Buffalo Bills 2024 Thread

That Aud Smell

16 minutes ago, Night Train said:

I thought Bates was replacing Morse at C. 

There was media chatter to that effect.

Maybe they’re going to restructure and extend Morse?

Sal Capaccio also Tweeted that Anderson (?) is a player who can essentially replace Bates as a utility lineman.

36 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It saves 2.4 million in dead cap if released for next season. 4.5 million overall. So some more wiggle room. 

It saves only $1.4, which is essentially the cost of signing another low cost veteran. So, there will be no real cap savings. There’s gotta be more coming to help this move make more sense?

Also seems like the Bills now have too many draft picks. My bet is that Beane’s expects the need to move up. Maybe not in Rd 1 — but if you’re in Round 4 and you really want a guy? Sprinkle that 5th rounder and you can move up a few spots. Just a guess.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

It saves only $1.4

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It saves only $1.4, which is essentially the cost of signing another low cost veteran. So, there will be no real cap savings. There’s gotta be more coming to help this move make more sense?

Also seems like the Bills now have too many draft picks. My bet is that Beane’s expects the need to move up. Maybe not in Rd 1 — but if you’re in Round 4 and you really want a guy? Sprinkle that 5th rounder and you can move up a few spots. Just a guess.

This is what I get for reading TBD. To be fair, I don't get too much into the off season when it comes to Financials. I barley like doing my own. 

10 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

This is what I get for reading TBD. To be fair, I don't get too much into the off season when it comes to Financials. I barley like doing my own. 

This Bates tidbit is isolated and digestible. Once things really get moving, I lose the thread with NFL capology.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This Bates tidbit is isolated and digestible. Once things really get moving, I lose the thread with NFL capology.

I can understand the nhl cap... As for the Bills, I have no clue what's in store for the team. I think Beane will come up with something cool that we aren't expecting. 

I do expect a trade down in the 1st round, then many trade ups after. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bears were the team that gave Bates an offer sheet that the Bills matched. Insurance at the time. Bears obviously still wanted him and the Bills are now in a different place. 

Yes, Anderson has been taking C snaps in practice. Morse, along with J. Phillips, Hyde and others were some of the players I believe were considering retirement. I'll still wait to see more expected moves over the next few weeks before viewing the roster. Speculation now is just guessing. Media knows nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I believe they moved Bates at his request. Taking care of the good soldiers goes a long way. 

Possibly. They certainly didn't accommodate him last year when they matched the Bears' signing sheet for him (or whatever it's called).

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Possibly. They certainly didn't accommodate him last year when they matched the Bears' signing sheet for him (or whatever it's called).

I believe it was two years ago but things change and in the same way players understand it’s a business, they also appreciate when it’s possible to do right as well.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I watched the gym short olympics (Combine) last week. WR is crazy deep. Also need DL and Secondary. Lots of depth. Deep draft. 

All have highlight film on Youtube . It's crazy how fast and athletic these guys are compared to players 20-30 years ago.  Cyborgs. 

Crazy Eyes Fight GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

Edited by Night Train
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Inevitable Poyer got released. 

Yep. $5.7M saved in cap space.

Credit to him - he played every game last season. The guy was heart and soul. He'll be missed.

Some coaches get a reputation for developing "system quarterbacks." McDermott seems capable of developing system safeties and maybe even system linebackers (I think about how Bernard and Dodson came in this year and were effective). He'll need to work some magic next season - that's for sure.