GDT/ Buffalo Sabres @ Vancouver Canucks Tuesday 10pm 3/19, ESPN+ MSG & WGR Radio

2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

A loss tonight coupled with some bad scoreboard outcomes could bury them pretty quickly. I thought 3-1 on this trip could be enough but I am starting to think they have to go 4-0.

It ends our suffering much sooner lolĀ 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I'm a gonna say it ... she can't sing.Ā  I suppose that does not matter atoll, eh !!??

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I mean she isn't Lady Gaga, but she is also better singer than say Trey Anastasio (most people are).Ā 
Ā 

It's fair to say that Taylor Swift isn't an impressive vocalist in the tradition of powerhouses like Gaga (good example) or, say, Aretha Franklin (who infamously threw shade at Swift when comparing her to another contemporary singer (Adele maybe)). I've read/seen people remark: "OMG, Taylor Swift more talks than she sings and now I can't unhear it."

But there is something absolutely massive going on with, from, and through Taylor Swift -- it's occurring at the confluence of art, culture, and commerce. It's unprecedented. It's staggering.

I've been to a couple of her shows - not Eras. They were very entertaining.

And yes, as mentioned upthread: She deserves props as a songwriter.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's fair to say that Taylor Swift isn't an impressive vocalist in the tradition of powerhouses like Gaga (good example) or, say, Aretha Franklin (who infamously threw shade at Swift when comparing her to another contemporary singer (Adele maybe)). I've read/seen people remark: "OMG, Taylor Swift more talks than she sings and now I can't unhear it."

But there is something absolutely massive going on with, from, and through Taylor Swift -- it's occurring at the confluence of art, culture, and commerce. It's unprecedented. It's staggering.

She really runs the spectrum for me ... As an entertainer and business person, she absolutely slays. (I think I used that correctly?).Ā 

As a singer, she does not do it for me. Very middle of the road - which is obviously 1000 levels better than me, but on the radio - it is meh.

Songwriter - two or three years ago, I pretty much dismissed her. (Not that she or any of her fans would care) - it felt to me like so many of her songs were just retreads of previous breakup or jilted lover songs. Her latest stuff, however, shows signs of evolving and has a good deal of lyrical interest. To me, at least.

• Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Good post.Ā 

To the bolded I think she has certainly broken the code on the formula for how to be a successful pop artist. I struggle to sort of explain the whole thing, but you put it really succinctly.Ā 

The part I cannot wrap my head around is that she is pushing the limits of music fandom. But at the same time she isn't changing things. She isn't the first to do much anything (that I am aware of). But she is developing this sort of following that rivals the Beatles or the Grateful Dead. And even in pop music we have seen remarkable song writing from the likes of Prince or Michael Jackson. She is doing a lot of what has been already done but doing it with a following that is as big or bigger than her contemporaries who maybe even did it better.Ā 

I think it is a combination of her talent (she is talented), the mix of the above, her 5 year hiatus from new music/touring, openly writing songs about A LOT of famous people (ex's), and re-recording her albums.Ā 

EDIT: This is peak Pegula-Era Sabres. Hijacking a gameday thread to discuss Taylor Swift. Congrats Terry, you are doing a great job!

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

A loss tonight coupled with some bad scoreboard outcomes could bury them pretty quickly. I thought 3-1 on this trip could be enough but I am starting to think they have to go 4-0.

3-1 would have been fine, if they'd have won the game in Detroit.

20 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

As an entertainer and business person, she absolutely slays. (I think I used that correctly?).Ā 

As a singer, she does not do it for me.

See also:Ā  Mick Jagger.Ā  As a singer I think he's awful but as an entertainer/front man, one of the very best.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

See also:Ā  Mick Jagger.Ā  As a singer I think he's awful but as an entertainer/front man, one of the very best.

Oooh. Dang. That is a good call and an apt comparison. Is Mick a "good" singer in any technical or traditional sense? Nah.Ā  Not really. Can he command the attention of 60,000 people and entertain them all? Oh yeah.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

Bob Dylan has entered the chat

It's actually funny in a way:Ā  There are all manner of male singers that aren't the best singers but are great entertainers and the world embraces them.Ā  But heaven forbid a female singer may be considered mediocre.

