The next captain of the Sabres will be/should be

mjd1001

The Sabres will choose as the next captain:  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the TEAM choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else
  2. 2. Who would YOU choose as the next captain?

• Dahlin
    • Tuch
    • Cozens
    • Thompson
    • Someone else

13 minutes ago, Believer said:

Two or three… Fine by me… Let the strongest leader emerge… and allow the new HC to give his input and blessing.

^this. Personally - if i were to base this strictly off of play, in-season and exit interviews - I would not make a single one of them captains out of the gate.

Not saying none of them are captain worthy - but for a team basically saying their flaw is a 'lack of work ethic' tells me that no one on the team was able to take control of it. A leader sees that early, and takes it upon themselves to solve it - regardless of the head coach. 

Hoping the next HC evaluates and decides based on season based results- and if no one emerges - no one gets it. 

OR - pull a Messier like the Rangers did. Go get a proven leader from another team and make them captain day one. That would send a hell of a message...

• Agree 1

On 3/18/2024 at 8:41 PM, Thorny said:

I expect cliches, don’t get me wrong, I’d just rather not hear the worst part of the GM’s schtick, the part most insulting to my fellow fans, regurgitated.

Granato was saying this, pre season: 

“2 years ago, we weren't in a position to really go after wins,” Granato said. “We had to grow, we had to gain experience. And we've got it to the point now where these guys, winning should be expected on a nightly basis. Should go into games expecting to win”

Tuch seems to just be offering an excuse. The worst excuse, at that. I don’t expect answers from Tuch. Especially not in this format. I think just avoiding that sort of active insult to our intelligence, which is honestly how I perceive it, would be what I’m after. Again, no answers necessary.

If he sat there and said “goal was playoffs, and we weren’t good enough. Need to be better.” then, for me, that would have been a nothingburger, expected, and fine 

hope that clarifies my stance 

Alternative interpretation: Tuch is looking for a way to reduce the heat on his teammates. He can’t defend the people who aren’t actually on the team.

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

After watching that interview, I'm more convinced Alex is the best choice.

He had a better interview than Dahlin, that's for sure.

Personally, I thought the Tage interview was the best one.

Sounded like the coach's son he is.

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I won't impugn Dahlin's character or work ethic, but I feel Alex is a better communicator.  It's not Dahlin's fault that English is his second language, but answering the questions you can almost see him still thinking in Swedish and then trying to find English words.

There's truth here.

He remains the one who shows the most leadership on ice.\

51 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

Based purely upon exit interviews I’d pick Thompson.  Seemed the most po’d and most likely to get in your face and step on your throat.  With coaching could he develop that Crosby edge?

Might be seeing three guys wearing the A this year. 

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

29 minutes ago, Believer said:

Two or three… Fine by me… Let the strongest leader emerge… and allow the new HC to give his input and blessing.

This needs to be the way.

• Agree 1

Who are the guys who need to be more accountable in the sense Tage was talking about?

To me there are two levels of this:

The more experienced guys: Skinner, Cozens, Tuch and Tage himself. To a lesser extent Jokiharju, Greenway, Clifton and even at times Dahlin

The kids: virtually all of them save Luukkonnen and maybe Benson. Peterka and Quinn may be fine 'for their age' but that phrase no longer holds water with this team.

The bar was not set high enough individually nearly across the board.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There's truth here.

He remains the one who shows the most leadership on ice.\

This needs to be the way.

On the ice isn’t a factor anymore, on April 18th. These are the days we score press conferences and exit interviews because measuring by what we see on ice didn’t give us the answers we wanted

- - - 

For me personally, this captain stuff is significantly overblown in general. Think of it this way:

If Tuch, or anyone, HAS the ability to lead and they WEREN’T doing it already, when the team was *SO* calling out for a leader this year, how can that person be the rightful captain? Wouldn’t a captain have stepped up, letter or not, if they truly had it in their blood?

The guy who can pick up Thor’s hammer can do so letter or not. If he needs the letter, he’s no captain at all

Leaders lead. Captains are about messaging. Dahlin gives a more consistent effort than any other player. But, more importantly, he’s paid the most. Why the hell give a guy 11 million if he can’t bear extra stitching. My gosh.

Make Tuch captain. Give him a long term contract into his 30s. Bring him back like they did KO season after season when in reality they should have moved on, because they have no choice but to “do right” by the captain. 

When is Tuch’s 1000th game again?

Edited by Thorny

Who gets to talk to the refs again? If we could choose, who would we want to curry more favour with said officials - the dude whos averaged 79 pims a year and THREATENS TO TAKE 100 through punishing physicality? Or the gentle giant who’s averaged 29 pims a year over the last 3?

