Off-season Game Plan 2024

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Im sorry but this is short sighted and doesn't view the cap ramifications over time. In 2026-2027 the cap hit for Jeff is 6.4 million and then it is 2.44million for 3 years after that if you buy him out this offseason. You do get a savings this offseason, but who cares? This is the least important offseason to have that cap savings as the Sabres A. already have the space to bring in a higher end player (which they wont) and B. don't have to worry about Quinn and JJP next contract, so having that space is superfluous. Meanwhile if you simply wait until next offseason, you save 2.4million in 2029/30. You save 445k every single other year and still save 5million on the cap for year 1 of the new Quinn/JJP deal. It makes far more logical sense to wait one year, especially when as I noted it gives you depth. Jeff Skinner isn't a bad player, he just isn't worth 9million. 

Buy him out next year and spend this year trying to trade him. You can always use him on lines 1-3 and he is almost guaranteed to be better under Ruff and have a bounce back year. 

We just disagree. I think it is short-sighted to be worrying about an extra $450k in cap hit from 25-26 to 28-29 and a $2.5 million hit in 29-30 when the cap could be over $100 million. 

The Canucks bought out OEL last June. They saved almost $8 million in space this year. That’s JT Miller. Or Lindholm and Zadorov. For the next 7 years the buyout cap hit is 2.3, 4.7, 4.7, 2.1, 2.1, 2.1, 2.1.  Few Canuck fans are lamenting the buyout right now (it will hurt at some point though).  

Of course, I know that the Sabres aren’t buying out Skinner. Their recent coaching moves show they are less than courageous when it comes to bold moves. For discussion purposes though, imagine an off-season where they do the things you are hoping they do, and they clear up $7.5 million in space to add two players that are currently not accessible due to cap limitations. Dare to dream. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'd be surprised if they sign a free agent better or more expensive than Clifton.

And I'm actually OK with that because those deals generally aren't the answer.

I think better answers can be found in trade

Interesting.  I certainly wouldn’t be surprised.

Like the Byram-Mitts trade, any real trade this summer will be informative as to KA’s pro talent evaluation abilities.  So far I think the jury is still out.  

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.  I certainly wouldn’t be surprised.

Like the Byram-Mitts trade, any real trade this summer will be informative as to KA’s pro talent evaluation abilities.  So far I think the jury is still out.  

You think the jury is still out on KA as a pro player evaluator? I think the jury has returned a verdict.   He’s guilty of being terrible.

Good - Tuch

Mediocre - Greenway, Anderson, and Clifton

Bad - Comrie, Bjork, Lyubushkin, E Johnson, Robinson, Hall, E Staal, Krebs, Jost, Stillman, Dell, Pysyk, Eakin, Hagg, Butcher, Hayden and Subban.  

You can add his terrible decisions to re-sign Okposo, Jost, and Girgensons and the failure to move on from Olofsson.  

I’d say that’s a piss poor record of pro talent evaluation.  That’s what you get when you shop at the clearance bin at Walmart and have no clue how to construct a roster.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

Big part of the reason season was so disappointing is again alluded to here by KO. 6545E15A-B417-4147-87CE-2F9066B0B233.thumb.png.71375e5d662a30517918460395338721.png

The bit specifically about how they “knew” in *OCTOBER* things weren’t right.

So if they knew so soon things weren’t right, and they knew the locker room was feeling entitled (KA’s press conference), how did it get to a situation it went south so fast? If it was imminently obvious that quickly, presumably it was discoverable or even obvious before the season started? Why did the GM allow the situation to exist, and the fester for so long?

At this point the discussion on the failure of this season is sort of getting redundant, what matters now is the coming season: it’s just disheartening we keep getting forced to come back to the analysis cause we keep getting more hard-line confirmation they really were lost right out of the gate 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Big part of the reason season was so disappointing is again alluded to here by KO. 6545E15A-B417-4147-87CE-2F9066B0B233.thumb.png.71375e5d662a30517918460395338721.png

So if they knew so soon things weren’t right, and they knew the locker room was feeling entitled (KA’s press conference), how did it get to a situation it went south so fast? If it was imminently obvious that quickly, presumably it was discoverable or even obvious before the season started? Why did the GM allow the situation to exist, and the fester for so long?

