Taylor Pyatt

rickshaw

I was always saying that Pyatt was coming into his own in the playoffs. Now that he's scoring, and turning into a young John LeClair, there is gnashing of teeth here, giving him up for nothing. It comes down to choices. For a cash-strapped team, do you put your faith in Connolly? Hecht? I would have put my money down on Pyatt, investing in the future for this emerging hulk instead of those two question marks. Then again, there might have been personality/chemistry issues with the guy.

There were 3 guys on last years team I target in a trade if I am an opposing GM...Pyatt, Kotalik and Kalinin. It is all about untapped potential and the chance that improvement can be made. Kotalik hasn't stepped up yet and it looks like Kalinin is coming into his own, but since our entire D is playing so well, it is hard to know just how much progress has been made. In Pyatt you have a bull at 6'4" 225lbs who is fast skating for his size, and has shown good hands. In the Carolina series you couldn't move the guy off of the puck. He was 24 years old....which is about the time you fill out your frame and max out strength.

I just saw enough heart and skill in the playoffs that led me to believe he was worth bringing in again at 1million. Now that the kid has a little confidence....I firmly believe he will be a mainstay in this league and end up with 300+ goals.

I just saw enough heart and skill in the playoffs that led me to believe he was worth bringing in again at 1million. Now that the kid has a little confidence....I firmly believe he will be a mainstay in this league and end up with 300+ goals.

So what player(s) are we getting rid of to keep Pyatt? Kotalik, would be the best arguement but even he has shown more than TP and has more potential. Outside of Ales, the only other players you could consider would be a combination of Peters and Novotny. One of them alone do not make as much as Taylor would have so in fact you would have to get rid of both of them leaving us under the cap but one player short on the roster.

So what player(s) are we getting rid of to keep Pyatt? Kotalik, would be the best arguement but even he has shown more than TP and has more potential. Outside of Ales, the only other players you could consider would be a combination of Peters and Novotny. One of them alone do not make as much as Taylor would have so in fact you would have to get rid of both of them leaving us under the cap but one player short on the roster.

Like I said before....we extend a contract or two with someone else, or you don't pile 12 million into Connoly. "He Tim.....how's the head? Oh you can't make it out of bed without being dizzy? Ok we'll give you 11 million in hopes you hit the ice by 2008."

With Tallinder down, we're going to have to IR Timmy anyway.

He also had a chance all alone in front to win that game in regulation last night and missed the net ...

I like him too, but he has ALWAYS been streaky ... good for him he is on a hot streak and taking advantage of playing with the Sedin twins, but he was going to be on the 4th line here and he was too expensive for that. And I'd be stunned if he is still playing with those guys all season. He will cool off and they will juggle things and he will be a nice grinder who gets hot sometimes.

Like I said before....we extend a contract or two with someone else, or you don't pile 12 million into Connoly. "He Tim.....how's the head? Oh you can't make it out of bed without being dizzy? Ok we'll give you 11 million in hopes you hit the ice by 2008."

With Tallinder down, we're going to have to IR Timmy anyway.

Connolly will receive $8.9MM over 3 years, so I guess giving him $11MM won't help free up much money to bring back Taylor.

I honestly don't see anyway the Sabres would have been able to sign Connolly for less than they did. They could have let him walk outright because of the concussion, but I truly doubt he would have been brought back for much less than they did.

Why? Nathan Paetsch, who has been with the team all season long, will fill in. Am I missing something?

That means we have to go the duration of Tallinder's broken arm without anybody else missing a game, or Tim has to come back.......I believe I am correct in that.

Connolly will receive $8.9MM over 3 years, so I guess giving him $11MM won't help free up much money to bring back Taylor.

I honestly don't see anyway the Sabres would have been able to sign Connolly for less than they did. They could have let him walk outright because of the concussion, but I truly doubt he would have been brought back for much less than they did.

I am adding a year on for some reason. I know he is getting 3million a year. I would rather have JP and Pyatt.

I am adding a year on for some reason. I know he is getting 3million a year. I would rather have JP and Pyatt.

