Are the Yankees popular in Buffalo?

Barnabov

Being from Watkins Glen, the Yankees are big there but maybe they aren't in WNY so don't want to annoy anyone on the board by expressing pro Pinstripes sentiments. Growing up we only got the 3 TV channels + WPIX from NYC with Yankees baseball so you were pretty much born to it. Now with Satellite, my little Texan son is also a Yankees fan (thank God for technology or else I'd have to seriously consider braving the winters at home just so we could live where we could follow our teams).

Oh my goodness. Shutup. Even you retard Yankee fans invade the Sabres boards too.

Go suck on your 26 rings and stop posting about your dominance.

Sorry, anyway yes, there are tons of heathens like yourself in Buffalo. The Yankees and their fans make me see red.... so I apologize. When I said "retard" I used it in a general way...not you directly.

Oh my goodness. Shutup. Even you retard Yankee fans invade the Sabres boards too.

Go suck on your 26 rings and stop posting about your dominance.

Sorry, anyway yes, there are tons of heathens like yourself in Buffalo. The Yankees and their fans make me see red.... so I apologize. When I said "retard" I used it in a general way...not you directly.

Forgive him, he has to start his 2 token daily threads. With the season about to start, there's not very much to talk about around here.

October is good for one thing, it brings together all the fans of the non playoff teams for one goal, To cheer against the Yankees.

Most Yankee fans are proud of their 26 championships and making the playoffs all the time. I would be embarassed that with the dominance they have payroll wise, they do not go undefeated every year.

October is good for one thing, it brings together all the fans of the non playoff teams for one goal, To cheer against the Yankees.

Most Yankee fans are proud of their 26 championships and making the playoffs all the time. I would be embarassed that with the dominance they have payroll wise, they do not go undefeated every year.

I'll second that - my two favorite teams are the Indians, and whoever is playing the Yankees... :D

what is with this?? The Yankees are Buffalo's team. I grew up in buffalo and have ALWAYS been a yankee fan, everyone in my family is a Yankee fan and I mean everyone, everyone I knew growing up was a yankee fan. To me, the above is a strange response from some buffalo people.

maybe younger people have changed because of the new cable stations and the internet....

Why are the Yankees "Buffalo's team?" First, NYC is ~6+ hours from Buffalo (almost 400 miles) while regional teams in Pittsburgh, Cleveland & Toronto are physically closer; and Cleveland & Pittsburgh are more similar in terms of market size, community makeup, etc. - the typical small-market vs. big-market animosity.

Personally, I think a lot of people hate NY teams is the same reason they hate NYC itself - too much of a "the world revolves around us" mentality; a condescending view of everything not Big Apple-related; a sense of entitlement to every sports championship and world-class player; and a feeling of disbelief if the New Yorkers don't win it all.

Just my .02 cents...

what is with this?? The Yankees are Buffalo's team. I grew up in buffalo and have ALWAYS been a yankee fan, everyone in my family is a Yankee fan and I mean everyone, everyone I knew growing up was a yankee fan. To me, the above is a strange response from some buffalo people.

maybe younger people have changed because of the new cable stations and the internet....

Why exactly would a team from NYC obviously be "Buffalo's team"? I can't accept this as anything but front running garbage. They aren't even the closest team. It would be natural for Buffalonians to root for the Indians, the MLB's team whose farm team plays in Buffalo. Just as many Rochesterians root for the Orioles/Twins (they recently swtiched affiliates). I'm not sure how any one from Western NY can like the Yankees. We root for the underdogs, the Sabres and the Bills. The Indians and Twins fit that role perfectly. Instead, we get a bunch of bandwagoners rooting for a team that represents everything that is wrong with sports.

Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for big business, monopolies, and oil companies to maximize profits. Their is nothing inherently right about rooting for the odds on favorite every year. You and your friends and family made a conscious decision to root for the best team. Not the local team, not the cool team, not the team with ties to your city, but you chose a team that wins 70% of all the games it plays.

