Slug Logo Trademarked by Sabres

Preds

Saw this on another forum. I don't think it gets much more official than this.

This SUCKS.

Here's a link (query the owner name or serial numbers below):

Go here: http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm

- click on Search (on right side of screen)

- click on New User Form Search (Basic)

- for Search Term type "Hockey Western New York"

- change the Field drop down box to "Owner Name and Address"

- click on Submit Query

or change the Field drop down box to search Serial #'s and use the following:

Slug Logo - 78927159 and 78927157

B Logo - 78927157 and 78927125

or change it to search Serial #'s and use the following:

*edited to fix link

Looks like the just filed for it too on July 11th ....

Weird thing, listed among the trademarks owned by WNY hockey ... the Seatle Sonics logo?

ImageAgentProxy?getImage=74631499

Is that what that S Basketball logo is? I had no clue.

From what I read on the other board, the late filing is not unusual. THe Ducks logo was filed only a couple weeks before it was unveiled apparently too.

good find preds... And call me stupid, but the logo does not look bad in black and white... maybe its the puke yellow that's pissing everyone off... I would like to see the crossed swords though!

edit: does that mean that the sabres can sue us for trademark infringement?

good find preds... And call me stupid, but the logo does not look bad in black and white... maybe its the puke yellow that's pissing everyone off... I would like to see the crossed swords though!

edit: does that mean that the sabres can sue us for trademark infringement?

I agee, I actually wouldn't mind it without the ugly colors. Still would not be my first choice for the new logo if I could pick.

That link didn't work for me. Try this link and click on search:

http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm

Notice that the logo is in the search category of "stylized bovines." I loved their stuff back in the mid 90s.

Apparently the US Gov't doesn't allow links for searches (for an extended period of time at least. Here's how to obtain the info:

Go here: http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm (as mentioned above)

- click on Search (on right side of screen)

- click on New User Form Search (Basic)

- for Search Term type "Hockey Western New York"

- change the Field drop down box to "Owner Name and Address"

- click on Submit Query

or change the Field drop down box to search Serial #'s and use the following:

I guess I am still in disbelief, but remember that just because a logo is trademarked doesnt necessarily mean it will be used. They can trademark multiple logos if they want.

EDIT: I don't think its too late! We can still defeat the sluggalo

Just curious, but why isn't the "original logo" in the search? I'm sure they still hold the trademark for it. Also, why do the Sabres (Western New York) hold the trademark for the Amerks? And, how is it that the same Attorney of record listed for Rigas' trade mark (goathead) is also Golisano's Attorney of record for the slug? I have a hard time believing that he is using the same legal people that Rigas used. Just kind of seems strange.

Just curious, but why isn't the "original logo" in the search? I'm sure they still hold the trademark for it. Also, why do the Sabres (Western New York) hold the trademark for the Amerks? And, how is it that the same Attorney of record listed for Rigas' trade mark (goathead) is also Golisano's Attorney of record for the slug? I have a hard time believing that he is using the same legal people that Rigas used. Just kind of seems strange.

Because during the Bankruptcy the Sabres were reborn as Hockey Western New York, LLC. They had been Niagara Frontier Hockey, LLC.

The Sabres DON'T own the trademark for the Amerks logo. The AMERKS do.

As for using the same people that Rigas used, I see no reason to punt someone who is doing a good job just because he worked for the last crew. There are several people working for the Sabres today that worked for them when Seymour ran the show.

Dave,

I only mentioned the Amerks logo because it came up with the thread in the original posters link (as did the Sonics logo),I was pretty sure that Roch. would own it , was curious why it came under "hockey western New York". Also, I would have thought that when TG purchased the Sabres (and the ownership name was changed) that he would have also acquired the original logo- so that it also would have been found under that heading in the search (as the goathead and other logos were). If he (or "western hockey N.Y.) doesn't own the original trademark - through the purchase of the team- It may explain why the "new" logo doesnt resemble it - And as for the Atty- I just thought it Ironic that he would have the same attorneys as the previous owner, i would have thought he had a firm that did his work from his other business and would have continued to use them, never really thought about it being a Sabres employee in that sense. Didn't mean to imply that the attorney was inept or crooked (actually I would guess the word attorney would do that on its own :) (only kidding)

