Not Good For Biron

syr6987

Good grief, didn't these guys learn ANYTHING from his last "stint" there?

You mean when they won the Cup?

Anyway. I have come to believe that "HockeyBuzz" is latin for 'no chance in helll of ever happening'.

Didn't they in a weeks time run stories on Briere that :

1) There wil be a long term deal.

2) He will be traded to the Canucks.

3) He will be traded to the Habs.

4) The Sabres will accept his arbitration award.

I guess if you throw enough crap against a wall something has to stick. :lol:

Are you referring to the Wings' brass, the fearless (or should I say, clueless) prognosticators at Eklund's site, or both?

Or maybe we are all just too dumb to understand how the rumor process works! :lol: I can think of one person who doesn't post here anymore that used to suggest that when we doubted Eklund.

Actually no, I meant when he returned to avoid being prosecuted in the Czech Republic and played three months for them before coming down with one of those oh so nagging injuries of his.

Are you referring to the Wings' brass, the fearless (or should I say, clueless) prognosticators at Eklund's site, or both?

Wing's brass, I don't much follow hockey rumour sites, so I couldn't comment on those. Although they do appear rather, shall we say, "consistent in being wrong"?

Actually no, I meant when he returned to avoid being prosecuted in the Czech Republic and played three months for them before coming down with one of those oh so nagging injuries of his.

Would that be the same year he played 14 games? Aaah yes, you'd think they'd learn.

Well, what else are they going to do?

Its not like the Sabres top priority right now is dealing Biron and the Wings need a starter and would probably like one before the season starts. Buffalo is going to screw themselves on the deal cause by the time they get around to dealing Biron, no one will be looking at picking him up.

Well, what else are they going to do?

Its not like the Sabres top priority right now is dealing Biron and the Wings need a starter and would probably like one before the season starts. Buffalo is going to screw themselves on the deal cause by the time they get around to dealing Biron, no one will be looking at picking him up.

Really, the season starts in August? Regier is probably waiting until the arbitration period ends (around August 5th) before dealing Biron. There's a good chance the Sabres will be so tight to the cap that they'll have to trade him for picks rather than a player.

Really, the season starts in August? Regier is probably waiting until the arbitration period ends (around August 5th) before dealing Biron. There's a good chance the Sabres will be so tight to the cap that they'll have to trade him for picks rather than a player.

or perhaps b/c we don't have anyone to back up Miller and he is not going to deal him simply for the sake of doing so.

Well lets take a look at this realistically. Detroit looks like it is the only team currently in the hunt for a goaltender and rumors have had Detroit interested in him. Detroit is going to want to get something in place sooner rather then later (one can assume) and Regier is on record as saying he will not deal Biron until he has a replacement in line for him. So far, Miller has not been resigned, and there have been no reports that Buffalo has even been in talks with anybody for a replacement backup goalie. I can't see Detroit saying to Buffalo, when your ready, give us a call, we'll wait until you have everything settled and then make a deal. I can't see Detroit waiting much longer for Buffalo to make their move and are probably ready to make a move on another goalie.

No where did I say Buffalo would get anything more for Biron then prospects or draft picks. The move was to settle the goaltending situation in Buffalo (a backup making too much money and wanting to be a starter). I can't see them getting much of a return for him either cause the gaolie market seems to be a buyers market anyway. That is why they needed to act fast and not sit on their hands until they received the offer of the century. I would be very disapointed to see a guy like Briere get moved because of money while we have a $2+ million backup goalie on the bench.

Well the same blog entry that contends that Detroit is looking at Hasek also says "If Anson Carter does land in Toronto in the next day or so, the Wings will not be able to pick up the top 6 forward they need to feel comfortable moving a top 6 guy for Biron or Giguere."

So, now all of a sudden Detroit was willing to deal a top 6 forward for Biron as long as they could get Carter? Supposedly it is a buyer's market for goalies and we are expecting a draft pick or at best a prospect, and now they are going to give up a top 6 guy? I'm not buying that, nor am I buying the Hasek rumor. Detroit is floating that out there to make someone (Darcy?) nervous and hurry things along.

The 3-team deal being rumored that is supposedly on hold until all the sabres hearings/signings are done is much more likely than getting a top 6 forward from Detroit when they (the Wings) have other options.

