Auston Mathews anyone?

Turbo44

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Players that are better get paid more. Hope that helps.

- - - 

His contract will be 15% of the cap next season. Pastrnak’s is 14%

wooooooOOOoooooOooo

my online GM simulator broke! It does not compute!

Now 'splain this guy as a leader in our locker room.

18 hours ago, nfreeman said:

FFS.  The Leafs aren't trading Mathews under any circumstances.

why do we even waste time on such threads?? ...its ridonkulous...actually is there a word for more ridiculous than ridonkulous? Cause this thread would be it.

The playoffs are littered with players and former Sabres that are/were never good enough for some of you people.

You only want fictitious prototypical players that only exist in your mind. They only say the right things when you want them to say the right things, they fight every game while having impeccable positioning and never hurt their team, they are big and mean and never go on vacation. They don’t have lives outside of a hockey rink and they have great names for your jerseys. They don’t wear ***** numbers. 

anyone else can ***** off that way. 👉

• Like (+1) 2

The guy will end up a top 5-10 goal scorer of all time. He has a goal scoring presence that I haven’t seen since Ovechkin in his prime. 

We’re in no position to say no to any deal involving Matthews. That said he would hate it here. 

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Explain what about it? Well I doubt he is available if a player like Matthews is available, you make room for his contract. 

I'd pay 3 million or so more than Skinner for Matthews... Sign. Me. Up 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

No .. the dude is selfish and only cares about his goal stats.

He is undeniably the best goal scorer in the NHL right now.

There has to be selfishness to his game to score 69 goals with only 38 assists. I’ve said it in other threads that they award 2 assists for every goal so there should rarely be a player with a ratio like his. 
Ovechkin, not known for his playmaking, has averaged 1.22 goals for every assist over his career. Matthews scores 1.31 goals for every assist.

He is definitely not the typical center, who sets up his linemates.

I believe it is no accident McDavid got 64 goals last year, after Matthews was given the Hart for 60 goals the previous year when McDavid outscored him by almost 20 points. McDavid could probably score 75 if he was more selfish.

• Like (+1) 2

1G 4A in 7 games vs MTL in 2021.

Vintage Matthews in this clip (fast forward to about 1:50).

Vintage series loss to MTL.

9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

There has to be selfishness to his game to score 69 goals with only 38 assists. I’ve said it in other threads that they award 2 assists for every goal so there should rarely be a player with a ratio like his. 
Ovechkin, not known for his playmaking, has averaged 1.22 goals for every assist over his career. Matthews scores 1.31 goals for every assist.

I believe it is no accident McDavid got 64 goals last year, after Matthews was given the Hart for 60 goals the previous year when McDavid outscored him by almost 20 points. McDavid could probably score 75 if he was more selfish.

Same went for Gretzky.

31 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Matthews outscored McDavid this year when considering 5 V 5 primary points. So, goals and primary assists 5 V 5. 

Matthews had 38 g and 17a 55 points 

McDavid had 19 g and 32a for 51 points.

I don’t think it’s a mark of Matthews being selfish, he’s a better player provably at even strength, especially cause his D is Selke level this year apparently

McDavid’s advantage is on the power play and secondary helpers 

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Matthews outscored McDavid this year when considering 5 V 5 primary points. So, goals and primary assists 5 V 5. 

Matthews had 38 g and 17a 55 points 

McDavid had 19 g and 32a for 51 points.

I don’t think it’s a mark of Matthews being selfish, he’s a better player provably at even strength, especially cause his D is Selke level this year apparently

McDavid’s advantage is on the power play and secondary helpers 

Is he your Hart candidate? My anti Leafs brain prevents me from seeing him as the best of the best.

I’m in the MacKinnon camp this year with Kucherov being second.

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Is he your Hart candidate? My anti Leafs brain prevents me from seeing him as the best of the best.

I’m in the MacKinnon camp this year with Kucherov being second.

The thing about Matthews is he was nominated for the Selke, too. So he’s better defensively than the other points guys, he scores way more goals than any of them, and he’s as good or better at even strength? I don’t see how he’s not top 3

he doesn’t have to win but 69 goals and Selke level D NOT being nominated seems truly absurd 

imo I think he missed a nom by not hitting 70. I think he might have missed because of that arbitrary factor. He’s literally the same guy at 69 but I think that could he a reason 

Why is Matthews nominated for the Selke?

Serious question, not trying to ***** on him.

He seems positionally sound and he’s obviously got the size and skill to match up well. But I’ve never really watched him and said *****, there’s Matthews breaking up another rush, blocking another shot, or taking away another puck.

But I see him 5 or 10 times a year and can’t say I’ve ever focused on him on that side of the puck.

Was there some serious analytics that he dropped this year?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The thing about Matthews is he was nominated for the Selke, too. So he’s better defensively than the other points guys, he scores way more goals than any of them, and he’s as good or better at even strength? I don’t see how he’s not top 3

he doesn’t have to win but 69 goals and Selke level D NOT being nominated seems truly absurd 

imo I think he missed a nom by not hitting 70. I think he might have missed because of that arbitrary factor. He’s literally the same guy at 69 but I think that could he a reason 

Again, my anti Leafs bias prevents me from seeing him as a defensive stalwart like Bergeron, Kopitar, Barkov O’Reilly and Toews.

He would have to be 25% better than the next guy for me to consider him the best, it’s just the way I am wired. I can’t even strike up a conversation with someone wearing a Matthews sweater.

• Haha (+1) 1