Carolina down two defensemen

PromoTheRobot

My heart really goes out to Canes fans. If their team coughs up a 3-1 series lead and loses to the Oilers, the loss of Aaron Ward and Doug Weight in Game 5 will go down as the turning point. I mean, how can you expect any team to overcome two injuries to key players? It's just not fair!

Sarcasm off....cry me a river, Carolina! :lol:

P.S....Good seats still available for game 7! Get yours now!

PTR

My heart really goes out to Canes fans. If their team coughs up a 3-1 series lead and loses to the Oilers, the loss of Aaron Ward and Doug Weight in Game 5 will go down as the turning point. I mean, how can you expect any team to overcome two injuries to key players? It's just not fair!

Sarcasm off....cry me a river, Carolina! :lol:

P.S....Good seats still available for game 7! Get yours now!

PTR

actually didnt see any mention in this AM paper or on news about these injuries. I thought I saw Ward playing late in game. Also notice the swipe Cam Ward took at one of the Edmonton players at end of the game, what a punk

actually didnt see any mention in this AM paper or on news about these injuries. I thought I saw Ward playing late in game. Also notice the swipe Cam Ward took at one of the Edmonton players at end of the game, what a punk

I did notice the swipe by Ward, hopefully the Oil have this kid rattled. Ward played in the third. I heard them mention that Weight was back on the bench as well but I'm not sure if he got back in or not. Even still this doesn't come close to what the Sabres had to endure. When Carolina is forced to play their 8th and 9th D-men for 15 to 20 minutes we'll see how they do.

I did notice the swipe by Ward, hopefully the Oil have this kid rattled. Ward played in the third. I heard them mention that Weight was back on the bench as well but I'm not sure if he got back in or not. Even still this doesn't come close to what the Sabres had to endure. When Carolina is forced to play their 8th and 9th D-men for 15 to 20 minutes we'll see how they do.

Dead Weight did not play after he got injured.

Ward did.

So it looks to me like Carolina MAY have suffered their 1st injury of the playoffs. A guy missing a couple of shifts (or a period and a half) does not qualify as an "injury" in my book. Although according to the guys working NBC it sounds like a funeral is in order (last rites at a minimum).

Dead Weight did not play after he got injured.

Ward did.

So it looks to me like Carolina MAY have suffered their 1st injury of the playoffs. A guy missing a couple of shifts (or a period and a half) does not qualify as an "injury" in my book. Although according to the guys working NBC it sounds like a funeral is in order (last rites at a minimum).

Weight came back as well from folks I talked to who were at the game. So seems like they are still escaping the injury bug. Personnaly I would like to see only 3 rounds of the playoffs and maybe one month shorter regular season, hockey in June is way to long.

Weight came back as well from folks I talked to who were at the game. So seems like they are still escaping the injury bug. Personnaly I would like to see only 3 rounds of the playoffs and maybe one month shorter regular season, hockey in June is way to long.

Dead sat on the bench in OT but didn't get any ice time. Teppo did as well when he reaggravated the hip.

It will be interesting to see whether he is able to go on Saturday.

Doug Weight's not a defenseman. And I also thought they said he returned to the game in the third. Same for Aaron Ward. Same for Glen Wesley, who has been playing hurt. Give the Cans credit. They are a gutsy bunch. Suck it up and play through pain. I guess I can't say I expected any of the injured Sabres to return. Out of frustration, I want to say it, though. The Canes get some injuries, and their players play through it. We get injuries, and our guys get the last rites and are never seen again. Instead of making me feel better, the injuries being suffered by Carolina just make me feel worse.

Doug Weight's not a defenseman. And I also thought they said he returned to the game in the third. Same for Aaron Ward. Same for Glen Wesley, who has been playing hurt. Give the Cans credit. They are a gutsy bunch. Suck it up and play through pain. I guess I can't say I expected any of the injured Sabres to return. Out of frustration, I want to say it, though. The Canes get some injuries, and their players play through it. We get injuries, and our guys get the last rites and are never seen again. Instead of making me feel better, the injuries being suffered by Carolina just make me feel worse.

Injuries, or just putting on a show?

I cannot count the number of times in the series against us, where a Cane would limp off the ice like he'd been shot several times, head for the dressing room, yet be back on the ice 2 mins later. Seems to me like somebody was working the refs.

Breaking an arm is a little different, I would say.

Just about every player on every team sucks it up and plays with pain in the playoffs. You don't think Peca is one huge bruise out there? McKee was felled by an injury he played with for almost 2 weeks. The Canes are nothing special when it comes to this. If nothing is broken and you can skate, you play.

If you want to compliment the Canes for making the most of their good fortune, I'm right with you. But gutsy? Nah. Umberger coming back from a concussion to score a gwg is gutsy. Closing out a series, shorthanded, in overtime is gutsy. Winning a series 4-1 while half your team is fighting the flu is gutsy. Winning games in the finals after your Conn Smythe candidate goalie is knocked of the series is gutsy.

To my recollection, Carolina doesn't have a single man-game lost to injury in the playoffs. That's not gutsy, that's just lucky.

You honestly are so bitter about the Canes beating the Sabres that you can't acknowledge Aaron Ward getting knocked out of the game in the first period, returning for the third, falling in front of a slapshot and getting hurt again as gutsy? OK. Whatever.

