The Slug Logo Show on WGR Today at 3pm

PTS

I don't understand the idea of "waiting for the whole package." The logo has to stand by itself in many ways, from stationery to the web site to a t-shirt. You can't put icing on a turd and call it a chocolate doughnut. Now I'm hungry.

PTS, please stop defending these guys. You can tell in their voices they have their marching orders and don't believe 90% of what they are saying. I've been a huge critic of Schopp, but I've never said he's not passionate and intelligent. You can just hear that his heart is not in this. It's painful to listen to. I really feel for these two guys. But we've all done things in a work situation that we disagreed with. What are they going to do? I'm sure they like being employed.

Dave... you just blew my mind.

You are correct, my bad.

No, you were correct about Phoenix and about the Caps as well.

The word "CAPITALS" is on the FULL logo of the Falling Eagle (boy, isn't that appropriate), but isn't shown on the sweater, probably because the Capitol logo (which is the shoulder patch of that one) has the words "WASHINGTON CAPITALS" across it.

I think we are channeling our hate to the wrong place. We HATE the logo! Get it straight.

I think you've just captured the general idea around this place. Everyone hates everything. The negativity in this town sucks. It sucks and it stinks and it sucks. Gilbert Perreault is not walking through that door (wearing the old jersey). Pat LaFontaine is not walking through that door (wearing the old jersey).

What I said really wasn't about the logo. Lately, it seems like people bitch about everything.

It's because the median age in the city is 67.

The logo itself doesn't worry me....the fact that they (Quinn,et al) believe this will sell is what worries me. It's the same attitude that Tom Donahoe had. Fluff everyone around with uniforms and open practices...and budding young talent.....figuring that as long as you can hang onto the ignorant public for one more year...it is a victory, because you can come up with more BS next year to make them forget about the recent debacle.

Granted the Sabres did great last year....but in all honesty, the team is built on the cheap, the GM takes zero chances, and we a a few refs swallowing their whistles, away from a .500 season.

Sorry to complain! I'm glad to see people PO'd though.

I think you've just captured the general idea around this place. Everyone hates everything. The negativity in this town sucks. It sucks and it stinks and it sucks. Gilbert Perreault is not walking through that door (wearing the old jersey). Pat LaFontaine is not walking through that door (wearing the old jersey).

Don't confuse hate with being passionate about your team. Nobody wants the old jersey exactly the way it was. They want an updated version of it. Instead we get....the slug.

Schopp stated the new logo isn't good nor creative but he's reserving judgement until he sees the whole package.

I think having a show like this proves that they are anything but shills.

I don't remember Mike saying anything like this. Perhaps he did, but his venom toward fans who despise this logo is the focus of my anger. I can now see why everyone who bashes him calls him Arrogant. He comes off like that because he condescends to the average fan. Their wasn't one word of criticism about the logo or anything. They are signing the company tune and it bothers me a lot. I just wanted an opinion, not this wait and see BS.

Don't confuse hate with being passionate about your team. Nobody wants the old jersey exactly the way it was. They want an updated version of it. Instead we get....the slug.

But with people complaining about everything, those complaints lose meaning.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like the logo either, but I don't think it's the end of the world like so many people are playing it up to be.

Again, not trying to protect S&B, but you are completely wrong with your statement. They said that Washington primary logo is the Eagle. Bulldog then mentioned that their third jersey logo however represents the Capitals nickname.

I think we are channeling our hate to the wrong place. We HATE the logo! Get it straight.

The goalie on my men's team is a clubhouse assistant with the Capitals. He said they're going back to their original colors, doing away with the black. I doubt they'll go back to the original 1974 uniform, but they'll use those colors.

Well, in fairness to the Caps, unless they use upper case lettering (to be literal) or lower case lettering (to be "clever"), there aren't a whole lot of ways to represent capitAls. For whatever reason, they are the Capitals, not the Capitols.

They're representing the Capital of the United States, not the Capitol Building itself. That's why they are the Capitals and not the Capitols.

