Realistic UFA Signings

Done

Two guys I feel would be great signings and not ruin chemistry are Nick Havelid the D-man from Atlanta, and Jamie Langenbrunner from Jersey. Havelid is basically a slightly younger Teppo Neuminen and can be had for similar money, and Langenbrunner is the type of 2 way player who would fit in with Drury, and help sooth his loss of Greir. He might be more costly, but he's a perfect fit with the team.

I know Darcy liked Havelid from way back. If we let Greir, Mckee and Teppo walk, these two would be a fair tradeoff.

The only problem is that I think every good Sabre fan hates Langenbrunner.

I'll throw some names out, just for fun, that might fit in good here regardless of contract status. Bear in mind, I have no idea if anyone will be necessary, they may go with current Sabres and Rochester guys to replace what they lose.

How about Matt Cooke in Vancouver? Another guy I thought looked real good in limited action, Winchester (I think) in Edmonton. Reminded me of Gaustad on the forecheck.

What about Nick Schultz in Minnesota?

The only problem is that I think every good Sabre fan hates Langenbrunner.

I'll throw some names out, just for fun, that might fit in good here regardless of contract status. Bear in mind, I have no idea if anyone will be necessary, they may go with current Sabres and Rochester guys to replace what they lose.

How about Matt Cooke in Vancouver? Another guy I thought looked real good in limited action, Winchester (I think) in Edmonton. Reminded me of Gaustad on the forecheck.

What about Nick Schultz in Minnesota?

I hate Langenbrunner from his Dallas days, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see him on our team. If he would cost more than Grier, why bother then? I think we should be trying to find a guy like Grier who would cost less. We already have him. His name is Paul Gaustad. Unfortunately, he's a center. Man I love watching Gaustad hustle out there.

I hate Langenbrunner from his Dallas days, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see him on our team. If he would cost more than Grier, why bother then? I think we should be trying to find a guy like Grier who would cost less. We already have him. His name is Paul Gaustad. Unfortunately, he's a center. Man I love watching Gaustad hustle out there.

I totally agree that we should keep Grier over Langenbrunner, and that the ideal solution would be somebody like Grier, but cheaper. I also really like Gaustad, but I think a lot of Grier's value comes from experience. He knows what to do out there -- this is what separates him from Gaustad/Pyatt/Mair, each of whom are otherwise similar to Grier in that they are big, physical and can skate.

If Grier leaves, it would be a big loss. He's a great checker and penalty killer, he keeps everyone honest, on our team and the opponent, and he makes sure nobody takes liberties with Drury. I'm hoping his game isn't glitzy enough to attract an offer substantially higher than the $1.4 million we paid him, because I think Darcy would bring him back at around that number.

Man, under this "new" N.H.L I didn't think I'd have to hear the same old off season stories from the Buffalo Sabres. I thought the terms "cheaper replacements" were done and over with. I realize that we need to resign a bunch of players but we were over 10 million under the cap. I thought with the new playoff revenue and excitment in Buffalo that T.G would actually bring in some more tallent, seeing as we're still far under the cap.

Man, under this "new" N.H.L I didn't think I'd have to hear the same old off season stories from the Buffalo Sabres. I thought the terms "cheaper replacements" were done and over with. I realize that we need to resign a bunch of players but we were over 10 million under the cap. I thought with the new playoff revenue and excitment in Buffalo that T.G would actually bring in some more tallent, seeing as we're still far under the cap.

It's all about revenue, and the Sabres just don't have as much of it as other teams. I just want them to spend all of their revenue and not put it into Tom's pockets. From what I can tell, he doesn't really need an extra couple million a year. Not like I do, anyway!

The cap isn't what drives our payroll. Our revenues are what drives our payroll. If we only bring in $100, we aren't going to spend $120 on salaries. This is how we are able to have a hockey team as well as the lowest ticket prices in the league.

I don't want to hear any complaints about T.G. No one, including T.G., is going to own a team that is losing millions of dollars per year just because the fans want to spend more on players. That's just how it is.

I think the only big name UFA that regier should sign are jay mckee and mike grier. Keep this team together. Maybe you add a 4-6 defenseman or a 3rd of 4th line winger to replace teppo and/or connolly (if both have to retire due to age or injury). I relaly don't think that this team needs anyone on ice that would help them more than this year. I hate to play the "what if" game, but the 2005-2006 sabres would have won the cup minus the freak injuries. Remember back in august/semptember with all those "status quo must go" threads? Well, status quo will win a stanley cup next year.

I think the only big name UFA that regier should sign are jay mckee and mike grier. Keep this team together. Maybe you add a 4-6 defenseman or a 3rd of 4th line winger to replace teppo and/or connolly (if both have to retire due to age or injury). I relaly don't think that this team needs anyone on ice that would help them more than this year. I hate to play the "what if" game, but the 2005-2006 sabres would have won the cup minus the freak injuries. Remember back in august/semptember with all those "status quo must go" threads? Well, status quo will win a stanley cup next year.

There is always room for improvement. I'm not saying that 5 or 6 regulars have to be replaced, but if you can find the right players either in Rochester, trade or free agency, don't be afraid to make this team better.

Havelid would of been a nice replacement for McKee, but he re-signed with the Thrashers today.

I agree, first focus is keeping the team together, if you have to let Grier or McKee go then obviously look for a replacement outside, but no reason to make a big splash in Free Agency, not like that's the Sabres style anyway.