That's why we love hockey and the guys who play it. If you want to let your petty feelings get in the way of seeing that, then so be it. I guess Carolina just lucked itself into a 110 point season and a Stanley Cup! Can you imagine if people said that about the Sabres if they did the same thing? You'd tear them limb by limb. Or limb from limb. However that goes.

You honestly are so bitter about the Canes beating the Sabres that you can't acknowledge Aaron Ward getting knocked out of the game in the first period, returning for the third, falling in front of a slapshot and getting hurt again as gutsy? OK. Whatever.

That's why we love hockey and the guys who play it. If you want to let your petty feelings get in the way of seeing that, then so be it. I guess Carolina just lucked itself into a 110 point season and a Stanley Cup! Can you imagine if people said that about the Sabres if they did the same thing? You'd tear them limb by limb. Or limb from limb. However that goes.

In 2003-2004 I would've agreed with you about the 110 points, but not since the league made schedule changes which ensured that The Canes played 32 games in the weakest division in the league.

Other than that, the only reason I'm bitter is that I think The Canes are a team of whiners and divers.

Once they stop dropping left and right when an opposing player breathes on them, and their captain and coach stops whining about every call that isn't thrown in their laps, I'll lay off.

Derek Roy is one of the biggest divers in the league. Lindy Ruff is one of the biggest ref-baiters. Are we any different?

I guess I suffer from the curse of being able to take off my Sabres hat and see reality. I just can't find it within myself to hate Carolina. I usually reserve my postseason scorn for the Sabres for not getting the job done, but I can't heap scorn on this Sabres team either.

I am at peace. I love everyone. We are alive. Life is good.

As Dom once said, "Look at the sky. The light comes on. The day is nice. Pass me another, how do you say, long tall one."

I guess I suffer from the curse of being able to take off my Sabres hat and see reality. I just can't find it within myself to hate Carolina. I usually reserve my postseason scorn for the Sabres for not getting the job done, but I can't heap scorn on this Sabres team either.

I'd like a word with you Mr. PASabres fan...

Derek Roy is one of the biggest divers in the league. Lindy Ruff is one of the biggest ref-baiters. Are we any different?

I am at peace. I love everyone. We are alive. Life is good.

As Dom once said, "Look at the sky. The light comes on. The day is nice. Pass me another, how do you say, long tall one."

You call yourself a Sabres fan?

Why are you shining the knobs of the Whalercanes?

You call yourself a Sabres fan?

Why are you shining the knobs of the Whalercanes?

I'm assuming your post was primarily "tongue in cheek", but just in case it wasn't, you are questioning the "credentials" of one of the biggest, if not the biggest fan on this board.

PA is a guy that spent most of the season listening to the team ON THE RADIO and was still posting here daily. I haven't listened to games regularly on the radio since I was in high school.

He also is responsible for the daily history lessons and providing the audio links to highlights.

Just because he doesn't see everything the Sabres do as wonderful does not mean he isn't dedicated.

The Canes played 32 games in the weakest division in the league.

I'm gonna have to stick with The Central division being the weakest in the league... Ever thought that thats why' Detroit won the president's trophy///Nashville did so well/// they both bombed when having to play real teams more than twice in a row in the playoffs?

SDS -- no.

SC -- haha.

Wacka -- 'cuz I like rod.

Dave -- Thanks! I do like to play devil's advocate, so I expect to take some heat. It's good to know you got my back.

Now, Wacka, what were you saying? (PASabreFan crouches behind Dave.)

I'm gonna have to stick with The Central division being the weakest in the league... Ever thought that thats why' Detroit won the president's trophy///Nashville did so well/// they both bombed when having to play real teams more than twice in a row in the playoffs?

Marty that was one of my arguments since Feb/March and I still stand by it. Not trying to take anything away from anyone, just stating facts.

Well, you got a point, but the Southeast division isn't much better.

I know you see yourself as the resident watchdog for the Canes to prove some kind of self-claimed objectivity on the board. But to tell you the truth, it's getting tiresome, especially when you label me as bitter and petty, when that's not the fact.

Do you really believe that Ward is somehow remarkable for his willingness to play through injury? Of course not. Hockey players have played through such injuries for decades. That's my point.

So Carolina has gutsy players, sure, big deal. The Flyers have gutsy players, the Senators have gutsy players, the Oilers have gutsy players, and the Sabres have gutsy players. Of course it's part of the game, so I'm not going to hold Ward or the Canes in higher regard for their gutsiness.

My opinion of the Canes is that they've been fortunate enough to avoid the adversity that their opponents have faced. Ward took a couple of slapshots, at least he was able to come back. Unlike Koivu, Tallinder, and Roloson.

If you look at most sports, at the end of the year, the league champion usually has the blessing of good health. In the NHL this year, Carolina is that team. Pointing that out somehow crosses some line with you.

By the way, Carolina "lucked" their way into 112 points this year, not 110, and they haven't won the Cup yet.

And as a Sabre fan I imagine there might be something said about Buffalo that would make me want to tear somebody 'limb from limb," although that hasn't happened yet.

I can't imagine though, any Sabre fan wanting to tear other Sabre fans limb for limb for comments made about the Carolina Hurricanes, which seems to be your deal. To quote you, "whatever."

Archived