I don't like the logo either, but I don't think it's the end of the world like so many people are playing it up to be.

Agreed. It's the team that matters, not the logo, even if it is hideous.

Tune in to WGR at 3pm today. The logo protest is picking up steam and is ruffling a lot of feathers from what I've been told. We NEED to keep hammering away and we will win this fight.

Schopp & The Bulldog will do a show today on it, tune in.

I've said all along it's UGLY, but I care more about what is on the ice then what is on their backs. I really don't think it's going to be an easy battle. If this is the design it's been in production and there is no turning back that easily.

It's because the median age in the city is 67.

The logo itself doesn't worry me....the fact that they (Quinn,et al) believe this will sell is what worries me. It's the same attitude that Tom Donahoe had. Fluff everyone around with uniforms and open practices...and budding young talent.....figuring that as long as you can hang onto the ignorant public for one more year...it is a victory, because you can come up with more BS next year to make them forget about the recent debacle.

Granted the Sabres did great last year....but in all honesty, the team is built on the cheap, the GM takes zero chances, and we a a few refs swallowing their whistles, away from a .500 season.

Sorry to complain! I'm glad to see people PO'd though.

Who cares if they don't throw money at free agents like other teams do? They put together a good team last year. Also, if they're so cheap, then how do you explain the Spacek signing?

As for Darcy, he must be doing something right seeing how THN said he was in the running for executive of the year. I'm not exactly sure what chances you would like him to take.

You're taking it a little bit to the extreme with your comment about the refs too. Steven Walkom did a great job last year cutting down on obstruction. I know some are still waiting for the refs to put their whistles away, but it's not going to happen. The new standard is going to stick as long as Walkom is in charge.

The goalie on my men's team is a clubhouse assistant with the Capitals. He said they're going back to their original colors, doing away with the black. I doubt they'll go back to the original 1974 uniform, but they'll use those colors.

They're representing the Capital of the United States, not the Capitol Building itself. That's why they are the Capitals and not the Capitols.

Agreed. It's the team that matters, not the logo, even if it is hideous.

While I do realize that, I think that putting a map of the USofA on their shirts with a star over the Potomac would quite possibly be even cheesier than Dallas' shoulder patch.

Short of that, using a balance sheet / bag of money, or the top of a column, I can't really think of a "better" way to convey the idea of "capitals" than by writing the word in GREAT BIG CAPITAL LETTERS.

My thoughts exactly. Half the people in Buffalo over the age of 67?

I have no idea what the median really is, my point is we are an older, stuck in our ways type of city, hence the biatching.

It's ok to be stuck in your ways...if those are good and simple ways. I think that's what Buffalo is...we are simple, but we are good people. That's why this new logo is such a miss. We wanted some sense of tradition, when times weren't as complicated. When the guys that wore the Blue and Gold were our heroes. Kids today look up to the players no matter what jersey we wear, but it would be nice to be reminded when we were kids and didn't have to worry about real life. If we had a logo that reflected those times, we could have multiple generations bleeding the blue and gold. The bananna slug is just another ESPN, Madison Avenue, Yo Yo Yo Faschizle attempt at making money. The way this team played last year..you don't need to dupe us into buying a jersey. If we believed in the concept, we would all buy one. That's why this is sad.

I have no idea what the median really is, my point is we are an older, stuck in our ways type of city, hence the biatching.

It's ok to be stuck in your ways...if those are good and simple ways. I think that's what Buffalo is...we are simple, but we are good people. That's why this new logo is such a miss. We wanted some sense of tradition, when times weren't as complicated. When the guys that wore the Blue and Gold were our heroes. Kids today look up to the players no matter what jersey we wear, but it would be nice to be reminded when we were kids and didn't have to worry about real life. If we had a logo that reflected those times, we could have multiple generations bleeding the blue and gold. The bananna slug is just another ESPN, Madison Avenue, Yo Yo Yo Faschizle attempt at making money. The way this team played last year..you don't need to dupe us into buying a jersey. If we believed in the concept, we would all buy one. That's why this is sad.

