Darcy Tucker should be suspended

BMWR100RT

I didn't see the whole game, just watched the highlight of the fights on hockeyfights.com, so I have to ask what gesture you are referring to? After the Belak-McGrattan scrap, I saw McGrattan and Belak yap at each other from the box, and McGrattan taunting Belak a little, but the clip didn't show anything towards the Leafs bench or team in general. Was it the 2-min unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he got halfway through the 1st period?

They're probably friends. It's all part of the game and these guys know it -- Peca has laid some dirty hits too. They're actors on a stage. Only the fans get into this artificial hate thing. If Tucker's a Sabre, we love him. Sorry to ruin the panty party. Carry on.

Yeah, I'm sure Eric Cole and Brooks Orpik are great buddies. It's all part of the game, right?

Now you're catching on. Ever hear of former combatants who end up on the same team duking it out? I just don't think those feelings leave the ice. If anyone ever swings on Darcy Tucker on a street corner in Toronto, it's going to be a drunk and very stupid Sabre fan and not Mike Peca. Remember, these guys are entertainers. It's like fighting. I believe there's an unwritten rule at work among the goons -- don't hit me too hard, and I won't hit you too hard. Next fight, count the slaps to the back of the head. I know women who hit harder. At least they aim for the nose! This reminds me that the NHL should get rid of all of this garbage. It has no place in the game anymore. Last season proved that once and for all.

I didn't see the whole game, just watched the highlight of the fights on hockeyfights.com, so I have to ask what gesture you are referring to? After the Belak-McGrattan scrap, I saw McGrattan and Belak yap at each other from the box, and McGrattan taunting Belak a little, but the clip didn't show anything towards the Leafs bench or team in general. Was it the 2-min unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he got halfway through the 1st period?

I saw McGratton making turtle like motions and pointing. Along with a bunch of other gestures. That and the Peters golf swing are nothing more than the player saying "look at me". I hate that crap.

Again, from watching the clip, it appeared to me that the gestures were made at Belak in the box and not at the Leafs in general. There didn't seem to be any talk of it by the announcers or the press after the game, and I didn't see any of the leafs complaining afterwards. That doesn't mean they didn't take offense to what McGratton did, but they sure seemed pretty quiet about it.

I don't have a problem with enforcers taunting each other but if McGrattan did taunt the bench, oh well. Send someone out to send a message to him - don't jump a non-fighter and then go to the box and taunt him - which is exactly what Tucker, a 3rd-rate, pseudo- tough guy, was doing in the box. Not surprisingly, Tucker gets "ice muscles" when the opponents' true enforcers on on the bench or in the box, and that was when he went after Eaves. In last nite's rematch, McGrattan didn't get his first shift of the game (according to the announcers) until midway through the 3rd period, when the game was out of hand. Tucker, who just minutes before was running around like his usual non-medicated self, banging everything and everyone, and doing his usual yappy, chippy, stick-swinging worst, was on the ice at the same time, but when he realized McGrattan was out there, his fiestiness disappeared. I don't think it was a coincidence.

While it didnt surrpise me that you managed to drag Peters into the debate., given your well-documented dislike for guys like Peters and McGrattan, I am surpised you aren't similarly outraged at Tucker, who did the same thing you accused McGrattan of doing, and is probably the most hated player in the NHL, outside of Toronto.

Meh. They're both big boys; Eaves wasn't totally innocent either; as the ref skates by it looks like he nods toward Tucker; hard to tell if he's accepting Tucker's invitation or headbutting Tucker; either way, he wasn't exactly trying to get away.

I've watched it about a dozen times now, and I don't see that at all. Tucker got pissed because he tried to run Eaves but got himself knocked down in the process; Tucker gets up and comes up from behind Eaves; Eaves turns around and sees Tucker and tries to turn away, but Tucker throws off his gloves and grabs Eaves, which is the time that Eaves actually turns back and squares up with him. I don't think Eaves nodded, said anything, invited him over, nothing, but I did see the "headbutt" which I think was accidental. It's hard to tell, since someone skates in front of the camera just as it happens, but it looked like it happened as Tucker grabbed Eaves and Eaves tried to throw off his gloves and grab Tucker's arms before Tucker started swinging.

I am not saying Eaves is a saint, but IMO, this is just another case of Tucker going tough guy on someone he knows isn't a fighter.

