Bye Mike

frisky

From reading that Times-Union article, it sounds like he won't be coming back as the team doesn't sound like they have him in their plans. Likely with his salary, they are going to go with someone younger and cheaper. When it said, "the Buffalo Sabres said they aren't likely to re-sign him," it should just read Mike won't be back with the Sabres and will be signing with another team.

I think his leadership, penalty killing, and physical prescence will be missed. But, I suppose they believe he can be replaced with the younger guys coming along to fill in those holes. There's 1.36 mil to spread around.

I wasn't sure who you meant at first but now I see you are referring to Mike Grier. His full name would have been easier for us to know exactly who you meant without having to think about who Mike was.

See ya later Grier. No skin off if he goes. Plenty of younger guys who can fill his role.

From reading that Times-Union article, it sounds like he won't be coming back as the team doesn't sound like they have him in their plans. Likely with his salary, they are going to go with someone younger and cheaper. When it said, "the Buffalo Sabres said they aren't likely to re-sign him," it should just read Mike won't be back with the Sabres and will be signing with another team.

I think his leadership, penalty killing, and physical prescence will be missed. But, I suppose they believe he can be replaced with the younger guys coming along to fill in those holes. There's 1.36 mil to spread around.

I read it as them saying they weren't going to make him an offer until after July 1. That doesn't mean they aren't going to re-sign him. They probably want to see how negotiations go with some of the other players first.

I read it as them saying they weren't going to make him an offer until after July 1. That doesn't mean they aren't going to re-sign him. They probably want to see how negotiations go with some of the other players first.

Times-Union Grier Article

It looks like it disappeared from the news links page. But here it is.

"Veteran forward Mike Grier is prepared to test free agency after the Buffalo Sabres said they aren't likely to re-sign him.

Grier's agent, Jay Fee, said his client is open to returning to Buffalo and the two sides haven't ruled out making a deal later this summer. The NHL's free-agency period begins Saturday."

You could be right. Maybe it meant before July. But to me the wording sounded like they weren't going to try at all.

Dont worry fellow Sabres fans, in about 2-3 weeks we will see exactly just what Darcy Regier and Tom Golisano are made of...last year was a mirage...bank on that.

Hate to break it to you, 110 points and game 7 of ECF is not a fluke. If anything that has earned them the benefit of the doubt.

I seem to remember similar complaints last summer...this year turned out alright. I also remember hearing similar complaints at the trade deadline, about how the Sabres couldn't compete, gave up, etc, and the team went to game 7 of ECF.

Dont worry fellow Sabres fans, in about 2-3 weeks we will see exactly just what Darcy Regier and Tom Golisano are made of...last year was a mirage...bank on that.

I questioned, argued, got angry, and...saw what they are made of last season. Glad to have been wrong.

Hate to break it to you, 110 points and game 7 of ECF is not a fluke. If anything that has earned them the benefit of the doubt.

I seem to remember similar complaints last summer...this year turned out alright. I also remember hearing similar complaints at the trade deadline, about how the Sabres couldn't compete, gave up, etc, and the team went to game 7 of ECF.

Nobody's claiming it was a fluke, but I think people are genuinely concerned that players will walk without getting replaced.

I don't think last season was a mirage, but the reality is that almost every season there is a young, surprising team that shocks everyone and makes a little run in the playoffs. And almost every season after that, the team is never heard from again. How do you prevent the Sabres from being that team?

Jeez -- who fouled everyone's wheaties?

Show a little faith, there's magic in the night.

You ain't a beauty but hey you're alright.

And that's alright with me.

This team doesn't quit. I'd like to think the same of its fans.

I'm not quitting on the team, but can read the writing on the wall. This team is not able to compete financially in the league and is going to soon become a NHL farm team because once a player becomes eligable for a raise, he's told to take a hike.

Will Drury be happy his linemate and good friend Grier is being shown the door? The Sabres have pretty much told Mike, go out and see what your worth and then we'll look into giving you an offer if it won't cost us much.

