GDT/ Buffalo Sabres @ Florida Panthers Tues Feb27th 7pm ESPN+ and WGR Radio

Shoot da Puck

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

Because on bad teams there’s countless reasons in-house to that take precedence over outsize factors. Why did our HC force us to kill a 5-3? Why was our top FA acquisition glued to the bench? Why is there still little pushback?

Clean up your own issues and officiating is much less an issue. Good teams win in spite of officiating. Bad teams roll over and blame the stripes.  

I do feel like young players get targeted by officiating more: but everyone knows that. It’s a consequence you have to plan for if that’s your chosen strategy. Ignoring it doesn’t do any good

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I do feel like young players get targeted by officiating more: but everyone knows that. It’s a consequence you have to plan for if that’s your chosen strategy. Ignoring it doesn’t do any good

Benson seems to have a weird thing about him that’s causing a bunch of bogus calls.

I still believe this team has dearly missed a “cagey” vet who can teach these kids the who, what, where, and when to act and get away with it. Seems like any instance of tomfoolery by Buffalo gets called. To me that’s mostly on the players to be better about. I wouldn’t discourage it, they’ve just gotta be smarter. 

Two slightly different issues that could both be resolved by our front office. 

49 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The Red Wings are doing what the Texas Rangers did in baseball:  Big youth movement but added key vets.  Result:  World Series Championship.  (Over the winter they reassembled their pitching staff but left their position players largely intact; their vet middle infielders are great, growth will come from exceptional, mature rookies busting into the lineup:  Evan Carter late last season and Wyatt Langford this season.)

Jays seem to be following the Sabres model, unfortunately

so much talk about coaching. Sure. 

the roster needs help. in lots of areas. We are 25th. There isn’t one quick fix. We are way behind now 

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

Benson seems to have a weird thing about him that’s causing a bunch of bogus calls.

I still believe this team has dearly missed a “cagey” vet who can teach these kids the who, what, where, and when to act and get away with it. Seems like any instance of tomfoolery by Buffalo gets called. To me that’s mostly on the players to be better about. I wouldn’t discourage it, they’ve just gotta be smarter. 

The weird thing is that he’s 18 and officials in this league have a hard on for “learnin’” young guys 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Go on...

Dumb fans do. It's amazing. It's the same refrain after every loss. I guess the league has to stop the unstoppable force that is the Buffalo Sabres somehow.

That's your opinion.

More arrogant pricks, period. Someone to tell Cozens to stop eat Fruity Pebbles straight out of the box.

Did you see Matt's interview last night? 

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yes, it is a consequence you have to plan for.  Can you imagine if the NFL targeted young players?   That NHL does so many dumb things to the game.  

I do not think we lost because of the refs, but I feel the officiating has been shaky for two games. 

We got lucky on the hand pass against Carolina, only to have to pay for it the rest of the game with penalties and non calls going the other way.  

Last night we got the extra 2 on the scrum started by Florida - they scored.  Then we got the late Benson trip right after they ignore that he was held, plus the Donny outburst to give the 5 on 3 - they scored again.  

I know when I watch the NHL that the officiating is going to be like the WWF, with inconsistent and unexplainable calls and non calls, and favoritism toward  the best players while the "young players" get targeted.   You have to plan for it.  

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Add Mikkola to the list.  He is a dirty player.  A very big guy that starts a lot of $hit, usually with smaller players, and then skates away. 

His trip was deliberate and dangerous and could have been a double minor.  

No wonder Tanner Jeannot recently beat the hell out of him.   

He's their next Radko Gudas. He's a LHD, but ideal for a 3rd pair and paid accordingly. The Sabres' matching move was Connor Clifton (admittedly a need at RHD).

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I’d like Brindamour too but unfortunately Terrance Pegula doesn’t like strong personalities. His gm hire is a reflection of himself as is the coach. The fact that he won’t find and hire a president to head it all up is another indication of that weakness. It all starts and ends with Terrance.

Brind'Amour will re-sign with the Canes.

