Kevyn Adams, press conference 4/16/2024

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

My god Dylan looks completely gooned

haha good picture 

That kid looks like he needs to hit the gym.  Maybe its an unflattering picture, but he sure as hell doesn’t look like a professional athlete there.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

That kid looks like he needs to hit the gym.  Maybe its an unflattering picture, but he sure as hell doesn’t look like a professional athlete there.

GMKA needs to deliver a strong message that he needs to bulk up this off-season.  He is still too thin to be effective where the team needs him to be.  

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Weave said:

i am not one to talk (built like @Scottysabres!), but i thought the same thing when i saw it. his chest looks frickin' concave. time to hit the gym, buddy.

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Old out of shapes internet bros telling a pro athlete that "it's time to hit the gym" is peak internet outrage culture. Cozens wasn't bad because he didn't hit the gym, he was bad because of terrible decision making and an abnormal regression in his shot percentage but why bother? For 14 years all I've ever heard here is the team needs to get bigger, hit the gym, bulk up, they are too small. Why change now? 

Carry on. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Old out of shapes internet bros telling a pro athlete that "it's time to hit the gym" is peak internet outrage culture. Cozens wasn't bad because he didn't hit the gym, he was bad because of terrible decision making and an abnormal regression in his shot percentage but why bother? For 14 years all I've ever heard here is the team needs to get bigger, hit the gym, bulk up, they are too small. Why change now? 

Carry on. 

I mostly agree with you in a causation sense. I think there’s an argument for correlation, though. But that’s purely message board fodder 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Old out of shapes internet bros telling a pro athlete that "it's time to hit the gym" is peak internet outrage culture.

Ehh. Probably some truth here. Otoh, the dude's season seemed to spiral downward after he got his face broken. Maybe he fares better there if his chest doesn't look like an anatomical depression?

I’d wager, even if some aren’t formulating it into those terms, that what’s *really* bothering some is a perceived lack of commitment 

remember, the context of this particular convo is Adams seemingly agreeing the locker room was entitled/arrogant, whichever term 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I mostly agree with you in a causation sense. I think there’s an argument for correlation, though. But that’s purely message board fodder 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Cozens wasn't bad because he didn't hit the gym, he was bad because of terrible decision making and an abnormal regression in his shot percentage but why bother? For 14 years all I've ever heard here is the team needs to get bigger, hit the gym, bulk up, they are too small. Why change now? 

Carry on. 

More generally, I do pine for a team where, up and down the roster, the players can "take care of themselves" and look the part of grizzled (even if lightly grizzled) NHL vets. I feel like our room of chill bros get their vibes disturbed when tougher opponents start pushing them around.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’d wager, even if some aren’t formulating it into those terms, that what’s *really* bothering some is a perceived lack of commitment 

remember, the context of this particular convo is Adams seemingly agreeing the locker room was entitled/arrogant, whichever term 

thanks for this. the original context was the rum punch picture, the equivocal showings that followed (especially the slow starts), that reporter's mention of "arrogance" in the locker room, and KA's acknowledgment that there are young players on this team who thought they'd arrived.

Might actually be a piña colada, btw.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

More generally, I do pine for a team where, up and down the roster, the players can "take care of themselves" and look the part of grizzled (even if lightly grizzled) NHL vets. I feel like our room of chill bros get their vibes disturbed when tougher opponents start pushing them around.

I'd love this team. The chill vibes and bro fest is embarrassing for a team that hasn't never been to playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think he needs to spend the summer with Benson and Quinn learning how to win battles. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd love this team. The chill vibes and bro fest is embarrassing for a team that hasn't never been to playoffs. 

I think he needs to spend the summer with Benson and Quinn learning how to win battles. 

The bold puts it in a succinct way for me. I’ve wanted to just chalk it up to being old (and yes that’s a part of it) but the juxtaposition with never winning IS rather annoying lol

Of course, people will point to the fact they are kids and detached from the previous losing and their more nonchalant attitude makes sense. Which may be true: but inadvertently or not what that does is significantly reinforce the idea that we fans really ARE in a different business than the players, who for them the crest is temporary.

You can’t even blame the players for a lot of it, the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

Do I think they have a few egregious missteps this season in betraying that lack of kinship with the fans: almost comically so.

