Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

But they didn't even approach his agent.  ASK him and let him tell you no, don't just assume he won't be happy. 

breaking bad bullshit GIF

A contract to Casey would have blocked Byram’s path to being here 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

They need a legit top 4 RHD.   It's a must have.   I would try to move Joker in the off- season

This is absolutely not happening. This is the D add. We traded our best forward to do it. This is our guy 

• Vomit 1

57 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

His game - as it evolved - was one of the few in the Sabre forward ranks that I could see becoming really well-suited to playoff hockey.

Where the power plays dry up, could sure use a guy that produces 5 V 5. But what do I know 

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m so tired of the “well, this guy CAN play his offhand” narrative. You can’t do that with every guy lmao. We can’t be throwing away little bits of value everywhere haha, like we have *any*!at all to spare. I fail to understand why we were in a position with Casey where we need to sacrifice one iota. Biggest trade chip and we take a willing positional hit? Why??

the, “this guy CAN do it” stuff only works if that’s not your entire D core 

More like half your entire D as three of those lefties are playing their natural side on any given shift, but your point is well taken and we need a good RD, regardless. 

55 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If Mitts wasn’t in their plans and they were never going to re-sign him, it does make sense to get something for him vs. letting him walk away as a free agent for nothing. This is not a vote of support for the trade as Mitts was finally coming into his own and I prefer that we had kept him, but it’s not hard to understand the reasoning behind the move at this time. 

He was an RFA. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

More like half your entire D as three of those lefties are playing their natural side on any given shift, but your point is well taken and we need a good RD, regardless. 

Right 

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This trade sucks. We traded an experienced C/W for a reclamation project LHD... another LHD on a team with 5 of them under 24. This isn't team building unless there are massive corresponding moves. 

On the plus side, he not only beefs up our “Youngest team in the league” excuse, he likely aids in Kevyn’s, “we had a lot of injuries” excuse going forward, too 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You gotta really hope this is a weird down year for Byram. But again, why do we have 5 LHD under 24? I hate that they signed Samuelsson as long as they did now, what a waste. 

Have I definitively won the “Samuelsson’s deal was bad” argument vs the entirety of the board, yet?

cnn is getting ready to make a call 

• Haha (+1) 1

Byram is a hell of a skater. Maybe he is Power’s long term partner. If that happens then the trade was well worth it.

Its what other moves they make that matter now.

im not sold on Cozens at centre. I think he is a high end winger. I think Savoie or Kulich or Celebrini😜 get the shot to fill that role next year. I think Kulich is a winger too.

Like a few others have said I don’t hate or love the deal. Let’s see what other moves happen and how Byram fits with Power or Dahlin.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, seer775 said:

Byram is averaging 37 games per season.

He'd be a great hockey player if he, yknow, played hockey.

But he doesn't. He's at the Doctor's office.

Our top scorer was lost to a broken 3rd pair Defensman.

Explain how that is good.

He's played 55 games in his age 22 season.  And even with his injuries - he has already scored more points than mittelstadt did through his age 22 season... as a puck-moving defenseman.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Byram is so young, but 2 years ago he played great in the playoffs for Colorado. So, without concussions, he could be one of those good-to-very-good D-men at an accelerated age.  He has those worrying concussions, but when you watched his entire playoff run 2 years ago, he looked like he could be a star on the back end.

Pluse he's a player. An actual Player who had at least one great playoff run individually, he's not another 'draft pick' that we can look forward to in a few years. He's a guy that has injury issues, but has had some great games as a young guy that we get to see play now.

Plus Mitts, is he better than Cozens or Tage?  To me, when everyone is healthy, I think ultimately he is the 3rd center on this team, which means he isn't going to be a guy that gets 1st line Power play time for the rest of his career. I guess Mitts "may" deserver $6-$7m per year, but I don't want to give that to a 3rd guy who is likely to get closer to 3rd line minutes. 

It also seems like there are a LOT of posters here criticizing the Sabres for thinking Cozens and Tage were better than they were, making the case they simply had 'career' years.....can't the same thinking be applied to Mitts this year? Difference is, Tage's 'career' year was almost 50 goals. Cozens was 30+ goals when he was 22. Mitts current season 'could' be a career year when he is on a 20 goal pace already at his age 25 season.

As for the D-group....Maybe Dahlin wears down with his heavy minutes. Power too. Samuelsson is injured all the time.  Maybe, MAYBE bringing in another young, highly regarded guy...you can reduce the minutes of everyone (spreading them out among the whole group) and make them all better/less likely to be injured.

I'm trying to look at this in a positive way.  The negative thinking (I got negative in a BIG way with Cozens earlier this season) and the negativity of this board finally got to me about 2 weeks ago and I'm choosing to look at the positive side of things.

