Do you like the hiring of Ruff?   

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the hiring of Ruff?

• Yes, its a good move
    • I'm ok with it, not super happy
    • Whatever
    • Not really but it could work I suppose
    • No, dumb move

I'm of two minds.  I'm disappointed that we did not approach this the way a franchise committed to winning would approach a coaching hire.  At the same time, I'm glad (relieved) that there is a guy with Ruff's background and experience who checks off many of the required boxes while also checking off the boxes that make him an option for a team like the Sabres, who don't operate the the way winning teams do.

Ruff was the only real viable option.  In my view, it is highly unlikely that any of the other oft-discussed and high profile candidates would have accepted a 2 year deal. I also don't think Pegula or Adams are comfortable bringing in a coach with an Alpha-male-type personality who they have no history or comfort with. In short, there was one qualified and available coach who the organization was comfortable with and one qualified and available coach who was comfortable with the organization. I think Adams moving as quickly as he did was to ensure Ruff was not alienated by a prolonged search that only could have ended with the Sabres offering Ruff the job. 

On the positive side.  Ruff is legit. This time last year he was coaching a team that had just won 53 regular season games to a first round playoff victory over the Rangers. I think we are fortunate that Ruff was available.

• Like (+1) 6

5 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Is he good now? Have not kept up on him 

The Canucks fanbase are not huge fans of him. Too many dumb penalties for starters. They've warmed to him a bit more this year with the team's success. Honestly, he has been okay at best the last few years, nothing special.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Pimlach said:

What toll has time taken?   He is smarter and more patient as a coach..   He recently led a very young NJ team way past Buffalo and to their best point season ever.  

I am still far more worried about the roster than the HC. Watch the playoffs and you see we need at least 6 players.  

Ruff has 2 years.  Adam’s better get him a few more players.  

I agree with you and I hope that it works.  His coaching style back when turned boys into men, but by 2005 he had a far better roster than the Sabres have now.  NJ was a young team, but a better team than the Sabres are now and Ruff was fired when NJ slid backwards.

Adam really has this offseason to build the team.  Seems that Ruff will be involved in that, which is key.

Both talked about the 'next level' - we all know that means playoffs.  I want it to mean cups and I have my doubts that Ruff will get the Sabres there - Adams too.

Again, I am hopeful.  As I have said many times, without hope there is nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I agree with you and I hope that it works.  His coaching style back when turned boys into men, but by 2005 he had a far better roster than the Sabres have now.  NJ was a young team, but a better team than the Sabres are now and Ruff was fired when NJ slid backwards.

Adam really has this offseason to build the team.  Seems that Ruff will be involved in that, which is key.

Both talked about the 'next level' - we all know that means playoffs.  I want it to mean cups and I have my doubts that Ruff will get the Sabres there - Adams too.

Again, I am hopeful.  As I have said many times, without hope there is nothing.

I am interested to see if KA moves on from prospects and which ones. Ruff will watch Rochester closely and probably get up to speed with Savoie, Komarov in the CHL playoffs. KA talks about a team of decision makers, I want Lindy to have a lot of input.

• Like (+1) 1

His last gig in a familiar place.  A little too cozy for my liking, but who the heck else (who's not from WNY) would want a job where you get to spend every winter in f ing WNY other than someone who already knows the area and therefore can get past the weather negative??   Players/Coaches, not easy to get them to B Lo i would imagine; B Lo must be on every rock-star players'  "no-trade" list.   Poorly run franchise in a highly negatively perceived (not valid, but real) area.   Let's hope he can get them to the next level. 

Edited by OrangeSeatVertigo

I went with "whatever" in the poll. I think Ruff can work, his Marty interview was great yesterday and much better than his presser. That said, my issue goes back to process. They wanted Ruff and they got Ruff, that doesn't mean they are wrong but it also calls into question their ability to objectively judge the coaches available. With all that said, I think I feel whatever because until the team under any coach shows us they get what it takes to win at this level consistently, it is all just window dressing to me. Lindy can only do so much and the players have to realize they are to blame for the state of the franchise just as much as any coach. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I went with "whatever" in the poll. I think Ruff can work, his Marty interview was great yesterday and much better than his presser. That said, my issue goes back to process. They wanted Ruff and they got Ruff, that doesn't mean they are wrong but it also calls into question their ability to objectively judge the coaches available. With all that said, I think I feel whatever because until the team under any coach shows us they get what it takes to win at this level consistently, it is all just window dressing to me. Lindy can only do so much and the players have to realize they are to blame for the state of the franchise just as much as any coach. 

I have a theory that the "search" started when Lindy was fired from NJ. Lindy's firing prompted a phone call from Pegula to Adams and Adams immediately reached out to Lindy. After the first conversation, Adams may have sought input from people about not only Lindy, but other coaches who could be available at the end of the season. Again, this is happening before Meatballs is fired, which is important to note.

Anyway, Pegula reaffirms that it's Lindy or bust. So, Lindy, Adams and Pegula negotiate Lindy's next tenure which I think includes assurances to Lindy that none of the other coaches had. Indeed, I think it goes beyond just roster moves and player selection, I think Lindy doesn't have to answer to Adams and that Adams is now the puppet of both Lindy and Pegula.

Meatballs is fired and that week before the season-ending presser, Adams tries to contact Gallant, Berube and maybe one more knowing full well the question of a "thorough search" will come up. At the season-ending presser, Adams, because he's dumb, basically describes Lindy. For the six days after the press conference Adams may have had superficial contact with some potential coaches.

Anyway, this is to build up to the actual reason Adams falls on his face with the "double digits" comment: by the time Meatballs is fired, Lindy and the Sabres had already settled their negotiations and were ready to move forward. Adams can not say this. In fact, he can never say this. He's an idiot, his two bosses, Pegula and Lindy, are there, and his job is on the line. He thusly blurts out the only thing his weak mind can come up with instead of simply saying "we had some time before the season ended to consider the direction we want to go. This laid the groundwork for conversations immediately after Donnie was relieved of his duties. Considering the parameters we wanted to work within, our list was short, but regardless of the history with the Sabres Lindy was clearly the person we were after."