Well lets take a look at this realistically. Detroit looks like it is the only team currently in the hunt for a goaltender and rumors have had Detroit interested in him. Detroit is going to want to get something in place sooner rather then later (one can assume) and Regier is on record as saying he will not deal Biron until he has a replacement in line for him. So far, Miller has not been resigned, and there have been no reports that Buffalo has even been in talks with anybody for a replacement backup goalie. I can't see Detroit saying to Buffalo, when your ready, give us a call, we'll wait until you have everything settled and then make a deal. I can't see Detroit waiting much longer for Buffalo to make their move and are probably ready to make a move on another goalie.

No where did I say Buffalo would get anything more for Biron then prospects or draft picks. The move was to settle the goaltending situation in Buffalo (a backup making too much money and wanting to be a starter). I can't see them getting much of a return for him either cause the gaolie market seems to be a buyers market anyway. That is why they needed to act fast and not sit on their hands until they received the offer of the century. I would be very disapointed to see a guy like Briere get moved because of money while we have a $2+ million backup goalie on the bench.

Why do you always assume that because no deal has happened that there is not one in the works? I know you like to think Darcy is inept, but I find it very hard to believe that he is not doing anything at all about the Biron situation.

Anyway. I have come to believe that "HockeyBuzz" is latin for 'no chance in helll of ever happening'.

Didn't they in a weeks time run stories on Briere that :

1) There wil be a long term deal.

2) He will be traded to the Canucks.

3) He will be traded to the Habs.

4) The Sabres will accept his arbitration award.

I guess if you throw enough crap against a wall something has to stick. :lol:

lol

Regier isn't waiting for the deal of the century, he's waiting to see what the Sabres cap situation is going to look like when the arbitration hearings end. Will he be able to trade Biron's salary for an established player's salary, or will he need Biron's salary to sign the remaining RFAs and Miller and Kalinin? He probably won't know until Afinegenov's ruling comes in. That's what he is waiting for.

The Sabres are about $14 million under the cap with Briere's award, so this isn't about Golisano being cheap anymore, and it's not about waiting for the perfect deal. If they want to sign Briere, and any combination of Max, Dumont, Miller, or Kalinin, and still have some space under the cap during the season to make deals, they have to trade Biron for picks. As for a backup, a guy like Brian Boucher might fit the bill, but again, the other signings come first.

So let's do look at this realistically from Detroit's point of view. They could sign Hasek, a guy who quit on them and the Senators his last two seasons. They could trade for either Guiguere ($4 million) or Nabokov ($5 million) offering an established guy like Draper. Or they could trade draft picks for Biron ($2 million), and keep their current lineup intact, but they have to wait another week to make the deal.

Who really knows what the hell is going to happen. Detroit could roll the dice on Hasek, since he did help win their last Cup, and hope that when the playoffs roll around he's in the mood to play. They could covet Guigere, who has played in the finals and is coming off a 30 win season. They could be willing to part with a guy like Draper, even though they're thin up front.

But if I look at it realistically, as you suggest, Biron is the bargain of the bunch. Waiting until the second week of August (a meaningless week in the offseason) to make the deal is a small price for Detroit to pay, when you consider the other options.

The way we are paying players, $2.1 million for Biron is no longer out of line for a backup goalie.

Lydman,Teppo,Spacek,Tallinder,Campbell,Kalinin=$12million+

Those six will average over $2million, and will average 20 minutes of ice time per game, or 1 out of every 3 minutes.

If Biron plays 1 out of every 3 minutes, that would be 27 games to Miller's 55 games, which is not very far off from where you want it.

My theory says.....isn't a minute of Marty worth a minute of any of our D-men?

The way we are paying players, $2.1 million for Biron is no longer out of line for a backup goalie.

Lydman,Teppo,Spacek,Tallinder,Campbell,Kalinin=$12million+

Those six will average over $2million, and will average 20 minutes of ice time per game, or 1 out of every 3 minutes.

If Biron plays 1 out of every 3 minutes, that would be 27 games to Miller's 55 games, which is not very far off from where you want it.

My theory says.....isn't a minute of Marty worth a minute of any of our D-men?

agree. unless we get a great deal for him, biron has not yet outlived his usefulness.

Archived