An experienced hockey-minded POHO is the key. Vancouver brought in Rutherford in 2020-21 when they were floundering (after getting into the covid-playoff lottery and winning a round thanks to Demko). He's been slowly remaking the team and taking all the talent and turning it into a real roster. The last 365 days since the 2023 trade deadline and offseason have been the focal point, but it's been ongoing since he took over. Darth Pegulas (edit: the Wise) will not be following the same path. He prefers the Cap Side of the Force, not the Cup Side.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Philly is a team rallying around their coach, proving that the sum of the parts is worth more than the induvial.  Probably not sustainable as this roster sits, a few key guys have a bad year and/or they get tired of Torts, and they will fall back to the bottom.  

Detroit is real.  They added a several key vets over the course of the last 2 seasons to their young talent and they are on their way.   They did what Buffalo won't do, and they will most likely actively tweak their roster again this off season.   Their young players are getting a helpful environment to grow up in.  

Torts is a very good coach. Sadly, his hockey isn't fun to watch unless he's got a great roster that can make it fun. But you've got to balance that with the fun of winning.

Detroit didn't get anywhere last season (Copp, etc.), but a second season of filling their notable gaps with playoff-savvy vets (Compher, etc.) and it's starting to come together. As a single-year attempt it backfired. Layered, it's worked.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

More arrogant pricks, period. Someone to tell Cozens to stop eat Fruity Pebbles straight out of the box.

It's EEE! Cut out the middle-bowl and all its associated costs while still getting your Pebbles.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

No.

Isn't anybody else chuckling over Don's theatrics? Why now? Why oh why?

Yes, I chuckled about the timing of it.   Following in Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid tradition, he should have got a warning first.  If he did, and he still kept going then he got what he deserved.  It was a stupid thing to do given the score and the time left.  

He should have done that long ago but not in a one goal game.  

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, I chuckled about the timing of it.   Following in Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid tradition, he should have got a warning first.  If he did, and he still kept going then he got what he deserved.  It was a stupid thing to do given the score and the time left.  

If he were consistently chirpier and getting on the refs, they'd have shrugged it off. Since it was his first vociferous outburst in forever, they took notice. (Torts, Ruff, etc. it wouldn't have been a penalty).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Also maybe I don't know who Matt is.

Mathew Tkachuk. He was interviewed after the game.   He has a brother Brady, that plays for Ottawa and now wants out, 3 years into a 7 year $8.2M/yr deal.  

Matt was asked about winning the closes game he said he never thought they would give up the game tying goal, that the thought never entered his mind.  

The announcing crew extolled his virtues as a great hockey leader and a great interviewer for those words of wisdom.  

14 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

He's their next Radko Gudas. He's a LHD, but ideal for a 3rd pair and paid accordingly. The Sabres' matching move was Connor Clifton (admittedly a need at RHD).

An experienced hockey-minded POHO is the key. Vancouver brought in Rutherford in 2020-21 when they were floundering (after getting into the covid-playoff lottery and winning a round thanks to Demko). He's been slowly remaking the team and taking all the talent and turning it into a real roster. The last 365 days since the 2023 trade deadline and offseason have been the focal point, but it's been ongoing since he took over. Darth Pegulas (edit: the Wise) will not be following the same path. He prefers the Cap Side of the Force, not the Cup Side.

Torts is a very good coach. Sadly, his hockey isn't fun to watch unless he's got a great roster that can make it fun. But you've got to balance that with the fun of winning.

Detroit didn't get anywhere last season (Copp, etc.), but a second season of filling their notable gaps with playoff-savvy vets (Compher, etc.) and it's starting to come together. As a single-year attempt it backfired. Layered, it's worked.

It's EEE! Cut out the middle-bowl and all its associated costs while still getting your Pebbles.

Nothing backfired.  The Detroit team did not get anywhere last year but not because of adding vets, they struggled because the young guys are still learning - just like Buffalo did this season.  The process of adding players is never a one year thing but you look at their roster and they added a few good vet players on reasonable contracts for reasonable durations. 

14 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Well lets hope NJ fires ruff and we pick him up 😛

If we pick him up it should be to work in the FO and help Adams put the roster together and to help Adams find a coach.  

Not sure he would work for Pegula?  

Was Donnie’s on camera outburst before, during or after the bench penalty.   I didn’t see what was going on when it was called.  

