Rumor: Marty to Detroit, Sabres seeking 2nd liner

Don

"Jarkko Ruutu to Pens (e4) Biron to Wings (e3) Anson Carter would take discount to be Leaf (e3)

Today @ 3:17 PM ET | Comments (52)

Keep your eye on this one for sure...I am alos hearing that that the Wings are closing in on a deal that would bring Martin Biron to them...Good move, the Sabres are looking for a second line player...

more to come later..."

Canadian Olympian, Stanley Cup champion, speed to burn, coaches player, team guy, respected veteran presence, knows what it takes to win.

I take Draper for Biron in a heartbeat, unless his salary is way out of whack.

Ugh, it better not be Draper......he makes $2.128 a season, is 35 years old, and only had 10 goals and 32 points last year. That is hardly worthy compensation for Biron, even if he is a bit inconsistent at times. He better not be going to Detroit.

^^^What he said ^^^^

I think that would help solve the problem of the "veteran leadership" lost when McKee and Griere (who combined have not had the same level of success Draper has had.)

I'm with the crowd. It would dramatically help both sides, but I can't see why we'd still want Peca if we get Draper.

Also, what direction do we go with the backup keeper after any Biron deal? And does it happen before the trade? I think we'll see Buffalo sign a goalie one day soon, and within a week Biron will be a Red Wing.

Goat, Darcy has said the backup goaltender would have to be in place before he does anything with Biron. That illustrates how cautious the guy is. But when we have our backup in place and it's obvious Biron has to be unloaded, doesn't that lower his value?

This thread nicely illustrates what we've been debating for a long time -- the commitment of ownership to win. Let's say just for the purposes of a debate that Lindy and Darcy think, like some here, that Draper is the missing link. Can Darcy go to Golisano and get the go-ahead to add salary beyond what has been budgeted? Maybe the plan was to save money by dumping Biron's salary -- not to take on much salary in return. Can that plan be scrapped if we have a chance to get a really good player in return?

I have a better alternative than trading Biron for Draper...

Sign Halpern who is the same type of player, but is 5 years younger and would hopefully sign for the same kind of money Draper gets(2 to 2.25 mil). Then you still have Biron(and a forward) to use as tradebait to bring in a quality dman.

Goat, Darcy has said the backup goaltender would have to be in place before he does anything with Biron. That illustrates how cautious the guy is. But when we have our backup in place and it's obvious Biron has to be unloaded, doesn't that lower his value?

This thread nicely illustrates what we've been debating for a long time -- the commitment of ownership to win. Let's say just for the purposes of a debate that Lindy and Darcy think, like some here, that Draper is the missing link. Can Darcy go to Golisano and get the go-ahead to add salary beyond what has been budgeted? Maybe the plan was to save money by dumping Biron's salary -- not to take on much salary in return. Can that plan be scrapped if we have a chance to get a really good player in return?

Very good point

Its why I can't see Biron getting traded for something more then a couple of prospects with upside playing on a rookie contract

but likewaise, when you unload him and need to sign someone else, then you are desparate to replace him... catch 22.

but likewaise, when you unload him and need to sign someone else, then you are desparate to replace him... catch 22.

Thats true too, but to argue your point about signing a FA goalie, your making a deal with a player who is currently unemployed and may stay unemployed if he doesn't sign, therefore there isn't that much leverage for the player over the team.

And also, we all know Darcy won't make a deal until the dust settles and the NHL Bargain bins are opened, so by that time players will sign for what they can get just to have a job next season

I have a better alternative than trading Biron for Draper...

Sign Halpern who is the same type of player, but is 5 years younger and would hopefully sign for the same kind of money Draper gets(2 to 2.25 mil).

It looks like Halpern is signing with Dallas for $2 mil a year for 4 years. That was a good thought though.

Where's Mika when you need him??? Bad trade. Bad bad trade.

So, would I be the only that likes the trade after seeing us take Enroth with the pick?

It looks like Halpern is signing with Dallas for $2 mil a year for 4 years. That was a good thought though.

So, would I be the only that likes the trade after seeing us take Enroth with the pick?

Damn. :angry: If Darcy was going to sign Grier for 1.7, Halpern would have been worth an extra 300k.

Well, no matter what, Buffalo needed to draft a goalie to be in there system and to develop so drafting one was going to happen anyway. But wouldn't it be nice to get Mika back after getting a 2nd round pick for lending him to Vancouver for their playoff run?

Archived