I could name a ton of male singers that are great singers but not very good singers (you know what I mean).Ā  No one cares.Ā  The music is good, that's all that matters.Ā  But one female singer who maybe doesn't sing like a songbird?Ā  Throw shade her way!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

That is a good call and an apt comparison.

There are dozens of them.Ā  Like @Mango said, Bob Dylan, plus Mark Knoffler, Neil Young, Joe Cocker, etc.Ā  Are any of these guys good singers from a technical standpoint?Ā  Does it matter?Ā  If you like the music you like the music.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It's actually funny in a way:Ā  There are all manner of male singers that aren't the best singers but are great entertainers and the world embraces them.Ā  But heaven forbid a female singer may be considered mediocre.

I could name a ton of male singers that are great singers but not very good singers (you know what I mean).Ā  No one cares.Ā  The music is good, that's all that matters.Ā  But one female singer who maybe doesn't sing like a songbird?Ā  Throw shade her way!

I agree with you 100%. But I also think her numbers are so astronomically historical the whole thing has become a major talking point.

For reference Elton John had the highest grossing tour of all time at $990M over 330 total shows. Taylor Swift's Era's Tour has grossed over $1B and has only played something like 80 shows to date. Her popularity and revenue is a standard deviation above almost every recording artist in history.Ā 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

West coast games the week after the start of daylight savings time is requiring a second cup of coffee.

If they were weekend games, at least Baileyā€™s could be involved.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

I am tired from last night...LOL Will try to watch at least the first period. Would love a repeat of last night and be able to go to sleep with a 5-2 lead. LOL PLease!!!!!!

The Sabres will always put a dagger in our hearts. We will be tied 1-1 all the way into the third period. The canucks will score with 3 minutes left. You lose sleep and happiness and the Sabres lose 2 pointsĀ 

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

With all this Taylor Swift talk in the GDT you'd think the Sabres were playing the Chiefs tonight or something...

If we could get a Byram/Swift thing going that would be great. The age thing might be an issue though. Maybe Girgs or Skinner?Ā 

Terry could hire her as POHO and finally get out of the way. It would be perfect. She could take up residency at the Key Bank Center. Which, by the way is a venue in huge demand since word got out that they upgraded the roof.Ā 

Taylor could single handedly save the city of Buffalo.Ā 

59 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

There are dozens of them.Ā  Like @Mango said, Bob Dylan, plus Mark Knoffler, Neil Young, Joe Cocker, etc.Ā  Are any of these guys good singers from a technical standpoint?Ā  Does it matter?Ā  If you like the music you like the music.

Did you ever consider that itā€™s the songs, the lyrics and their meaning, the arrangement and the musicianship? Ā  Singing voice is only one part of the performance. Ā 
Ā 

And There are plenty of female singers that have only average voices but write good songs. Ā I know plenty ofĀ people that either like and donā€™t like - Ā Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchel, Cher, Stevie Nicks, Cindy Lauper, Taylor Swift, Ā etc. Ā Ā 

Rating musicians and songwriters is to me a waste of time.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Mango said:

If we could get a Byram/Swift thing going that would be great. The age thing might be an issue though. Maybe Girgs or Skinner?Ā 

Terry could hire her as POHO and finally get out of the way. It would be perfect. She could take up residency at the Key Bank Center. Which, by the way is a venue in huge demand since word got out that they upgraded the roof.Ā 

Taylor could single handedly save the city of Buffalo.Ā 

Ā 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

The Sabres will always put a dagger in our hearts. We will be tied 1-1 all the way into the third period. The canucks will score with 3 minutes left. You lose sleep and happiness and the Sabres lose 2 pointsĀ 

If that's the case my ass will be in bed 10 mins into the 2nd period. My phone buzzes when someone scores. When i wake up my 10 times a night i will check the score! LOLĀ