Anyway, while Tucker might the NHL's reigning cheap-shot artist, he's no dummy, backing down from Chris Neil's invitation for payback:

Rugged Senators winger Chris Neil did look for a fight at the opening faceoff as he lined up opposite Tucker and chirped in his ear, but the Leafs winger didn't accept the invitation.

"Kudos to him, he did what he needed to do," Tucker said of Neil. "It doesn't make sense to me to fight a 225-pound guy. I'm going to get walloped and everybody is going to get a good cheer out of it."

Again, from watching the clip, it appeared to me that the gestures were made at Belak in the box and not at the Leafs in general. There didn't seem to be any talk of it by the announcers or the press after the game, and I didn't see any of the leafs complaining afterwards. That doesn't mean they didn't take offense to what McGratton did, but they sure seemed pretty quiet about it.

I don't have a problem with enforcers taunting each other but if McGrattan did taunt the bench, oh well. Send someone out to send a message to him - don't jump a non-fighter and then go to the box and taunt him - which is exactly what Tucker, a 3rd-rate, pseudo- tough guy, was doing in the box. Not surprisingly, Tucker gets "ice muscles" when the opponents' true enforcers on on the bench or in the box, and that was when he went after Eaves. In last nite's rematch, McGrattan didn't get his first shift of the game (according to the announcers) until midway through the 3rd period, when the game was out of hand. Tucker, who just minutes before was running around like his usual non-medicated self, banging everything and everyone, and doing his usual yappy, chippy, stick-swinging worst, was on the ice at the same time, but when he realized McGrattan was out there, his fiestiness disappeared. I don't think it was a coincidence.

While it didnt surrpise me that you managed to drag Peters into the debate., given your well-documented dislike for guys like Peters and McGrattan, I am surpised you aren't similarly outraged at Tucker, who did the same thing you accused McGrattan of doing, and is probably the most hated player in the NHL, outside of Toronto.

I'll always give players like Tucker a benefit of the doubt because he can actually play hockey. Unlike players like Peters and McGratton who are a wastse of time.

Say what you want about Tucker. If he were doing all that in a Sabre uniform? Many of you would have a huge man-crush on him more then you have on Peters.

I'll always give players like Tucker a benefit of the doubt because he can actually play hockey. Unlike players like Peters and McGratton who are a wastse of time.

Say what you want about Tucker. If he were doing all that in a Sabre uniform? Many of you would have a huge man-crush on him more then you have on Peters.

Peters was drafted out of the 2nd round, last time I checked, not many "Enforcers who can't play hockey" get drafted that early

I believe it was in the minors his coaches wanted him to put on more weight to play more physically and he became more of an enforcer. The guy can play hockey, he is also still young and it may take him a while but will become a hockey player, probably someone more like Mair who plays hard and physical but still can score occasionally. He is one of the hardest working players on the team and they all like him.

Tucker is a cheap shot artist who can also play. That still doesn't mean i would want him on the team.

Peters was drafted out of the 2nd round, last time I checked, not many "Enforcers who can't play hockey" get drafted that early

I believe it was in the minors his coaches wanted him to put on more weight to play more physically and he became more of an enforcer. The guy can play hockey, he is also still young and it may take him a while but will become a hockey player, probably someone more like Mair who plays hard and physical but still can score occasionally. He is one of the hardest working players on the team and they all like him.

Tucker is a cheap shot artist who can also play. That still doesn't mean i would want him on the team.

Back in '98 when he was drafted Goons were still a factor in the NHL. He was drafted to replace Ray. If the Sabres knew that the NHL would change for the better they would have passed.

Using your logic that he must be good because he was a second round draft, one of three the sabres had. Kotalik was drafted 130 spots behind Peters. So by your logic he must be a much better player then Kotalik :doh:

The most upsetting thing about that fight is that Phillips and another player stood around and watched. The Sens are no team at all. They are done. All talent and no heart. Things are going to get worse for that team before they get better

What do you expect the Other sen's players to do? If they jump in they are taking a penalty. They got tucker back the right way. Challenged him to fight, and even though he turned down, they banged him all night.

For those of you not old enough to remember, there was a player for the Quebec Nordiques named Dale Hunter. Darcy Tucker reminds me a lot of Hunter, EXCEPT that Dale had twice the hockey talent, but was also twice the pain in the a$$. He would yap, spear, elbow and then duck and run. The Sabres had quite a rivalry going with the Nordiques in the 80's and Dale Hunter was a constant thorn in their side. He was a consumate cheap-shot artist, but could then turn around and score a couple of goals. I hated him AND the Nordiques (I think that is where Forsberg learned his brand of "chop-and-run").