Do I think it presents yet another bullet point on the side of what more veteran players would be able to have greater success at? Yes.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Do I think Adams can’t be blamed for the fans dissatisfaction for the time this is taking because they’ve only been here for 4 years of it? No. They are *creating a product* for a particular market. What, market research isn’t a thing anymore? Tailoring your product to the consumer isn’t a thing? Why shouldn’t they be aware of the mindset of their consumer at they point of time they elected for a long form build? 

One doesn’t even need to argue it to be the wrong decision to admit they made their choice of strategy with full knowledge of how the base react to it. It is NOT on the consumer to ignore the context. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Carry on. 

Nah.  That looked like a pic of my 26yr old son, who is def not a professional athlete.  He just doesn’t have the committed gym rat physique.

LOL at you of all people calling out internet outrage culture.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/16/2024 at 3:26 PM, LGR4GM said:

"yes we want to be harder to play against, compete harder, more physicality" 

"You got to win at home" 

- Adams

"Our system did not change, what changed was at time the focus was on cleaning up some things defensively." Goes on to talk about how there was not a philosophy change here but that felt players might have changed some of their dynamic. He gets asked point blank what happened. He felt often times they were caught in the middle, meaning the were not an attacking team or a defensive team. Saw hesitancy. They need to fix it he said. 

I will say he definitely hit the nail on the head with regards to what went wrong this season.

On 4/16/2024 at 4:41 PM, That Aud Smell said:

I don't see the rationale for defending how this team prepared under Granato.

Did anyone catch Dahlin’s remarks today?

Dude said that the team didn’t practice hard enough and that they’ll need to be more intense in their training and preparation next season.

There’s no disputing it: DG didn’t work these guys hard enough.

The Beyond Blue and Gold Skinner goofball practice video from midseason — “is practice over? … Tuchy said it’s over … okay, I’m done” — was the Sabres organization telling on themselves.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I like that you responded to yourself here. Haha. 

I think I generally agree here. Worth noting that I believe Adams said something along the lines of "getting cute" as opposed to "grinding it out" or "making it hard on the other team". 

The team didn't seem prepared to play starting game 1 in October. They need to be in better shape when they come back to Buffalo later this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

I only see the peak human athletic condition 

The man was put on earth to do 2 things score goals, and eat hot dogs... looks like were almost out of hot dogs...

15 hours ago, Mango said:

I like that you responded to yourself here. Haha. 

I think I generally agree here. Worth noting that I believe Adams said something along the lines of "getting cute" as opposed to "grinding it out" or "making it hard on the other team". 

The team didn't seem prepared to play starting game 1 in October. They need to be in better shape when they come back to Buffalo later this year. 

He's not wrong... I'm not sure how one counts extra passes, but we pass up a LOT of pretty good shots to pass.  Sometimes they're even passing from somewhere like the high slot, to the dot for a worse shot.  

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Did anyone catch Dahlin’s remarks today?

Dude said that the team didn’t practice hard enough and that they’ll need to be more intense in their training and preparation next season.

There’s no disputing it: DG didn’t work these guys hard enough.

The Beyond Blue and Gold Skinner goofball practice video from midseason — “is practice over? … Tuchy said it’s over … okay, I’m done” — was the Sabres organization telling on themselves.

It reflected in the first period of literally every game they played.  The youngest team in the league should be among the fastest, and i didn't find our team to be faster than many teams.  When you're chasing points at the end of the season, you need to shorten the bench and play top guys for more minutes.  When you get caught on a long shift, you need to not have anchors in your skates.    

• Like (+1) 1

I am REALLY interested to see what happens when the new coach is announced. Is it someone Adams expects to just coach the lineup he gives him or does the coach help shape the lineup and we see trades and signings that reflect the coach’s vision. 

20 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Insane buffness aside - OMG! Sidney Crosby on a beach! He must not be committed to hockey!!!!!

image.png.064a5f034a129f5124732cb11913a0e2.png

It's like everyone expects every player to be doing off-ice stick handling drills every second they are not ON the ice or in whatever magical weight room everyone assumes will make them "grittier". Joseph Smith ... they are people - they get to take vacations. 

**not directing this specifically at our friendly neighborhood Liger - I was just too lazy to keep scrolling to find the egregious indignation being hurled at Dylan and Tage for taking a beat to rest.

Edited by ska-T Chitown