So when you say it is strange to get that response from people from Buffalo, it is people like yourself that create the loathing amongst the non-believers. It is your exaggerated cheering, your ridiculous oversized stickers on your vehicle, your insistance on wearing that flat brimmed Yankee cap that makes us all want to vomit. The Yankees are the exact opposite of what this part of the country represents and shame on you for embracing the arrogant, malignant cancer they have become.

...don't want to annoy anyone on the board by expressing pro Pinstripes sentiments.

Too late. :rolleyes:

Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for big business, monopolies, and oil companies to maximize profits. Their is nothing inherently right about rooting for the odds on favorite every year. You and your friends and family made a conscious decision to root for the best team. Not the local team, not the cool team, not the team with ties to your city, but you chose a team that wins 70% of all the games it plays.

To quote ESPN.com's Sports Guy: "Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for the house in blackjack."

And from a great Rick Reilly column in SI(albeit from nearly 7 years ago):

"364. Rooting for the Yankees takes all the courage, imagination, conviction and baseball intelligence of Spam. It's like rooting for Brad Pitt to get the girl or for Bill Gates to hit Scratch 'n' Win. (This is why I'm proposing legislation that would allow only those born in one of the five New York boroughs to be Yankees fans. All others who root for the team will be considered overdog-loving, Eveready-chucking, bandwagon-hopping, fair-weather, brownnose, pucker-lipped human goiters and be required to turn in their pinstriped underwear or be tossed into the East River with only Chuck Knoblauch to throw them a life preserver.)"

Yeah, you just gotta hate the yankees. I cheered for the yankees until I was old enough to realize that they didn't just get lucky every year, and that in baseball it is always going to be the same teams in the playoffs plus one or two wild cards each year. That is why I don't bother wasting my time with a 162 games and get one or two surprises.

BS on the Yankees being Buffalo's team. Where were all these Yankee fans in the late 80's/early 90's when they sucked hind tit year after year. :angry: :P I hate the Yankees and will be cheering for ANY of the other 7 teams in the playoffs.

PS By chance are you Irish, grew up in South Buffalo and also love Notre Dame? :P

I really didn't think my post would be so warmly accepted. But i'm loving the anti-Yankee sentiment.

I'm originally from Buffalo and I don't remember, until the yanks went to MSG, the Yankees being on Buffalo TV. I remember the Mets and Jays being on alot. I'd hardly consider the Yankees "buffalo's team". Most people really don't care that much about baseball in Buffalo. I live in Albany now and alot more people pay attention on a daily basis it seems. Most of my Albany friends (who are Yank fans) ask me "How can you be from NY and root for the Red Sox?" The answer is simple. I'm from Buffalo...who doesn't have an MLB team, and the Yankees play 450 miles away from my hometown."

Anyway, my hatred for the Yankees knows no boundaries. Like someone posted earlier, Buffalonians root for the underdogs. People blast me back for being a Red Sox fan. There is an 80 million dollar disparity in Boston and NYY's payroll. I'm not saying Boston doesn't have ridiculous resources, but NYY can spend a quarter bill without batting an eyelash.

Why is it that most Yankee fans, who are not from NYC root for the Lakers, 49ers, and Fighting Irish on average? Is it frontrunning? probably... is it TV exposure? maybe.

and the Yankees play 450 miles away from my hometown."

Thank you.

Anyway, my hatred for the Yankees knows no boundaries. Like someone posted earlier, Buffalonians root for the underdogs.

My skin tingles with hate when I hear the word.

Yeah, you just gotta hate the yankees. I cheered for the yankees until I was old enough to realize that they didn't just get lucky every year, and that in baseball it is always going to be the same teams in the playoffs plus one or two wild cards each year. That is why I don't bother wasting my time with a 162 games and get one or two surprises.