And I did see MT’s post game interview.  He was poised and very well spoken.  Many of the items he discussed that make Fla so good are what we are lacking (team mix of youth and experience).  Telling that he said the Sabres were playing chippy - good for us.    Their strength was the difference.   Much quicker to the puck and winning board battles.  They owned the neutral zone.  

28 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, it is a consequence you have to plan for.  Can you imagine if the NFL targeted young players?   That NHL does so many dumb things to the game.  

I do not think we lost because of the refs, but I feel the officiating has been shaky for two games. 

We got lucky on the hand pass against Carolina, only to have to pay for it the rest of the game with penalties and non calls going the other way.  

Last night we got the extra 2 on the scrum started by Florida - they scored.  Then we got the late Benson trip right after they ignore that he was held, plus the Donny outburst to give the 5 on 3 - they scored again.  

I know when I watch the NHL that the officiating is going to be like the WWF, with inconsistent and unexplainable calls and non calls, and favoritism toward  the best players while the "young players" get targeted.   You have to plan for it.  

It’s wwe and you know it 

Ya, the NHL is a super dumb league, there’s no arguing it. It has the worst officiating among the 4 major American sports as it’s the only one where you get an entirely different sort of (bad) rules once the playoffs start. I mean you functionally need to build two teams..and as we know, building one can be a doozy 

28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No.

Duff cackled about it 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

When I go camping I eat cereal out of a small box, where you poor the milk right in 

21 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He should have done it on 2 of the first 3 BS calls in that game. He's an idiot and has no feel for the game. He waits until the most crucial part of a massive game and then explodes on a call that was obvious. If you cannot tell, I can't stand the look of that guy on the bench for 1 second longer...

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

He should have done it on 2 of the first 3 BS calls in that game. He's an idiot and has no feel for the game. He waits until the most crucial part of a massive game and then explodes on a call that was obvious. If you cannot tell, I can't stand the look of that guy on the bench for 1 second longer...

That was not a massive game.  Season has been over for months. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, inkman said:

Thank you.  Tired of reading he’s going to be the next Sabres coach by Rod the bod fanbois.  

What makes a great pipe dream?  Brind'Amour coming to Buffalo. 

1.  Adams knows him.

2.  His contract expires this off season.

3.  Buffalo needs a better hockey coach. 

4.  Terry Pegula is a multi-billionaire that said the reason for this team's existence is to win Cups, and he said he would drill another well if he needed more  money to do it.  

9 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

Was Donnie’s on camera outburst before, during or after the bench penalty.   I didn’t see what was going on when it was called.  

And I did see MT’s post game interview.  He was poised and very well spoken.  Many of the items he discussed that make Fla so good are what we are lacking (team mix of youth and experience).  Telling that he said the Sabres were playing chippy - good for us.    Their strength was the difference.   Much quicker to the puck and winning board battles.  They owned the neutral zone.  

He was asked about what their coach recently said, that they are easy to coach because of the internal leadership.  He had to dispute that a little bit, but also added that their roster is filled with leaders and hungry players.  

59 minutes ago, #freejame said:

If I were Kevyn I'd take video of all these iffy calls and send them to the league's officiating office and ask for explanations as to why those are penalties. For instance there's the double minor yesterday when all Benson did was skate faster than the other guy before he got hauled down.  Don't protest, don't whine, just ask for simple explanations of the violations... you know, to help educate the players.

I think the league would realize how badly they're missing things and send a few emails to certain referees.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If I were Kevyn I'd take video of all these iffy calls and send them to the league's officiating office and ask for explanations as to why those are penalties. For instance there's the double minor yesterday when all Benson did was skate faster than the other guy before he got hauled down.  Don't protest, don't whine, just ask for simple explanations of the violations... you know, to help educate the players.

I think the league would realize how badly they're missing things and send a few emails to certain referees.

There's no evidence that this doesn't get done right?  I just think they wouldn't talk about it either as the officiating union and the league would not want to add fuel to the fire.  In the past I am sure a GM or coach has alluded to the fact that they discuss these things with the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

After the unsportsmanlike they called against the bench I didn't dare watch his post-game.  I figured it would be too cringe.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.