Who can fill the role that Grier played

LabattBlue

The Sabres definetely lost some grit when Grier left and I think Chris Thorburn has the size and toughness needed to fill that role. He stepped up offensively and had a nice season with the Amerks in 05-06 and this would appear to be a make or break year for him in the Sabres organization.

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/chris_thorburn

Other candidates....Paille or Stafford??

The Sabres definetely lost some grit when Grier left and I think Chris Thorburn has the size and toughness needed to fill that role. He stepped up offensively and had a nice season with the Amerks in 05-06 and this would appear to be a make or break year for him in the Sabres organization.

Lindy has always liked Varada, and he is a UFA. Don't be surprised if he moves back.

Oh, I think its Pyatt's job to lose, but Novaty would be my second choice. He had a bad playoffs, but hey, many rookies do

Lindy has always liked Varada, and he is a UFA. Don't be surprised if he moves back.

I would be extrememly surprised to see any UFA forwards signed. Even after the loss of Grier, the Sabres have a stable full of NHL ready forwards. Let's break this thing down.

Briere-Dumont-Vanek

Connolly-Kotalik-Afinogenov

Drury-Roy-Hecht

Gaustad-Mair-Pominville

Novotny-Thorburn-Pyatt

Zagrapan-Paille-MacArthur

Stafford

Nearly all these guys will be ready for the NHL, and I didn't even include Peters. I can't see Darcy retarding the developement of his prospects to bring back a no hands retread. Not to mention the $1.5 million + he would command.

I don't think the Sabres feel that they need to replace one player with another similar type player. If the team lost toughness with McKee and Grier gone then they expect the entire team to fill any toughness void. That said, if a player is out there who can bring toughness but also has other aspects to his game (ie. Peca) then I think the Sabres would bring him in along as he isn't overpriced.

I don't think the Sabres feel that they need to replace one player with another similar type player. If the team lost toughness with McKee and Grier gone then they expect the entire team to fill any toughness void. That said, if a player is out there who can bring toughness but also has other aspects to his game (ie. Peca) then I think the Sabres would bring him in along as he isn't overpriced.

If they do that; Kotalik, Dumont or Afinogeov will have to be shipped out. Just a loggjam at forward.

Peca, Peca, Peca. Is everyone crazy? He didn't just burn his bridges with the Sabres, he napalmed them. He's also way overpaid and pretty ineffective (a couple of good playoff series last year notwithstanding) at this point. Let me state this clearly for the record: there is NO WAY Peca is coming back here.

As for filling Grier's role on Drury's line: I think Mair and Pyatt will get first shot at it. I don't think we'll bring in a forward either as a FA or a trade, although if the Draper-for-Marty pipe dream comes true that would be great.

You can't expect guys who don't play physical to fill the void that has been left by a player no longer with the team(Grier).

While they may be the most mobile unit in the league, this team could really struggle along the boards in their own end. Only time will tell. ;)

Too many here are going off on Grier like he's the 2nd coming of Mark Messier. The guy is very very replaceable.

Him moving to another team doesn't concern me at all. Our team still have leaders and this allows younger guys to step fwd.

Grier is gone and it's not that big a deal. He was a nice guy who worked hard. We have others who will do the same.

The only bad part about losing Grier is that Drury is apparently in love with him. Don't worry Chris, what's that saying about if you love something, let it go and it will come back...?

You can do kissy-poo with Mikey all you want in a few short years when you guys retire.

The only bad part about losing Grier is that Drury is apparently in love with him. Don't worry Chris, what's that saying about if you love something, let it go and it will come back...?

You can do kissy-poo with Mikey all you want in a few short years when you guys retire.

Not sure what prompted this, Drury was pretty professional about it when asked after the deal. Briere whined more about the possibility of McKee leaving before it even happened. Drury will be fine ... I worry about Briere if Dumont is ever traded though.

You might have to cross Peca off your list of players that we may sign. Rumor has it, he might be joining the Leafs.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

Not sure what prompted this, Drury was pretty professional about it when asked after the deal. Briere whined more about the possibility of McKee leaving before it even happened. Drury will be fine ... I worry about Briere if Dumont is ever traded though.

Also, funny you should mention Dumont because I ran into someone who works for the Sabres when I was out last week and he mentioned that Dumont may be on the trade block, mainly because he could become an UFA next season.

Also, funny you should mention Dumont because I ran into someone who works for the Sabres when I was out last week and he mentioned that Dumont may be on the trade block, mainly because he could become an UFA next season.

I think he is definitely a candidate to be traded, they have similar players coming up who can fill his role and he has proven himself enough to bring something in return ... but keeping Briere happy has to be a consideration. Dumont IS productive, so it's not like when the Pens brought Marc Bergevin in at age 38 to play with boyhood pal Lemieux ...

I guess we will see what happens ... I'm not saying he is untouchable, just that Briere would be happier if he was around.

I think he is definitely a candidate to be traded, they have similar players coming up who can fill his role and he has proven himself enough to bring something in return ... but keeping Briere happy has to be a consideration. Dumont IS productive, so it's not like when the Pens brought Marc Bergevin in at age 38 to play with boyhood pal Lemieux ...

I guess we will see what happens ... I'm not saying he is untouchable, just that Briere would be happier if he was around.

Dumont was streaky last season and his effort isn't always there. Especially when Hecht was out of the line-up. I like the Briere, Dumont, and Hecht line a lot when those guys play gritty and dirty, but I thought Dumont didn't show up some nights. I would say Dumont is definately on the block along with Kotalik and Pyatt.

Archived