Hunter moved to Washington after 1987 and played there for a decade, but he never seemed to be quite as bad a disturber there as he was in Quebec.

What do you expect the Other sen's players to do? If they jump in they are taking a penalty. They got tucker back the right way. Challenged him to fight, and even though he turned down, they banged him all night.

I saw Rene Robert jump off the bench to aid Dave Schultz against Pittsburgh. If a teammate is being mugged who sits back and thinks "I can't I will get a penalty". A "teammate" wouldn't think they would just be there. As I said in another thread, it was a nice response the next game. But if you are Eaves what do you think of Phillips and your teammates who did nothing.

I saw Rene Robert jump off the bench to aid Dave Schultz against Pittsburgh. If a teammate is being mugged who sits back and thinks "I can't I will get a penalty". A "teammate" wouldn't think they would just be there. As I said in another thread, it was a nice response the next game. But if you are Eaves what do you think of Phillips and your teammates who did nothing.

Fear must be maintained or the Empire is lost.

A "teammate" wouldn't think they would just be there. As I said in another thread, it was a nice response the next game. But if you are Eaves what do you think of Phillips and your teammates who did nothing.

If Eaves had wanted someone to step in, he wouldnt have dropped his gloves. He would have turtled and then i can guarantee that Phillips or Neil Or Fisher would jump in, but you dont get in a fight where both players have dropped the gloves.

How can these players be a waste of time? Every team in the league has at least one, if not two enforcers. They are there for a reason and scoring isn't it. If you despise the rough stuff so much, which has ALWAYS been part of the game, then stop watching and complaining about it. :thumbsup:

How can these players be a waste of time? Every team in the league has at least one, if not two enforcers. They are there for a reason and scoring isn't it. If you despise the rough stuff so much, which has ALWAYS been part of the game, then stop watching and complaining about it. :thumbsup:

My problem with it is that that only fight each other anymore. It's not like when Gare would battle Clark Gillies or something, or Schony would immediately go after someone who took a run at Bert. But that's not hhow it works. 90 percent of these guys do not take a regular shift and are certainly not on the ice with their team's best players. So unless they come off the bench when something happens, they are all but useless.

If I am someone on Ottawa, for instance and I am playing the Sabres, what happens if I cheap-shot someone? Peters comes out and fights McGratton the next shift. What the hell did that solve? It's like a freakin DH, there is no real recourse. I can do whatever I want and someone else has to take the fastball in the ribs (or kick the guy's butt, but I'm still not fighting my battle.) Peters is not protecting anyone because, like you said, EVERYONE has one of these guys and they know when it is time to fight and they do it and then life goes on.

I understand there is some entertainment value, for some more than others, but that's what it is. They like to see people fight, and that's fine. But then don't try to sell us on how they contribute SO MUCH to the hockey side. They don't.

My problem with it is that that only fight each other anymore. It's not like when Gare would battle Clark Gillies or something, or Schony would immediately go after someone who took a run at Bert. But that's not hhow it works. 90 percent of these guys do not take a regular shift and are certainly not on the ice with their team's best players. So unless they come off the bench when something happens, they are all but useless.

If I am someone on Ottawa, for instance and I am playing the Sabres, what happens if I cheap-shot someone? Peters comes out and fights McGratton the next shift. What the hell did that solve? It's like a freakin DH, there is no real recourse. I can do whatever I want and someone else has to take the fastball in the ribs (or kick the guy's butt, but I'm still not fighting my battle.) Peters is not protecting anyone because, like you said, EVERYONE has one of these guys and they know when it is time to fight and they do it and then life goes on.

I understand there is some entertainment value, for some more than others, but that's what it is. They like to see people fight, and that's fine. But then don't try to sell us on how they contribute SO MUCH to the hockey side. They don't.

I agree with some points. Once in awhile a tough guy will get payback on the actual player that delivered a cheapshot. It may not be that game, but recourse is usually always given some way or another. When you say "the hockey side" I know you mean skating, passing, scoring etc. But fighting has always been a part of "the hockey side" also. There are many more fights per year then penalty shots. I would rather see more penalty shots, but I enjoy a good donnybrook now and then too.

Archived