Dave,

I only mentioned the Amerks logo because it came up with the thread in the original posters link (as did the Sonics logo),I was pretty sure that Roch. would own it , was curious why it came under "hockey western New York". Also, I would have thought that when TG purchased the Sabres (and the ownership name was changed) that he would have also acquired the original logo- so that it also would have been found under that heading in the search (as the goathead and other logos were). If he (or "western hockey N.Y.) doesn't own the original trademark - through the purchase of the team- It may explain why the "new" logo doesnt resemble it - And as for the Atty- I just thought it Ironic that he would have the same attorneys as the previous owner, i would have thought he had a firm that did his work from his other business and would have continued to use them, never really thought about it being a Sabres employee in that sense. Didn't mean to imply that the attorney was inept or crooked (actually I would guess the word attorney would do that on its own :) (only kidding)

I pointed out that the Sabres don't own the Amerks logo because the entity that owns it is "Western New York Hockey" (a.k.a. the Amerks) not "Hockey Western New York" (a.k.a. the Sabres).

It appears that the Shatanic Goathead's registration renewal came due AFTER the team was transferred to HWNY. The other logos that were owned by NFH are still "live", so Tommy didn't abandon them. I would expect that as the renewals come due, that you will eventually see ALL the Sabres logos assigned to HWNY.

The Attorney appears to be in the employ of NHL Enterprises, so there is no reason whatsoever for the Sabres to want someone else to handle the case. (Although there are other attorneys of record for different logos. My guess is the pile gets handed out to whoever is next up in the batting order.)

Attorney jokes don't bother me, as I am an Engineer by background (although I do "impersonate" an Attorney in one of my fields of expertise). I actually LIKE attorney jokes. (Aside to Hopeless - Sorry, no offense intended. ;) )

I pointed out that the Sabres don't own the Amerks logo because the entity that owns it is "Western New York Hockey" (a.k.a. the Amerks) not "Hockey Western New York" (a.k.a. the Sabres).

It appears that the Shatanic Goathead's registration renewal came due AFTER the team was transferred to HWNY. The other logos that were owned by NFH are still "live", so Tommy didn't abandon them. I would expect that as the renewals come due, that you will eventually see ALL the Sabres logos assigned to HWNY.

The Attorney appears to be in the employ of NHL Enterprises, so there is no reason whatsoever for the Sabres to want someone else to handle the case. (Although there are other attorneys of record for different logos. My guess is the pile gets handed out to whoever is next up in the batting order.)

Attorney jokes don't bother me, as I am an Engineer by background (although I do "impersonate" an Attorney in one of my fields of expertise). I actually LIKE attorney jokes. (Aside to Hopeless - Sorry, no offense intended. ;) )

I'm not one yet! Gotta take those fun tests this week first. I still like the jokes! :lol:

Thanks Dave,

I did tajke a second look at the link and saw the Amerks thing - I thought it would show all the logos "owned " by the team - thatwas my question regarding the original -

and Lawyer jokes aside, I'm a police officer and deal with many - there truly are good ones , and slime balls.

1. Amazing find, good work

2. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. I cannot believe that ugly piece of crap is our logo. The least they could do, now that they know we hate it so much is to use the stupid B with the sword through it as the primary jersey logo.

edit: Man di the Sabres brass take us that literally when we said we want "gold and blue". Did they not realize that our saying that implied we wanted the logo also?

edit: Man di the Sabres brass take us that literally when we said we want "gold and blue". Did they not realize that our saying that implied we wanted the logo also?

Yes, to anyone with firing synapses, a return to the blue and gold meant bringing back the old logo in some form. Those responsible for this fiasco either chose to ignore this fact or are collectively brain dead.

Well, from all indications, we'll be getting the old logo back in one form or another, but apparently on the third jersey. Our one last glimmer of hope is that perhaps the slug will leave its sticky trail on the third jersey instead. I guess I could live with that.

Here's a thought: did the Sabres leak the logo in late June so to brace people for the change, hoping to get the negative response out of the way when it is officially unveiled? You can already feel slug fatigue setting in. How much will anyone have left by way of protest come September?

Archived