Not Good For Biron

syr6987

Well, I guess Regier won't need to worry about getting a new backup goalie, Its Biron again.

I'm sure he is so excited right now that he is coming back his cozy spot on the bench

I don't know, Biron still might end up in Detroit ... maybe not for much, but can they really go in with Osgood and Hasek? Why not bring in Vernon and make it a 3-way battle of the old guys ... I bet Carrado Micalef is available too ...

Actually, what if Osgood was part of a deal for Biron? $900,000 for osgood to play 20 games ... we could do worse ...

Yes, I am talking out my ass ...

For once, Detroit may actually be ready to stick with one of their prospects. Jim Howard was a damn good goalie at the college level, but he's not quite NHL ready yet. A one year deal for old man Hasek means Howard probably will get his shot next year.

I don't think he's washed up in the sense that he can't play ... if you had to win one game, you could do worse. BUt he IS still insane and he can't stay healthy for the long haul. For that price it's not a horrible risk, but I think I'd want a backup plan or at least someone I can truse to play 40 games so maybe Hasek hits the playoffs healthy for once.

As soon as a goalie gets hurt, someone will come knocking at Buffalo's door. The price will be high for Biron, perhaps a 1st rounder if they're desperate enough.

Or they turn to the FA market that still has some decent backups left (Boucher, Legace) and not give up a 1st rounder.

Was this the plan all along? wait for the goalie market to dry up worse then the shahara and then drive up the price of Marty to where teams still won't jump at the offer?

I actually feel sorry for him, the guy deserves a chance to atleast try for a starting job somewhere, probably wasn't a smart move to sign that Qualifying Offer "To speed up the trade progress"

Or they turn to the FA market that still has some decent backups left (Boucher, Legace) and not give up a 1st rounder.

Was this the plan all along? wait for the goalie market to dry up worse then the shahara and then drive up the price of Marty to where teams still won't jump at the offer?

I actually feel sorry for him, the guy deserves a chance to atleast try for a starting job somewhere, probably wasn't a smart move to sign that Qualifying Offer "To speed up the trade progress"

What if there were no good offers for him in the first place? You seem like you would much rather be critical for a deal not happening than answer that question.

What if there were no good offers for him in the first place? You seem like you would much rather be critical for a deal not happening than answer that question.

Well, I have heard people saying they would be happy with picks, to prospects, to some big names for Biron, I on the other hand just want to see the mess over with, if he wants to start somewhere else, let him go, get whatever you can for him and save that money for someone else. I'd hate to see a guy like Briere go because of salary while Biron is still sitting on the bench getting payed what he is. He won't be the starter here, he knows it, we know it, everyone knows it, so its time to move on.

Well, I have heard people saying they would be happy with picks, to prospects, to some big names for Biron, I on the other hand just want to see the mess over with, if he wants to start somewhere else, let him go, get whatever you can for him and save that money for someone else. I'd hate to see a guy like Briere go because of salary while Biron is still sitting on the bench getting payed what he is. He won't be the starter here, he knows it, we know it, everyone knows it, so its time to move on.

Amen. And dare I say...Double Amen.*

*The above post does not represent the religious views, expressions, or practices of the poster, nor does it posit the existance of a supreme being or its involvement in the choosing, promoting, and, it would seem, communicating to, champions of sport.

Why let him go now for a bag of used pucks when a couple of months down the line you may be able to get more value for him.

Why let him go now for a bag of used pucks when a couple of months down the line you may be able to get more value for him.

Because his salary is off the payroll and it can help sign someone else that still needs to be re-signed. It would have been nice to get somethin good for him, but that time has passed since we took too long to get a deal done, now you taking a chance paying him starter money to keep him on a bench (something everyone here would agree they can't aford to do) and let someone that could have a bigger impact go because of it.

Because his salary is off the payroll and it can help sign someone else that still needs to be re-signed. It would have been nice to get somethin good for him, but that time has passed since we took too long to get a deal done, now you taking a chance paying him starter money to keep him on a bench (something everyone here would agree they can't aford to do) and let someone that could have a bigger impact go because of it.

Someone will lose a starting goalie at some point. Patience is key here.

But will they lose one before we have to purge some salary to keep a player around that will see ice time?

Before everyone was so concerned with TG's money and the budget, but now its different?

Everyone was concerned about overspending for players because it will hurt the team in the long run.

Paying Biron for a short period of time waiting for the right deal may be better off for the team in the long run.

Archived