Good point. I was definitely ready to get a Spacek with the new B&G logo. Now, I'll either get a "throwback" if that is the 3rd or hold off altogether. Oh well, guess I don't get to retire my "Hasek" just yet.

Bingo! We don't want the same exact one, we want a progressive version of the original. Give it a modern look, put back in the swords, etc.

The "flying slug" is anything but "The Buffalo Sabres"!! :ph34r:

Suck on that Shoop&Bulldog ya jackasses

Good point. I was definitely ready to get a Spacek with the new B&G logo. Now, I'll either get a "throwback" if that is the 3rd or hold off altogether. Oh well, guess I don't get to retire my "Hasek" just yet.

You could do what I did yesterday and buy a white Perreault jersey on ebay. I can live with that and my blue LaFontaine jersey.

FYI, the median age of the city of Buffalo is 33.6 (national median is 35.2)

For those unfamiliar with median (as opposed to average), it means that 1/2 of the people are older than 33.6, and 1/2 are younger.

Incidentally, Buffalo has a higher percentage of under 5 (than the national) and a higher percentage of over 65 (than the national). What this says about our population is that we are shrinking fastest in the career, economy building ages of 30-50.

Sorry, those numbers are from 2000.

The 2004 (most recent) show a median of 34.8 (national is 36.2)

We have also lost almost 10% of the population in that time (292,000-267,000).

I pretty much agree with everything said about Schopp in this thread. He does come off as arrogant, and really, it seems like he just likes to hear himself talk. Only his opinion matters to his, unless of course your opinion is the same as his.

I mean, he pretty much said we're complaining just to complain. It sounds to me like they don't want to step on the toes over at the Sabres organization so they aren't cut out of the loop, and that's a shame.

I didn't hear all of the segment, so I can't comment on most of what was said. I was only in my car for a short time.

The problem that I had with Schopp's comment was that he said that we fans should not be privy to the inner workings of the team, that we should not be involved in rosters, nor even in logo design.

That -- in the case of the logo in particular, not even a contest is needed -- they have a braintrust for that, and that they have professionals working for the betterment of the team, and we should just deal with it.

Now, I entirely agree that the fans shouldn't have a say in rosters & contracts. They obviously have bean counters and lawyers who know the ins and outs of the CBA, Cap, etc.

But to say that fans shouldn't have a say in other stuff is ridiculous. Plenty of teams have had nickname contests, logo contests, etc. over the years.

If he really thinks that we aren't bright enough to know what we like, then I guess we should all just end our lives right now.

I realize that is what a focus group is, supposed to be a litmus test, a cross-section of a community, and that this focus group of "young breadwinners with tons of expendable income" as it was told to me, picked that logo.

But that doesn't sound like a good focus group. That sounds like a focus group where the fix was in. It's obvious now, that the wider population of we old farts without a lot of expendable income hate the logo, our wives hate it, our children hate it.

Whatever. That whole angle of the conversation irked me.

The only thing said by Parker that gives me pause, and even a glimmer of hope, is that he kept saying that we hadn't seen everything yet, implying that, off the record, he had, that maybe it doesn't look so bad on a jersey as it does in the digital image being passed around the Net.

Knowing that WGR is the Home of the Sabres and that they are softening their raucous personalities and shilling for the Sabres these days, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres gave these Assclowns a private viewing of a jersey prototype, and now they are trying to talk everyone down off the ledge.

So maybe, if we're lucky, the logo looks better on the jersey than we can envision.

But Parker just repeatedly stated that we hadn't seen everything and that we should just trust him. And that just stuck out in my head.

Icepux stated that "So maybe, if we're lucky, the logo looks better on the jersey than we can envision."

as I pointed out before... it doesn't matter if the jersey doesn't look super horrible, the jersey is NOT what identifies the team, THE LOGO does that!!!!!!!! The logo is going to be on hats, jackets, center ice, scoreboard, etc... it doesn't matter if the jersey look "just ok" or better than the logo alone, because that is NOT what most people will buy and or look at... the logo is the KEY

Archived