Well, if Connolly doesn't come back, I think everyone would rather have JP and Pyatt. But there are a few problems with this theory:

1. JP was awarded $2.9 million, which is exactly equal to Timmy's cap # (and $700K more than Timmy is making this year). So the choice was not Timmy vs. JP and Pyatt, it was Timmy vs. JP.

2. The Sabres didn't have the benefit of a crystal ball when making their decision last spring. They consulted medical experts and made an educated, deliberate decision. They chose to keep their #1 center and a guy who was being talked about last spring as a Conn Smythe contender before his concussion. $2.9 million a year is a lot of money, but it's well below market for a player like Connolly -- so the health risk was priced into the contract. Might they have been wrong? Of course. But it's only 10 games into the season. If Timmy comes back after the all-star break and is 100% by April I think we'll all be extremely happy.

3. Other than Connolly, whom would you have sacrificed to keep Pyatt? Gaustad, Mair, Roy, Novotny and Peters are all making less than Pyatt would've, so it would've had to be one of the higher-paid forwards. So that leaves us with: Pominville, Kotalik, Vanek and Hecht (I assume Max, Briere and Drury are safe from your chopping block). Each of those guys showed a LOT more than Pyatt did last year.

I liked Pyatt too, and in a perfect world I would gladly have kept him on the team. He's a hardworking young player with size, decent (but not really good) speed, and good hands who showed flashes of potential last year. It's certainly possible that Pyatt ends up this year with similar #s to, say, Kotalik -- esp. if he stays on the Sedins' line (of course, that's not really an apples-to-apples comparison unless Kotalik starts playing with Briere and Connolly). But we had to make a decision last summer based on the actual on-ice production of the group of forwards who were competing for roster spots and contracts. I just don't see how any GM would've chosen to sacrifice Kotalik, Pominville, Hecht or Vanek in favor of Pyatt.

Just my opinion.

TP and JPD may not necessarily fit in with this current bunch of forwards. Both of those guys are notabely slower than anyone on our top three lines and don't offer the same type of play that we currently get from our fourth line guys.

I am happy for Pyatt. He is in the perfect situation and if he even manages to keep up 50% of his current production, he will be making 3-4 million dollars in the near future.

I didn't think it was ever going to happen for Pyatt in Buffalo.

Finally the guy is in a good place with regular line mates and should be generating good numbers.

(of course the secret part of the equation is playing with the Sedins. Why do you think Vancouver let Carter walk? Hell, Andrew Peters would probably have a goal by now if he had a regular line with the Sedins)

I didn't think it was ever going to happen for Pyatt in Buffalo.

Finally the guy is in a good place with regular line mates and should be generating good numbers.

(of course the secret part of the equation is playing with the Sedins. Why do you think Vancouver let Carter walk? Hell, Andrew Peters would probably have a goal by now if he had a regular line with the Sedins)

They let him walk because they were tight against the cap and Carter was asking for around $4 million a year.

They let him walk because they were tight against the cap and Carter was asking for around $4 million a year.

You don't think he would have stayed for 2.5?

Managing a cap is about making choices. My point was in valuation.

The Sedin twins are sensational.

I would be very surprised if Carter scores more goals than Taylor Pyatt this year.

You don't think he would have stayed for 2.5?

Managing a cap is about making choices. My point was in valuation.

The Sedin twins are sensational.

I would be very surprised if Carter scores more goals than Taylor Pyatt this year.

No one showed any interest in Carter because of what he was asking for. He was a very late signing this offseason, still available around the time the Sabres walked away from JP's arbitration award. At that point, Vancouver's roster was set and they didn't have any cap space. If a $2.5 million Canuck offer was ever on the table for Carter, it was long before Anson finally figured out what his true value was.

Anyway, yeah, Quiet will probably finish the year ahead of Carter. Then he'll end up on another team next year with an inflated contract that he'll never live up to, while the Sedins pad the stats of some other worthless stiff (don't read that as a harsh criticism of Quiet, I'm just over exaggerating here).

Archived