BREAKING NEWS

Corp000085

THANK GOD! Maybe the Indian curse he put on the Sabres will be revoked!

Teddy is a great man and I loved him as our coach. Luckily we found the only guy that's actually better than him.

The first good move the Islanders did since, well since they won the Cup in the 80s.

i think that ted's a good coach, but that 96-97 season fell in his lap. people tend to forget that the sabres were AWFUL in 95-96. he obviously made some mistakes in how he handled himself. whether or not he had some drinking issues, some issues keeping his pants zipped around muckler's daughter and/or hasek's wife, or some power struggle issues with muckler, that's besides the fact... the fact is though that he has been out of nhl coaching for 10 years, which is a pretty loud indication that he made some mistakes. We'll see what he can do with zhitnik (again), satan and yashin. its an older team than barnaby, dom et al. that he had here, but we shall see if they improve.

and finally this will put a stake into the heart of the "fire lindy bring back nolan" debate that's one 3 game losing streaik away from starting again in october.

And you seem to be forgetting that the Sabres cleaned house after the debacle in the shortened 95 season, dumping tons of salary and going with a youth movement. Their record in 95-96 was not quite awful, but close to awful, I guess. Still, I seem to recall that most people applauded the job the rookie coach did with a very young team that last season in the Aud. Oh yeah, Hasek missed quite a few games due to injury that season, IIRC. (Thanks, Dave, for getting me hooked on "IIRC" and "FWIW.")

And you seem to be forgetting that the Sabres cleaned house after the debacle in the shortened 95 season, dumping tons of salary and going with a youth movement. Their record in 95-96 was not quite awful, but close to awful, I guess. Still, I seem to recall that most people applauded the job the rookie coach did with a very young team that last season in the Aud. Oh yeah, Hasek missed quite a few games due to injury that season, IIRC. (Thanks, Dave, for getting me hooked on "IIRC" and "FWIW.")

personally, i have always given nolan an incomplete with his buffalo coaching grade. the youth that the team brought in for 96 was a geat team. I will always love "the hardest working team in hockey". It was the beginning of a new era, and the playoffs were exciting... from the hasek drama, to steve shields beating the crap out of garth snow, to plante blasting a hole in the ottawa goalie's glove, to the eventual loss to philly, it was good... well, except for the loss part... Anyways, ted nolan will always be an enigma. he was very quirky, very well dressed, was fun with the media, and he won the jack adams award, then he was fired. He'll always be an enigma. i just hope he can stay on with the isles, or at least in the NHL so i can see how he coaches in different situations. That 96 team reminds me of this year's team... they just played for fun and didn't know any better... The only difference?? one good coach and one hall of fame coach.

This will be interesting to watch for sure, Nolan has kept himself busy coaching in the OHL, although the NHL is a whole nother animal. Def. a surprise move by the Islanders, I think it will pan out however.

I can't see him and Satan getting along very well...

I'll say this: If Nolan gets announced as the Isles head coach at HSBC next season, I'll stand up for that. Can't say the same about Cellphone--I mean Satan. I hope the report is correct (I first saw it on the ESPN ticker) and if it is, I wish Ted Nolan some luck.

Lindy? The Hall of Fame? The one in Buffalo or the one in Toronto? :)

the one in Toronto, thank you very much. just give him a bit more time. he is the one who is going to lead us to the promised land. (I know you were kidding, but I have a policy about sticking up for Lindy.)

PAFan, if you've got the time and the inclination, what I'd really like (now that we've got time to free associate), is a recap of the Nolan years. I had already left Buffalo but didn't get my DirecTV until Lindy's first year -- so I missed, I'm sorry to say, the Lafontaine/Mogilny/Hawerchuk years as well as the Muckler/Nolan years. I'd love as much detail as you (and anyone else who's so inclined) would care to relate.

Go Sabres.

I guess I've thought of Nolan as a great leader, and an ok coach.

He is a great us versus them type of motivator. But that can be used against you.

Picture him coaching a 7 game series against Lindy. Lindy would be under his skin fast. Actually, it probably would be a lot like Hitchcock's reaction... His decisions may be a bit distracted.

the one in Toronto, thank you very much. just give him a bit more time. he is the one who is going to lead us to the promised land. (I know you were kidding, but I have a policy about sticking up for Lindy.)

A lot more time, and some Cups, before Ruff enters that rarified air. I don't want to split hairs with Corp's post, but he does imply that he thinks Lindy is a HOF coach now. Although it could also be interpreted to mean he thinks we have a future HOF coach. Corp?