It is *essential* that Dahlin is the one to command more respect with the the officials, if anyone can at all for us 

He’s going to be on the ice 30 mins a game in the playoffs 

C goes to Dahlin. You don’t have to like it. Maybe he’s not the captain we deserve - but he’s the one we need right now 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

On the ice isn’t a factor anymore, on April 18th. These are the days we score press conferences and exit interviews because measuring by what we see on ice didn’t give us the answers we wanted

- - - 

For me personally, this captain stuff is significantly overblown in general. Think of it this way:

If Tuch, or anyone, HAS the ability to lead and they WEREN’T doing it already, when the team was *SO* calling out for a leader this year, how can that person be the rightful captain? Wouldn’t a captain have stepped up, letter or not, if they truly had it in their blood?

The guy who can pick up Thor’s hammer can do so letter or not. If he needs the letter, he’s no captain at all

Leaders lead. Captains are about messaging. Dahlin gives a more consistent effort than any other player. But, more importantly, he’s paid the most. Why the hell give a guy 11 million if he can’t bear extra stitching. My gosh.

Make Tuch captain. Give him a long term contract into his 30s. Bring him back like they did KO season after season when in reality they should have moved on, because they have no choice but to “do right” by the captain. 

When is Tuch’s 1000th game again?

You mangled @dudacek’s post with your cut and paste…

That aside, agree with your opinion about Leaders. They step up when frustrated to fill the void… Very well reasoned and stated, @Thorny.

Do put more importance and value on the C than you, though…

Your Tuch proposal had me laughing… Would be just like Adams to replicate the KO mistake… Earnestly, of course…

Believe Mr. Peabody has the best idea.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Believer said:

You mangled @dudacek’s post with your cut and paste…

That aside, agree with your opinion about Leaders. They step up when frustrated to fill the void… Very well reasoned and stated, @Thorny.

Do put more importance and value on the C than you, though…

Your Tuch proposal had me laughing… Would be just like Adams to replicate the KO mistake… Earnestly, of course…

Believe Mr. Peabody has the best idea.

Really? On my phone it looks normal, I just cut out a bunch 

So the bold would show without having to click down 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:
5 hours ago, Mr Peabody said:

Based purely upon exit interviews I’d pick Thompson.

I wouldn't have a problem with Thompson.  I think Tuch would be my personal first choice but I think there's an intense but quiet fire burning inside Tommer.

Edited by Doohickie

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

All the shots of Tuch in this Sabres produced video, how can it not be Tuch?

Because PR videos don’t determine the captain 

full disclosure I’m sort of growing tired of their media team filtering literally everything through the perspective of Alex Tuch. He’s not the beacon of the fan base lol 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Or he was the only guy around because the season is over and Dahlin has already gone home to Sweden. 

Nahhhhh

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

Because PR videos don’t determine the captain 

full disclosure I’m sort of growing tired of their media team filtering literally everything through the perspective of Alex Tuch. He’s not the beacon of the fan base lol 

Nahhhhh

Of course they don't, but they are also constructed more carefully than you think and they are designed to convey what the team wants to convey. 

So then you can say they ask Tuch to be there why? They want him as the face of the franchise? The boyhood fan story made good? etc. So why wouldn't they want that as the captain as well??? To want the first part but not the last part would make no sense to me - but then it is the Sabres.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Or he was the only guy around because the season is over and Dahlin has already gone home to Sweden. 

Did he? Did he take his big ass house with him (leave Benson the keys?) Why would a grown man rush home to mommy and daddy as soon as the season ended? If he did, maybe that's a good reason not to be captain right there. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Of course they don't, but they are also constructed more carefully than you think and they are designed to convey what the team wants to convey. 

So then you can say they ask Tuch to be there why? They want him as the face of the franchise? The boyhood fan story made good? etc. So why wouldn't they want that as the captain as well??? To want the first part but not the last part would make no sense to me - but then it is the Sabres.

Did he? Did he take his big ass house with him (leave Benson the keys?) Why would a grown man rush home to mommy and daddy as soon as the season ended? If he did, maybe that's a good reason not to be captain right there. 

Just quoting for posterity 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Just quoting for posterity 

Absolutely and hold me to whatever it is you plan to hold me to so to be clear, and quote this too if you like for posturingarity as well, it's clear to me that everything about Tuch as the next captain makes sense and it's the right choice. Doesn't mean they will make the right choice, but it's the right choice and should be made. 

But ROR was the right choice and they blew that one and gave it to an immature  Eichel so, it is the Sabres. I hope they get it right this time. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No I usually read a lot into their media and have posted my theories on this a lot tbh 

I just am convinced it’ll be Dahlin here, I laid out my reasons upthread.

if I’m wrong so be it. I just hope I’m not 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Absolutely and hold me to whatever it is you plan to hold me to so to be clear, and 

…go on?!

Just now, Thorny said:

No I usually read a lot into their media and have posted my theories on this a lot tbh 

I just am convinced it’ll be Dahlin here, I laid out my reasons upthread.

if I’m wrong so be it. I just hope I’m not 

I feel same. Think it will be Dahlin but Tuch is possible.