Kevyn Adams, press conference 4/16/2024

LGR4GM

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Adams clearly likes Appert and did not directly say he would not be considered for HC. 

Arguably I'd say the opposite; I think he effectively said he wouldn't hire him as HC due to his lack of NHL experience but would be happy to let him be an assistant  

• Agree 2

Just now, ska-T Chitown said:

He did specifically state he wanted previous NHL head coaching experience, did he not?

Yes, multiple times. He said experience and then was asked if he wanted NHL HC experience and they barely finished the question before he said "yes" but I think Adams would change his mind if the experienced guys don't give him want he wants. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am not happy with Adams. He did not do enough.

I fully agree.  He has failed the organization time and again.  He didn't shore up the goalies for years. Still hasn't fixed the D group.  Didn't make any substantive changes when the offense fell apart early in the season and for reasons only know to him and G-d, Matt Ellis still has a job.  Enough!

His firing of DG today and this vehement press conference doesn't even begin to change the lack of accountability in this organization under his leadership. Why weren't any of these issues vocalized and changed in season when there was still a chance to make the playoffs?

Frankly, this whole friggin mess is on him.  He should be fired as well for gross incompetence.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Arguably I'd say the opposite; I think he effectively said he wouldn't hire him as HC due to his lack of NHL experience but would be happy to let him be an assistant  

Maybe, I could easily read it that way and maybe by not endorsing him as a hc in Buffalo but wanting him focused on Rochester was a subtle way of saying no.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TageMVP said:

Sounds like Adams is saying all the right things. Hopefully it's not a sounds too good to be true scenario 

He could walk in and tell me I am the greatest person in the world and shower me with more compliments than grains of sand on a beach and tbh it wouldn't matter. They either fix this mess or they don't. The words ultimately mean 0. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

"We just didn't play well enough, period. From day one of training camp, we did not have our standards high enough across the board. I take responsibility for all of this. I need to be better." Kevyn Adams

I was happy to hear him say this.  

He did not have a playoff roster.  He and Granato futzed around with prospects for too long, and the NHL roster was not set soon enough and not ready to go.  

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

He seems to be talking A LOT about effort, grit, etc. He even mentioned that it was a problem day 1 of training camp. 

Ok, which one of you is Adams Super Secret Sabrespace Squril account? Fess up, because he's parroting what's been said in this arena for years now.

So, Fess up Kyven, which acct is you? We have......"suggestions"....

LG, your up first in line.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mango said:

Adams is very fiery. He is either getting this thing under control or he is spiralling. Either way the success or trainwreck should be entertaining. 

I would prefer an absent Pegula. A highly involved Terry is bad for hockey in this town. 

Howard Hughes ran everything over the phone. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

He could walk in and tell me I am the greatest person in the world and shower me with more compliments than grains of sand on a beach and tbh it wouldn't matter. They either fix this mess or they don't. The words ultimately mean 0. 

Yes, hence why I said the second sentence 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Very true, he'll have to put his money where his mouth is but at very least he's finally saying what we want to hear.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The bit upthread about Adams' saying that competition starts in practice/training was interesting to me.

We've recently heard about how Sabre practices are light work.

That was subtly very interesting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

"yes we want to be harder to play against, compete harder, more physicality" 

"You got to win at home" 

- Adams

"Our system did not change, what changed was at time the focus was on cleaning up some things defensively." Goes on to talk about how there was not a philosophy change here but that felt players might have changed some of their dynamic. He gets asked point blank what happened. He felt often times they were caught in the middle, meaning the were not an attacking team or a defensive team. Saw hesitancy. They need to fix it he said. 

This kind of goes against want Dg said - the infamous "adding defense this year" comment.  

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Ok, which one of you is Adams Super Secret Sabrespace Squril account? Fess up, because he's parroting what's been said in this arena for years now.

So, Fess up Kyven, which acct is you? We have......"suggestions"....

LG, your up first in line.

I have been calling out a number of posters as being a Pegula or Adams burner account this year. Not me dude. 

...or is that what Terry or Kevyn would want you to think? 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Asked about the arrogance that seemed to be coming from the room early in the season, Adams basically said the team didn't earn it yet and repeated it a few times. Seemed a bit incredulous that the team thought they had arrived. Talked again about earning it. 

Yes, this caught my attention.  I got the impression that some of them thought they were gonna win, without earning it.  

This is were the veteran leaders must be the right ones.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I have been calling out a number of posters as being a Pegula or Adams burner account this year. Not me dude. 

...or is that what Terry or Kevyn would want you to think? 

It's me, I am Kevyn Adams personal Sabrespace correspondent. Give him a daily summary. I have been caught. 

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am not happy with Adams. He did not do enough. I will give him credit for being pretty straight forward here and finally after months of bs saying the truth. The team isn't gritty enough, they aren't physical enough, they didn't handle it well, and it wasn't good enough. I didn't think Adams would say it to be honest. I will see how the coaching search goes. 

I think their reaction to the boos in December cemented it for him - if anything sent off massive red flags.  

Was there any moment that said “we’re too comfortable” then this?

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Like (+1) 1