of the ride.

Wow. Great post, as always. I think I agree with everything, except that I would sacrifice Roy before Briere. However, given the #s we may not have that option. In any case your final paragraph says it all.

Stupid question #6348: Does Connolly have a spot in this current lineup?

IMHO, he could easily be placed into Kotalik/Novotny's spot while shifting that player to the fourth line in Peters' spot. Thus creating more scoring from all lines. Gaustad is wasting away on the fourth line and a little scoring punch from a smooth skating Czech could go a long way.

If he comes back this year, I would put him on the 4th line for about 2-5 games to give him time to get his legs back (after he did the conditioning stint in Ra-cha-cha).

Once he seems to be ready, I would have the lines look like this (in no particular order):

Hecht - Briere - Pominville

Roy - Drury - Kotalik

Vanek - Connolly - Afinogenov

Mair - Gaustad - Novotny

I'm not thrilled with the idea of breaking up the RAV line (who thought they'd say THAT before the season started), but Connolly works so well with Max and could do such an incredible job of feeding Vanek that that would be the 1st set of line combinations I'd work with. Roy also had good chemistry with Drury after the 1st couple of games together. And the 4th line now is a 3rd line on any other team and takes a true regular shift.

There are a lot of combinations with those 12 skaters that could work and provide teams different looks.

If he comes back this year, I would put him on the 4th line for about 2-5 games to give him time to get his legs back (after he did the conditioning stint in Ra-cha-cha).

Once he seems to be ready, I would have the lines look like this (in no particular order):

Hecht - Briere - Pominville

Roy - Drury - Kotalik

Vanek - Connolly - Afinogenov

Mair - Gaustad - Novotny

I'm not thrilled with the idea of breaking up the RAV line (who thought they'd say THAT before the season started), but Connolly works so well with Max and could do such an incredible job of feeding Vanek that that would be the 1st set of line combinations I'd work with. Roy also had good chemistry with Drury after the 1st couple of games together. And the 4th line now is a 3rd line on any other team and takes a true regular shift.

There are a lot of combinations with those 12 skaters that could work and provide teams different looks.

Based on their play together last year as well as some comments by Lindy in the offseason, I think Timmy and Briere will play on the same line. I'd guess Pominville would get dropped to the Gaustad/Mair line, putting Peters in the press box. I don't think the RAV line will get broken up until they slump. So, the lines would look like:

Connolly - Briere - Hecht

Drury-Kotalik-Novotny

Roy-Max-Vanek

Gaustad-Mair-Pominville

Depending on performance, I could also see Pominville taking Kotalik's spot with Drury and Novotny, with Kotalik dropping to the Gaustad line.

Holy mackarel I hope Timmy comes back and makes this a real (and not just theoretical) debate.

I think Pommer and Briere have had too much chemistry the last few games to break them up. Hecht on the other hand has really struggled offensively and may be a good fit on a checking line.

Connolly-Briere-Pominville

That line would be pretty sweet!

I think Pommer and Briere have had too much chemistry the last few games to break them up. Hecht on the other hand has really struggled offensively and may be a good fit on a checking line.

Connolly-Briere-Pominville

That line would be pretty sweet!

Actually I think Hecht is a good fit on that line as the forward who can work the boards and corners in order to get Briere or Pominville the puck.

Archived