That's my dirty little secret too, I used to be a Yankees fan until I knew the difference. I will admit that one of my favorite players growing up was Don Mattingly, and that there are some great players in history that it pains me to admire b/c they wore the pinstripes...

Ive been a Yankees fan for 25+ years, and I am as much of fan of baseball as the Yankees itself...I take offense personally to the following thoughts:

1. ALL Yankees fans are bandwagon jumpers: Oh really? So all those games I went to as a kid to watch Clay Parker and Mel Hall play at Yankee Stadium make me a bandwagon jumper? Ok.. :unsure:

2. ONLY the Yankees and a few other teams make the playoffs: I understand the Braves and the Yankees dominance...but what about the last few WS Champions? White Sox, Red Sox, Marlins, Angels, Diamondbacks...yep...SAME teams win every year!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is the cycle for October: Anti-Yankees fans bitch and whine about $ this and $ that, Ill never watch etc...to basically set themselves up just in case the Yankees win....then, when teams like the Marlins, Red Sox, White Sox, etc...won it all, they are the first ones popping the champagne celebrating baseball.

Weak.

Despite what everyone is saying, there are a TON of Yankee fans in Buffalo. I know this because I spend my day fighting with most of them about how they might as well root for Satan (Not Miro......Ok maybe Miro too). I think it comes from the fact that our parents and our parents parents were fans of the Empire, so it trickled down. How many times have you heard...."Dude, I've been following the Yankees all my life." I get that arguement all the time. I'll admit, when I was younger, my mom and dad had me it the Yankee onsies, and I had that garbage on my walls. But when I grew up and was able to think for myself, that changed.

Unfortunately, I can't be all that bright, because I've been a Cubbies fan since I was 10 and also love the tribe. So I guess, disregard this post.

My dream is to turn on WGR at 8pm on a Friday night in summer, and hear ANYTHING BUT FREAKING JOHN STERLING!!!!!!

My dream is to turn on WGR at 8pm on a Friday night in summer, and hear ANYTHING BUT FREAKING JOHN STERLING!!!!!!

I'm looking forward to the day when all Yankee braodcasts will be PPV or PPL.

Anti-Yankees fans bitch and whine about $ this and $ that, Ill never watch etc...

Nope. I don't bitch about the Yankees, just their fans.

Amen to that....

I'm not sure what annoys me more...

1. BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLGAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEE OVERRRRRRRRRRR. TTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEE YAAANNNNNNNNNNNKEEEEESSSSSSSS WIIIIIINNNNNNN!!!!

or

2. ANOTHER AAAAAAAA-BOMB FOR AAAAAAAAAA_RODDDDDDD!!!!!!!

or

3. Sterling and Susan Waldman ballwashing one of the current Yankees talking about their greatness! That idiot would use the term "GREAT" to describe a Derek Jeter crap! F***ing morons!

God I want to reach into my radio and punch both of them!

when I was growing up we had WPIX, a NYC station and I'm pretty sure the Yankees were on that... plus we used to listen to them on the radio all the time. It has nothing to do with how close buffalo is to a team...

Family has a lot to do with it, like I said everyone in my family loved the Yankees starting with both sides of my Grandparents (from the 1920s-30s)... hell my grandfather who is blind in one eye and can barely see anything in the other still "watches" everygame and can tell you play by play for anything that happened in the most recent game and he's 91 yrs old.

my brother and I used to fall asleep with our radio's underneath our pillows listening to the Yankee games...

and for the record, I'm not irish, and I didn't grow up in south buffalo... also don't really like ND.

I love how people think the Yankees win "all the time", did you people skip the 1980s and early 90s?? I was still wearing my Yankee gear then, and to be honest I haven't bought anything but a new hat since they won in '96, pretty much because of these bandwagon jumpers. I loved Mattingly, Winfield, Randolph, Dent, Goose, Guidry, Henderson, Cirone, etc... I loved them when they weren't winning as much as Jeter and the gang...

Archived