Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

Anyways, it’s a very interesting trade. As a trade, as an examination of value and team building, I don’t understand it. But I don’t understand a lot of what KA does in a strategic sense. The trade is certainly par for the course. Nothing really changes: next year is, finally, KA’s 5th year on the job. He’s still on his last chance. If this is one of the moves he made to give the team the best chance of success next year, he can live and die by it.

Byram himself: seems reasonably talented. We’ve rostered plenty of good players. We see them go on to amazing things once gone. He’s probably another good player! KA has shown an ability to bring in good players. He’s shown literally zero ability for those transactions to matter as a means to an end: the only thing that matters 

jury is still out. But they are heading in soon. There are footsteps.  

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Have I definitively won the “Samuelsson’s deal was bad” argument vs the entirety of the board, yet?

cnn is getting ready to make a call 

Samuelsson was bad enough. Then came the Power contract. 

I can only hope they wake up and get some proper coaching , in addition to a backbone. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, seer775 said:

Byram is averaging 37 games per season.

He'd be a great hockey player if he, yknow, played hockey.

But he doesn't. He's at the Doctor's office.

Our top scorer was lost to a broken 3rd pair Defensman.

Explain how that is good.

Byram is 22, he's been concussion free for 2 years now... had a lower body injury after that.

I like the gamble, he's a grade A prospect KA is buying low... and selling while Casey's stock is at an all-time high. 

I recall Casey dealing with some injury issues early on in his career as well.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

It’s not the worst deal but it leads me to believe more is in the works.

I know it’s potential but our defense could be serious in a few years if they can add some right handed players.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

I get it. But don’t like it. Casey will be a PPG player on the Avs. We better know how to develop this guy. 

Sabres development process:

1.  Rush him into the line up.  
2.  Live with his mistakes because he is young 

3.  Once he gets to prime age trade him because he said he wants to leave. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Byram is 22, he's been concussion free for 2 years now... had a lower body injury after that.

I like the gamble, he's a grade A prospect KA is buying low... and selling while Casey's stock is at an all-time high. 

They weren't concussions. And not three of them.

5 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Samuelsson was bad enough. Then came the Power contract. 

I can only hope they wake up and get some proper coaching , in addition to a backbone. 

That doesn’t come with coaching it comes inherently in the player.  The Sabres need more of them. 

• Agree 1

@seer775, I see you deleted the post I was in the midst of replying to where you claimed Mitts was in Rochester while Byram was in the hospital. But the fact remains that Byram has played just nine less NHL games than Mitts at the same stages of their careers. Perhaps you remembered that Mitts already had 114 NHL games under his belt before being sent to Rochester for 36 games 2019/2020. 

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It’s a good practice in theory. Crunching the advanced stats so you can buy low on actual production in favour of potential un-mined value can lead to good additions to the team in the vein of Eric Comrie and the like 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

@seer775, I see you deleted the post I was in the midst of replying to where you claimed Mitts was in Rochester while Byram was in the hospital. But the fact remains that Byram has played just nine less NHL games than Mitts at the same stages of their careers. Perhaps you remembered that Mitts already had 114 NHL games under his belt before being sent to Rochester for 36 games 2019/2020. 

9 less because Byram actually hasn’t been injured as much or because Casey got sent down? Actually asking 

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

What would you have traded Mitts for? A 22 year old top 4 Dman is what they got for him.

So “what even was there?” Still applies, even when just keeping the asset was an option lol good to know 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Casey was panned by every Sabres fan everywhere what a year, maybe 18 months ago.  Now we hate the Sabres for trading him for a current player who is better.  Ok. 

Not to mention, 90% of their top prospects are forwards. Benson and Savoie could be Casey’s equal by next season. They will most likely eclipse Mitts shortly thereafter.  Noah Östlund will be here as early as next season to compete for a middle 6 center role. Kulich and Rosen are coming.  

I don’t want to wait.  I’m hoping adds a couple gritty forwards that can compete for top 9 roles.  

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, seer775 said:

They weren't concussions. And not three of them.

Sidney Crosby suffered his 4th concussion in 2017. Somehow I can’t believe you would have been displeased if we had acquired him afterward. Again, this has less to do with concussion susceptibility than it does your perceived talent of the player. 

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Great. Which has 3 severe brain injuries?

“What could KA have even done? Good trade or bad, this was his only option” is the only truly putrid take. Like the trade or don’t, but if there’s one iota of, “well, what do you want, this is the best we could get”,  just…SMH

• Agree 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Sidney Crosby suffered his 4th concussion in 2017. Somehow I can’t believe you would have been displeased if we had acquired him afterward. Again, this has less to do with concussion susceptibility than it does your perceived talent of the player. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

How dare you compare bowen byram to sid. 

And sid was 28 in 2017.

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Casey was panned by every Sabres fan everywhere what a year, maybe 18 months.  Now we hate the Sabres for trading him for a current player who is better.  Ok. 

Not to mention, 90% of their top prospects are forwards. Benson and Savoie could be Casey’s equal by next season. They will most likely eclipse Mitts shortly thereafter.  Noah Östlund will be here as early as next season to compete for a middle 6 center role. Kulich and Rosen are coming.  

I don’t want to wait.  I’m hoping adds a couple gritty forwards that can compete for top 9 roles.  

You think Byram is actually better, right now? I legitimately thought you were gassing 

Savoie could be his equal by next season? I can’t make heads or tails of this. That’s an impossibility  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

9 less because Byram actually hasn’t been injured as much or because Casey got sent down? Actually asking 

Mitts being sent down and whether Byram was injured or not, while impacting their NHL availability to play games, has nothing to do with it. The simple fact is that in their first four seasons in the league to date, Casey played in only nine more games. Byram will go past that by the end of this, his fourth season. 

5 minutes ago, seer775 said:

Great. Which has 3 severe brain injuries?

So that would be a NO in wanting Crosby after his fourth in 2017. Got it.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Mitts being sent down and whether Byram was injured or not, while impacting their NHL availability to play games, has nothing to do with it. The simple fact is that in their first four seasons in the league to date, Casey played in only nine more games. Byram will go past that by the end of this, his fourth season. 

So that would be a NO in wanting Crosby after his fourth in 2017. Got it.

Had nothing to do with what? Injuries are a continuing factor. Inability to stick with the nhl is a lost variable 

If Byram was only close in games because Casey was sent down while Byram instead was hurt, yes, it doesn’t  diminish the injury concern 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

Am I missing something?  Can't believe the anger here.  Casey was this franchise whipping boy up until maybe 18 months ago.  He's playing awesome in (shocker) a contract year.  I don't know I trust giving him the money that would be necessary here.  

Our D has been brutal.  Can Byram be good enough to keep Clifton out of the top 4?

I'm actually excited to find out. We may yet grow to love this guy. Have to give him a chance. I'm sure he's not too thrilled about missing the playoffs this year.

• Like (+1) 2