Sorry if I am not wanting to sit here with a huge smile on my face praising Darcy for a 110 point season and an ECF, while he lets some core players go because they won't play for a song and Dance. They are going to have to show me alot of work this offseason before I start believing that they can repeat the 110 point year and that doesn't involve replacing a bunch of veterans for some cheap rookies from Rochester.

How much chemistry is this team going to be able to have at the start of next season when 1/4 to 1/2 the team is gone

Ya, and if we got another defenceman at the deadline then it would of put us in the stanley cup. I also hate to break it to you but I think it was somewhat of a fluke. I love the sabres, but I think that many of them were playing over their heads, which is to the credit of lindy. We've got strong coaching so I think it covers some of our glaring holes.

I don't think losing Grier is that big of a deal. What's wrong with using Gaustad on that line and moving Novotny into the lineup to fill Gaustad's role?

Grier gave the team some veteran leadership and toughness, something that doesn't show up on score sheets but is still important

While Gaustad can atleast replace the toughness part, he is only going to be playing in his second full season so he won't be providing veteran leadership

How much chemistry is this team going to be able to have at the start of next season when 1/4 to 1/2 the team is gone

1/2 the team is going to be turned over?

Out of Greier, Teppo, McKee and Biron, I can see 3 out of 4 being gone. I could also see a trade involving a forward or two. That would be a max turnover of 5 players out of 23 or so that were on the roster last year. That would be a 22% turnover, which in the era of UFA at a younger age seems fairly reasonable to me.

I ripped on Grier all year long but I appreciate his leadership and his spot as a "role player". I am so sick of this team letting character guys leave this city without trying to negotiate somethihng. The only way I am OK with letting him go is if we use the money to re-sign McKee, but it looks to me like this is typical Sabres cheapness and unwillingness to shell out $. I could rant further but this isnt the place to do it, maybe I'll start a new "Bash Darcy" thread.

I don't think last season was a mirage, but the reality is that almost every season there is a young, surprising team that shocks everyone and makes a little run in the playoffs. And almost every season after that, the team is never heard from again. How do you prevent the Sabres from being that team?

How bout that young buffalo team from 97-99, they did pretty good for themselves those threee years straight. And that was despite having some off ice issues happening behind the scenes, with the firing of both Muckler and Nolan.

So I would say that it is not in fact impossible for a young team in a small market make a good run a couple years in a row.

Ya, and if we got another defenceman at the deadline then it would of put us in the stanley cup. I also hate to break it to you but I think it was somewhat of a fluke. I love the sabres, but I think that many of them were playing over their heads, which is to the credit of lindy. We've got strong coaching so I think it covers some of our glaring holes.

Hmm, where to start with this:

1. Which defenseman that actually moved would you have like to have seen on the team, there are some out there, but

2. Who would you have been willing to give up for him?

3. If we hadn't had a string of unforseeable injuries (Teppo's was forseeable, but I don't think the rest were) the Sabres would have won the cup.

4. Looking back at it, could any other team in the league go down to number 10 on their devensive depth chart and come within 20 minutes of going to the finals?

Why do you think the team was a fluke? How many games this year did you watch? Maybe I am biased at times, but after watching almost every game this year, I can objectively say they were anything but a fluke. They were successful because they played together as a team. If one player went down someone stepped up. If the team snuck into the playoffs and went to the ECF, then maybe you could say they were a fluke, but they had a 110 point season, in arguably the toughest division in the Conference. Before taking out Philly and Ottawa in the playoffs, only to lose in the last period of game 7 to the eventual Stanley Cup champs. Sorry, not a fluke.

I ripped on Grier all year long but I appreciate his leadership and his spot as a "role player". I am so sick of this team letting character guys leave this city without trying to negotiate somethihng. The only way I am OK with letting him go is if we use the money to re-sign McKee, but it looks to me like this is typical Sabres cheapness and unwillingness to shell out $. I could rant further but this isnt the place to do it, maybe I'll start a new "Bash Darcy" thread.

Seeing that neither has been signed to another team yet, so we don't know what the going rate is, how can you say it is due to Sabres cheapness?

And I don't think you need an official bash Darcy threads, there are like 4 of them going right now.

Archived