Would you trade expected fall roster for an expansion roster?

PASabreFan

Would you trade expected fall roster for an expansion roster?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade expected fall roster for an expansion roster?

• Yes
    • No

Maybe not enough info... Who is building this team is critical. Who is the owner? What's the budget? What's the mandate?

In an ideal world (real GM or POHO, real owner who wants to win ASAP, spending not an issue) my answer is a slam dunk.

And no I would not miss Dahlin a'tall.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Can I get a hell yeah.

It's just a thought experiment, after all.

This would depend, btw, on lottery rules and whether there are elite players among the top amateurs. (Not because I'd want us to have that player, but because we'd probably be able to trade back and acquire a boat load of more assets.)

And, of course, you need a good team doing the work. Goobers who played in the NHL and then ran a fancy hockey rink need not apply.

• Like (+1) 1

I understand the, “why not” because this team has not won anything. But two things stick out to say no.

The first is the average age of a player on an expansion team. They’re made of average veterans. Hypothetically, the best is yet to come with this Sabres team due to their age.  I’ll sign up for that versus what Seattle has going for them. 

The other reaction is on the pool of expansion draft. The generally used option for Seattle to build from was 7F, 3D, 1G protected. So a whole lot of third line forwards with a bunch of 2nd/3rd pairing D. I think the Sabres roster going forward has many pieces better than that.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I answered yes - but timing is everything. at the moment - i am an anarchist sabres fan and i love good questions. 

that said, if i was the decider of all things sabres - i would say no. the kids have talent - the parents are the trainwreck. so im just going to hope child services comes in and puts the parents in jail for excessive abuse and neglect. 

24 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I understand the, “why not” because this team has not won anything. But two things stick out to say no.

The first is the average age of a player on an expansion team. They’re made of average veterans. Hypothetically, the best is yet to come with this Sabres team due to their age.  I’ll sign up for that versus what Seattle has going for them. 

The other reaction is on the pool of expansion draft. The generally used option for Seattle to build from was 7F, 3D, 1G protected. So a whole lot of third line forwards with a bunch of 2nd/3rd pairing D. I think the Sabres roster going forward has many pieces better than that.  

slightly off topic - but i just saw the current sabres is only one year younger on average than our beloved 05-06 sabres team. 

either that means by that by the end march of 2025 - we have either witnessed a big jump in the standing  - or we are no longer allowed to use that stat to be hopeful about things to come... 

3 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

slightly off topic - but i just saw the current sabres is only one year younger on average than our beloved 05-06 sabres team. 

either that means by that by the end march of 2025 - we have either witnessed a big jump in the standing  - or we are no longer allowed to use that stat to be hopeful about things to come... 

good call out. That 05-06 was a young team. As for this current roster, giddyup 🏇

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Maybe I’m wrong, but the core of the defense is 23, 22, and 21.  Defensemen cook for longer than top flight forwards on an ELC. When Buffalo drafted defensemen first overall twice, that announced the true “window.” And that is upcoming. But hey, maybe I’m out to lunch. 

26 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but the core of the defense is 23, 22, and 21.  Defensemen cook for longer than top flight forwards on an ELC. When Buffalo drafted defensemen first overall twice, that announced the true “window.” And that is upcoming. But hey, maybe I’m out to lunch. 

I'm mostly just clowning around. I was giving a big chuckle to the apparently non-ironic invocation of hope as a reason to prefer the Sabres as currently constituted. "Hope" has become a bit of a four-letter word among the Sabre faithful.

8 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I'm ill informed on the topic so hopefully someone can enlighten me, but outside of Vegas.. have expansion teams been successful?

Florida Panthers lost in the Stanley Cup finals in their 3rd season.

Lindy Ruff was an assistant coach.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I'm ill informed on the topic so hopefully someone can enlighten me, but outside of Vegas.. have expansion teams been successful?

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Florida Panthers lost in the Stanley Cup finals in their 3rd season.

Lindy Ruff was an assistant coach.

Yikes that was 30 years ago. Time flies. 

Back then, each existing club was permitted to protect one goaltender, five defensemen and nine forwards. 😯

What the Panthers did was a minor miracle. They were a 92 point team who got hot at the right time. If I’m not mistaken, the Panthers haven’t won a playoff series since that 1995 run until last year’s Cup final run.