I mean...  Mittelstadt has never scored even 16 goals in a season, Cozens and tage have both put up 30+.  Been a rough year with injuries, shooting % down, and just a lack of an identity.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, seer775 said:

If injuries are mentioned even once as an excuse during the end of year conference.. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, seer775 said:

Byram has played just nine games less than Mitts did after his first four season and was a 2nd pair D man on one of the top teams in the league. “Broken 3rd pair defenseman” is simply not an accurate description. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Be ready for some serious disappointment.....

If he’s healthy I don’t think people will end up disappointed with Bryam. It’s just not the best use of assets imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

He's played 55 games in his age 22 season.  And even with his injuries - he has already scored more points than mittelstadt did through his age 22 season... as a puck-moving defenseman.  

We do not need another Puck moving defenseman. We need a defensive defenseman that can hit,  be hard to play against without breaking. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, seer775 said:

typical bad team move. Avs happy they dumped his salary and get a productive player back. No wonder the Sabres stay irrelevant

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well, I'm not surprised. Say that off the top. 

The Cozens/Tage contracts made Mitts unsignable since he's outplayed them and thus likely wanted that kind of money and they weren't going to do it, period. I personally would have explored trading Thompson first, but one of the three was definitely out of the mix so Adams went with the unsigned guy and that's that. 

Now, Byram. He's a pretty good puck moving guy who plays under the shadow of Makar so MAYBE he hasn't been able to show his full potential. Having said that though, he'll be in the same spot with Dahlin here. The injury history is troubling and although 6'1" is adequate, he's only 190 lbs at age 22 and that imo is too light to be a solid D man. That's Cliffy's weight and Cliffy's short. imo you want your D 200 lbs. plus. This, imo, is not the player we need. 

Having said that, he's better than Jokiharju and he does upgrade our D so with little in the prospect D pool I can't fault this move entirely. It's a risk, but it does give us a better D than we had. 

What I really suspect however, is that this is just kicking the can down the road in terms of free agents. Byram will be an RFA after next season so (assuming he performs well) we will be in the exact same point again as it'll be Power, Dahlin and Byram and how much can top 3 D make just like Cozens, Thompson, Mitts and how much money do top 3 centers make. Strong possibility we will be deadline dealing Byram next year. 

So,

1) did KA have any choice? Probably not. One of the 3 had to go.

2) is our D better? Yes. Slightly.

3) is our team better? No. We now definitely need a 3C in free agency or by another trade. 

But at least he did something. 

It is ABSURD to say KA didn’t have a choice. Absurd. By the prism of his own strategies? Sure: but those strategies are in and of themselves a choice. He was an *RFA*. If we had interest in prioritizing RESULTS next year, the decision was clear

even our hockey trades aren’t hockey trades, they are a willing shift towards prioritizing the future. Again. Never about the now: we just refuse. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Mitts has been disappointing, until now. Now he's crucial. 

$7M AAV is reasonable. The cap will go up. North of that, sure. Deal him. 

Byram has had too many serious injuries in my opinion. We should've netted a second at the minimum for that trade. 

TBH, I had wanted Byram for a long time. But his last concussion started to change *my* mind.  And TBH, in another thread this morning, I was complaining that the Sabres brass felt forced to play Dahlin 30 minutes a night.  I'll cross my fingers and hope that Byram stays healthy enough.  This could be a good trade.

Here is the best news of all.  He is likely only going to be here for a year and will likely be traded at next year's deadline or after next season.  He has one year left on his deal at 3.8 and then he is an RFA.  Given the Pegula internal cap and the money invested in Samuelsson, Dahlin, and Power, we won't be able to re-sign Byram if he has a good season.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

7 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Plus I'm reading a ton of Avs fans talking about how he was their best dman during their cup run two years ago.  He's had injuries to be sure.  There's also enough there that it wouldn't shock me he plays well for us next season.  This isn't a draft pick lottery ticket we won't see for 5 years.  This is a 22 year old young man who comes with a high pedigree and alteast demonstrated in the past he can play big minutes in the NHL when the stakes are at their highest. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

We do not need another Puck moving defenseman. We need a defensive defenseman that can hit,  be hard to play against without breaking. 

The team is bad! They NEED to a shake-up across most of the roster.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Byram has played just nine games less than Mitts did after his first four season and was a 2nd pair D man on one of the top teams in the league. “Broken 3rd pair defenseman” is simply not an accurate description. 

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Plus I'm reading a ton of Avs fans talking about how he was their best dman during their cup run two years ago.  He's had injuries to be sure.  There's also enough there that it wouldn't shock me he plays well for us next season.  This isn't a draft pick lottery ticket we won't see for 5 years.  This is a 22 year old young man who comes with a high pedigree and alteast demonstrated in the past he can play big minutes in the NHL when the stakes are at their highest. 

To quote Byram:

“I don’t know how many concussions I’ve had now. Three or whatever."

Or whatever. The kid is 22.

He gets another one, which is common in the sport of hockey, he's most likely going to hang up the skates for good.

And wouldn't you want him to?

• Like (+1) 1