You can read recaps of those two seasons here:

http://www.sabresfans.com/history/knox.asp?artid=81

http://www.sabresfans.com/history/knox.asp?artid=82

Please note that the reviews are written by News sports writer and Sabre historian Budd Bailey. This site says the articles are reprinted with permission, yet someone else's name appears at the top. That really bugs me, but the reviews are great and worth reading, no matter where they unfortunately reside. (Budd's own site that used to have the reviews is no longer up and running.)

Just a hunch, but I think Miro is finished there. I think Smith will retool the

Isles entire roster. I think he moves Yashin and Satan the first chance he gets.

I'd be very surprised if Miro is there on Opening Night. Something about being part of the rift between Nolan and Muckler that tells me Miro is not long for the Island.

I don't see how they get rid of Yashin though. The guy makes close to $8MM/yr and has no heart. No team (not even the Loafs, Phlyers, or Strangers) would take that on and they can't buy him out because he still has multiple years left on the deal. They also aren't allowed to pay a portion of his salary (ala the Jagr trade between Washington and the Strangers which was grandfathered) under the CBA.

I agree that they would love to get rid of him, but I just don't see a way for them to do it.

Of course, Nolan's claim to fame is he is a motivator. I could probably do a better job on the X's and O's than Teddy (slight exaggeration, but not by much), but there are very few who have a better reputation as a motivator. Getting Yashin to give a darn would cement that reputation and put him into Tony Robbins territory.

This year, the Isles will be a very interesting team to watch, if for nothing more than the drama unfolding in the dressing room.

I am also happy to hear Teddy has been resurrected into the NHL. I think it has been long overdue. I remember he was a tremendous motivator even though perhaps he wasn't as skilled as a strategist. I really liked him as our coach and was bummed when they canned him. I thought he got a raw deal.

Additionally, I heard on the radio from one of the Islanders reporters that Patty LaFontaine will be working with them as well in some capacity (although he didn't go into details about what his role would be). Maybe not so coincidental that he would return when Teddy got the job.

So congrats to both and I hope that both are really successful out there one the Island.

I don't see how they get rid of Yashin though. The guy makes close to $8MM/yr and has no heart. No team (not even the Loafs, Phlyers, or Strangers) would take that on and they can't buy him out because he still has multiple years left on the deal. They also aren't allowed to pay a portion of his salary (ala the Jagr trade between Washington and the Strangers which was grandfathered) under the CBA.

It could be a deal where the Isles ship him out and pick up a percentage of the salary.

That is probably how you unload him.

Dave, is it possible in almost 10 years out of the league that Nolan has honed his technical skills? And with good assistants are those even skills the head coach must have? Do you think Lindy Ruff can draw up a good power play?

By the way, I hate to give in, but I have to finally ask. What does your magic number mean?

It could be a deal where the Isles ship him out and pick up a percentage of the salary.

That is probably how you unload him.

If it were allowed under the CBA, that would be the way to dump him. But it isn't, so it isn't.

Dave, is it possible in almost 10 years out of the league that Nolan has honed his technical skills? And with good assistants are those even skills the head coach must have? Do you think Lindy Ruff can draw up a good power play?

By the way, I hate to give in, but I have to finally ask. What does your magic number mean?

I'd be very surprised if his technical skills have improved as he didn't coach for ~7 years at any level.

Is it an issue? As you state, if your assistants are good enough, it isn't. Also, if you can get convince a self-centered player like Yashin to ram his head through a wall for you, then not being able to out X & O the next guy isn't an issue either. We will find out in the next 2 seasons (not fair to expect him to give a team a heart transplant in a single year) whether it is an issue.

As fo the magic #, it's real simple. The Sabres needed to win (or tie) 20 minutes of hockey (~0.33 of a game) to have to right to battle for 4 more W's. Thus, they were 4.33 away from having a really cool parade.

A lot more time, and some Cups, before Ruff enters that rarified air. I don't want to split hairs with Corp's post, but he does imply that he thinks Lindy is a HOF coach now. Although it could also be interpreted to mean he thinks we have a future HOF coach. Corp?

You can read recaps of those two seasons here:

http://www.sabresfans.com/history/knox.asp?artid=81

http://www.sabresfans.com/history/knox.asp?artid=82

Please note that the reviews are written by News sports writer and Sabre historian Budd Bailey. This site says the articles are reprinted with permission, yet someone else's name appears at the top. That really bugs me, but the reviews are great and worth reading, no matter where they unfortunately reside. (Budd's own site that used to have the reviews is no longer up and running.)

Wow. Thanks. Those articles really are outstanding. What a soap opera those 2 years were. Thank heavens for Golisano, Darcy and Lindy.

I don't claim to have inside informaiton on why Ted was let go by the Sabres(I've heard the rumours) or why he did not get a second chance before now, but whatever the situation was, I hope he has learned from it. Good Luck Ted!

Archived