Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I heard one football talking guy say that one of Mitchell's red flags is that he takes plays off, shows limited interest in blocking.

If true, that sounds disqualifying for the Bills.

Sounds like George Pickens you don't want that

I should edit to say that - more than showing limited interest in blocking - the larger criticism is that he tends to loaf off if he knows the play's not going towards him.

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Sounds like George Pickens you don't want that

If the player were more level headed than Pickens, I'd take a prospect that matches Pickens' skills in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I should edit to say that - more than showing limited interest in blocking - the larger criticism is that he tends to loaf off if he knows the play's not going towards him.

If the player were more level headed than Pickens, I'd take a prospect that matches Pickens' skills in a heartbeat.

Anyone would take George Pickens if he actually didn't care about one person and only one person only himself.

That's probably why they couldn't trade him no one wanted him

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I haven't been following closely enough, I guess.

You have an NFL draft guy?!

I have a friend who's big into college football, in that he loves watching and dissecting it. He does a full 3 round mock every year. Last year he got 27 of 32 first round picks and 16 of the 27 went to the team he thought, so is pretty good in the first especially. He spends a lot of time reviewing guys but SEC guys and Georgia guys in particular I feel real good about his opinions on. Considering he lives under 5 miles away from Sanford stadium and all. 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I heard one football talking guy say that one of Mitchell's red flags is that he takes plays off, shows limited interest in blocking.

If true, that sounds disqualifying for the Bills.

Yes, he talked about it at the combine. Running routes at 70% so he can stay out the full drive. Certainly a red flag and one I'd drive deep into. Note that thinking the Bills will take him isn't an endorsement of them taking him. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Note that thinking the Bills will take him isn't an endorsement of them taking him. 

Thanks. I'm not sure why there'd be thinking that the Bills would take a guy who reputedly takes plays off. Like I said, that strikes me as disqualifying for what Beane/McDermott have always preached as the kind of players they covet: Quality character, high-motor guys who "play the game the right way." OTOH, the physical package here could be too enticing for them to pass on; they might just rationalize that they can "bring the guy around to their way of approaching the game" (or some such) or otherwise convince themselves that those criticisms were overblown, etc.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Thanks. I'm not sure why there'd be thinking that the Bills would take a guy who reputedly takes plays off. Like I said, that strikes me as disqualifying for what Beane/McDermott have always preached as the kind of players they covet: Quality character, high-motor guys who "play the game the right way." OTOH, the physical package here could be too enticing for them to pass on; they might just rationalize that they can "bring the guy around to their way of approaching the game" (or some such) or otherwise convince themselves that those criticisms were overblown, etc.

The day that happens is the day “trust the process “ jumps the shark.

Edited by Weave

Remember that we are entering the homestretch where purposeful lies and false character assassinations are being shelled out in buckets. The 'insiders' and 'experts' are tools of the organizations.

BTW, have you heard that Malik Nabors has a coke problem and beat the the children of his handicapped neighbor? (Drop baby, drop).  

32 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Mitchell, as far as I know, doesn't have any character flaws. He transferred to Texas so he could be closer to his infant daughter. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Remember that we are entering the homestretch where purposeful lies and false character assassinations are being shelled out in buckets. The 'insiders' and 'experts' are tools of the organizations.

BTW, have you heard that Malik Nabors has a coke problem and beat the the children of his handicapped neighbor? (Drop baby, drop).  

Yep. Like Buddy used to say, we’re all tryin’ to rob the same train. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd draft McConkey if the Bills stay at 28 personally. 

I like the sounds of that.

I've read a few takes of "He's not a fit. Basically a higher-end version of Shakir. The Bills need a true 'X.'" 

I dunno. I'd rather bring in McConkey as a seemingly sure-fire very good NFL player instead of taking a risk on a big bodied prototypical X who may or may not work out.

Also, has no one discussed how good it would be to get a McConkey on the Bills? It could help exorcise the demons of Super Bowls past.

11685890-large.jpg

(That's Buffalo's own Phil McConkey. He of towel waving infamy with the New York Giants (where he was on a Super Bowl winning team). Until moments ago, I had it in mind that McConkey was on the Giants when they beat the Bills in Super Bowl XXV. No so, it turns out.)

I realize there is a whole different vibe around the Bills fan perception of Pegula and the Sabres fan perception.

But I wonder how much the Diggs trade has in common with the O'Reilly trade?

Did the owner feel disrespected by the star and decided he no longer wanted him in the organization?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I realize there is a whole different vibe around the Bills fan perception of Pegula and the Sabres fan perception.

Did the owner feel disrespected by the star and decided he no longer wanted him in the organization?

No. Beane has a no interference clause and that has been reported on a bunch. Beane saw the decline in Diggs production and the grating way he was treating not only other teammates but Josh Allen, the most important guy on the team. They decided they needed to move on and get younger and faster. It made sense to do that now in a year with dead cap so by 2025 they are back up and running at full speed with an eye on winning a bunch in 2026 for the new stadium. 