I'd like to see McKee and Grier re-signed. But would McKee sign for like half of what he could get elsewhere? And from what I read somewhere from the new links, it said that Grier was lukewarm on coming back. Not sure why he would be but that stuck in my head. Rory doesn't sound like he will be back. I think in the end, we are going to promote rather than sign outsiders. That's there MO mostly and from what Darcy said, it sounds like things are going to be more of the same ol' with contracts as it has been in the past. Now they are in the black they probably are going to try and keep it that way. But, they need to keep the team competitive enough to make the playoffs and keep above the water.

I disagree with what you are suggesting. I find it a little frustrating that management will probably come under some criticism if they don't sign big name players in the off season (See last off season, trade deadline). Could our team be improved? Absolutely, every team can. Is bringing in the biggest names the best way to do it? I don't think so. Going back to the trade deadline in 2004, I don't think we brought in anyone high profile by any means, but I think Lydman, Numminen and Grier have all made a huge difference on this team. I would like to see the team continue to find players that really fit into our system rather than going after the big names.

Realistically, I don't envision Darcy signing ANY unrestricted free agents, outside of our own. Rory will walk and he will be replaced by Janik/paetsch.

I totally agree. Really, I think we will have to say good bye some player or players we all love, like McKee or Grier. Think of all the pay raises we are looking at on this team. Yes Marty will be gone, but still, so many players had good seasons and are up for signing. Signing other free agents, at least big name ones, won't happen unless some team gets in real bad cap trouble and lets go a guy they can't afford who is a good fit at a reasonably price

I'd like to see McKee and Grier re-signed. But would McKee sign for like half of what he could get elsewhere? And from what I read somewhere from the new links, it said that Grier was lukewarm on coming back. Not sure why he would be but that stuck in my head. Rory doesn't sound like he will be back. I think in the end, we are going to promote rather than sign outsiders. That's there MO mostly and from what Darcy said, it sounds like things are going to be more of the same ol' with contracts as it has been in the past. Now they are in the black they probably are going to try and keep it that way. But, they need to keep the team competitive enough to make the playoffs and keep above the water.

On GR I heard him say that he wants to be back with the Sabres but will not sign a contract until after he has seen what it's like to be available on the open market. I can't honestly say I blame him for that, but I also expect the Sabres to place his value similar to what other teams will have it at. (Probably in the neighborhood of $1.4 - 1.5MM.)

He is what he is, a relatively fast, hard hitting, big grinder, that creates opportunities for his linemates, defines "playing with heart", and is one of the best penalty killers in the league (if not THE best). He also has hands of stone. Defense wins championships, but offense wins megabuck contracts. Until I see a "grinder" get big bucks, I won't expect to see it.

This is also what leads me to believe that McKee won't get an offer for $4MM+. While I think that he'd be worth every penny of it (especially if a guy like Yashin is worth more than $7MM), I just don't see a team breaking open the bank for a guy (even a defenseman) that doesn't add much to the offense. One other thing to keep in mind with McKee (and this is wishful thinking on my part), but this year was the only season Jay ever excelled when he didn't have Warrener next to him. In the past, Jay was not the same player when Rhett was out injured (or in Florida or Calgary) as he was with Rhett.

Now that he's altered his game to fit the "new" NHL, maybe it doesn't matter who he's paired up with, but he may not be the same stud for, say, the Kings (had to think long and hard to come up with a team that wouldn't make me want to throw up envisioning him on it) as he is for the Sabres.

On GR I heard him say that he wants to be back with the Sabres but will not sign a contract until after he has seen what it's like to be available on the open market. I can't honestly say I blame him for that, but I also expect the Sabres to place his value similar to what other teams will have it at. (Probably in the neighborhood of $1.4 - 1.5MM.)

He is what he is, a relatively fast, hard hitting, big grinder, that creates opportunities for his linemates, defines "playing with heart", and is one of the best penalty killers in the league (if not THE best). He also has hands of stone. Defense wins championships, but offense wins megabuck contracts. Until I see a "grinder" get big bucks, I won't expect to see it.

This is also what leads me to believe that McKee won't get an offer for $4MM+. While I think that he'd be worth every penny of it (especially if a guy like Yashin is worth more than $7MM), I just don't see a team breaking open the bank for a guy (even a defenseman) that doesn't add much to the offense. One other thing to keep in mind with McKee (and this is wishful thinking on my part), but this year was the only season Jay ever excelled when he didn't have Warrener next to him. In the past, Jay was not the same player when Rhett was out injured (or in Florida or Calgary) as he was with Rhett.

Now that he's altered his game to fit the "new" NHL, maybe it doesn't matter who he's paired up with, but he may not be the same stud for, say, the Kings (had to think long and hard to come up with a team that wouldn't make me want to throw up envisioning him on it) as he is for the Sabres.

I agree on Grier as far as the salary goes, but I think we are vulnerable to someone offering a longer contract, ie more guaranteed money. I don't see us offering him more than 2 years, $3 million (ie $1.5 per year) -- but it only takes one stupid GM to offer him 3 years, $5.5 million, and then he's gone.

As far as McKee in another uniform -- that is a horrible thought. I note that the GD Islanders have made a habit lately of overpaying for our free agents, and I have to believe that Nolan would like McKee.

We will be alright though.

Go Sabres.

Archived