At this point the discussion on the failure of this season is sort of getting redundant, what matters now is the coming season: it’s just disheartening we keep getting forced to come back to the analysis cause we keep getting more hard-line confirmation they really were lost right out of the gate 

Feels like many players likely felt it was doomed from the start and felt it was an inevitability they’d miss

22 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Feels like many players likely felt it was doomed from the start and felt it was an inevitability they’d miss

Such an odd vibe. Not what I expected from the group at all honestly, and I’ve had my beefs obviously. So much we are hearing is just so weird. 

Tuch’s comments *during the season*/playoff push on a podcast that “we are young, we’ll eventually get there.” Why? Why throw the towel in verbally when you are still in it 

EDIT - just realized there’s a thread for this specific discussion already, my mistake 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Such an odd vibe. Not what I expected from the group at all honestly, and I’ve had my beefs obviously. So much we are hearing is just so weird. 

Tuch’s comments *during the season*/playoff push on a podcast that “we are young, we’ll eventually get there.” Why? Why throw the towel in verbally when you are still in it 

EDIT - just realized there’s a thread for this specific discussion already, my mistake 

Because Tuch was regurgitating Kevyn Adams excuses. The team bought the bs Adams and Granato were peddling. 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I will give credit to a guy named Jim Bob on hfboards who created this. 

Who do you sign or trade for this summer:

IMG_0235.webp

I'd pull forechecking stats for them and go after as many as I can get. 

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

To quote former Sabres Captain Ryan O'Reilly:

"I lost my love of the game in Buffalo".

Former Captain Jack Eichel:

"Vegas made so much sense to me. They want to win every year".

And recent former Captain Kyle Okposo:

"We knew we were screwed in the beginning".

The Buffalo Sabres are a team where top talent is drafted, then paid to leave.

Edited by seer775

2 minutes ago, seer775 said:

This is not a new phenomenon. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

This is not a new phenomenon. 

The only solution is to boycott all Sabres tickets and merchandise. Make the franchise unprofitable so Terry & Kim Pegula pack their bags and head for the hills.

Also, lobby your government to stop any future handouts to the owners of the Bills/Sabres.

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Eichel didn't have a NMC in effect yet.  He was traded in November, 2021, and his NMC kicked in at the start of the 22-23 season.

He would have left willingly.

Edited by seer775

Just now, seer775 said:

The only solution is to boycott all Sabres tickets and merchandise. Make the franchise unprofitable so Terry & Kim Pegula pack their bags and head for the hills.

I haven’t given them any money since the Tank.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, seer775 said:
4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Well yeah.  He asked for the trade.

That proves that it's possible.

He reportedly asked for the trade prior to needing surgery.  It had to do with not wanting to go through another rebuild, not the injury.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

He reportedly asked for the trade prior to needing surgery.  It had to do with not wanting to go through another rebuild, not the injury.

Hm, Jack had a soul...

If Jeff wants to play, he will play 60 minutes a night until he leaves, or cannot play anymore.

This is the way.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, seer775 said:

Hm, Jack had a soul...

If Jeff wants to play, he will play 60 minutes a night until he leaves, or cannot play anymore.

This is the way.

And people think he doesn’t back-check now.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

And people think he doesn’t back-check now.

That's true.

I guess we'd have to fleece another GM to get rid of him.

Pump his stats before the deadline and then retain some salary.

33 minutes ago, seer775 said:

Also, lobby your government to stop any future handouts to the owners of the Bills/Sabres.

And that my friend is how your city loses your only two Top Pro Sport teams.

58 minutes ago, seer775 said:

I don’t even think it’s some nefarious thing, liger is right they take on the mindset of the organization, but they more less imbibe it: the top-down refusal to measure results in the now becomes part of a fabric of their developing identity 

Some recognize it and ask out 

Don’t forget that Jack specifically said on record he asked to be dealt *because* Adams wanted to rebuild. We didn’t have to rebuild because Jack wanted out 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 2