Buffalo stopped feeding Diggs the ball around week 10, they were moving on. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No. Beane has a no interference clause and that has been reported on a bunch. Beane saw the decline in Diggs production and the grating way he was treating not only other teammates but Josh Allen, the most important guy on the team. They decided they needed to move on and get younger and faster. It made sense to do that now in a year with dead cap so by 2025 they are back up and running at full speed with an eye on winning a bunch in 2026 for the new stadium. 

Buffalo stopped feeding Diggs the ball around week 10, they were moving on. 

Joe Brady was a big part of that after he became OC. I fell Brady was no fan of Diggs after being on the sideline with him for a couple seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Ehhhh I’m probably the only Sabres first guy in my group, but Terry seems to be wearing pretty thin on them as well, especially with the PSLs. 

No comment on the actual questions. 

The sheer amount of quality WR's in this draft is good for the Bills.  I have little worry about finding 1 or 2 in the draft. 

IMO, they already have a #1 Receiver on the team who they drafted in the 1st round last year..,. Kincaid. The winning streak started when Brady prioritized Kincaid, Shakir, Knox and Cook over Diggs and Davis. Now Samuel is here and more to come draft weekend. Is Allen still our QB ?  Yes.. then I'm OK. 

They also need other positional players, to the shock of casual fans obsessed with WR.  Safety, Pass Rush and general depth. 10 picks. 8 on Day 3.  I'm sure Beane will move around some as always and I never predict with any certainty what he will do. He watches the draft run it's course  My baseless guess is he sits at #28 and may even trade down into round 2 for extra picks. (lacking a 3rd round pick after the wise CB Douglas trade )

Again, just me guessing... much like the local/national media and their fake/made up sources. 

Have enjoyed ESPN's draft show First Draft with Field Yates and Mel Kiper. They have shown a ton of player film the last couple months. Very well produced. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

The sheer amount of quality WR's in this draft is good for the Bills.  I have little worry about finding 1 or 2 in the draft. 

I heard someone on WGR relating the tiering of WR prospects in this draft -- that there's some outsized number of WR's in the consensus top-100 -- way more than normal. And that made me wonder, for the first time, whether Beane might consider moving back from the 28th pick if it meant getting another top-100 pick. That way, he could take 2 WR prospects in Rounds 2 and/or 3.

I still think the better gamble is to move up and grab someone whom you really, really like. Otoh, you better damn well be right if you do that. (Which is why I sort of liked the idea of spreading risk across 2 less-heralded WR prospects.)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I heard someone on WGR relating the tiering of WR prospects in this draft -- that there's some outsized number of WR's in the consensus top-100 -- way more than normal. And that made me wonder, for the first time, whether Beane might consider moving back from the 28th pick if it meant getting another top-100 pick. That way, he could take 2 WR prospects in Rounds 2 and/or 3.

I still think the better gamble is to move up and grab someone whom you really, really like. Otoh, you better damn well be right if you do that. (Which is why I sort of liked the idea of spreading risk across 2 less-heralded WR prospects.)

You and many others make good points. There are 3 at the top ( Harrison, Nabers, Odunze ) that will go in the top 10, according to projections. Yet my Ourlads draft guide has an insane amount of other WR's ranked as 1st-2nd round talents. That's why it's hard for me to feel like the Bills will miss out on a good WR.  Washington had Odunze and 2 other top WR's in Polk and McMillan. LSU had a 2nd top WR in Thomas. Texas had Mitchell and Worthy. Many more listed high with real ability, not imagined. Background checks will determine a lot with who Beane likes. Culture and roster fit. 

I just believe you make big moves up for a QB and some positional player that is rare, like Houston last year getting Will Anderson. Never say never but moving way up to get one of those supposed Big 3 seems like you're tossing away the next couple drafts for 1 guy. Bills have a lot of needs and a very tight cap this year. With Diggs off the books for 2025 and the first chance after 2024 to possibly cut Miller opens up 34 Mil in cap space for 2025. So taking your cap lumps this year wasn't the worst idea with the Diggs trade. He's a 1 year rental for Houston and that fetched us another 2nd rounder. Then Beane can really make moves next year.  That doesn't mean the Bills are suffering this year. Not with Allen and the weapons Brady has on O this year. Not buying the created panic. That's media driven. Fans just regurgitate what they read. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd draft McConkey if the Bills stay at 28 personally. 

Yep and I take a bigger/fast receiver later on, even maybe as early as mid 40s with a trade up.  Josh isn't an anticipation thrower (doesn't have to be) and Ladd separates better than anybody in the draft.  Seems like a perfect fit to me. 

28 Ladd

60 Legette, Franklin, Polk, Fla St guy, if any of them fall (or with a trade up); otherwise Walker, Baker would fit nicely

The odds on draft weekend is still WR day 1...but I'm guessing it may be shrinking if the draft doesn't fall their way. 

Beane spoke today and said he doesn't see it as necessarily needing a WR 1.  

Bills did have McMillian of Washington here today in OP. As I posted above, Washington has 3 pro receivers...Odunze, Polk and McMillian.  They are all good with different skill sets. Odunze is amazing and you don't ever ignore your primary. 

https://uwhuskieswire.usatoday.com/lists/washington-football-jalen-mcmillan-jamarcus-shephard-kansas-city-chiefs-dallas-cowboys-san-francisco-49ers-nfl-draft/

• Like (+1) 1