GDT LA Kings at Buffalo Sabres Tues 7pm MSG/ ESPN+

Shoot da Puck

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

No, you just aren’t grasping the obvious 

Was Adams’ job to provide good goaltending for this season? Or was Adams’ job to, at some point, roster a good goalie this season?

It’s an 82 game season, the goal was to provide the roster with good GT for our season. The goaltending was *below average*, statistically, for the first half of the season. Two goalies that don’t belong in the NHL have played *half* the games.

Why would this deserve credit? Did he handle the position WELL? Do you think the 3 headed goalie monster worked? Did it provide adequate results?

I already said: if the goaltending is good next year, Adams gets credit for good goaltending. Pretty simple 

The entire point is for UPL to develop. It took half the season for UPL to emerge but he did.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Stads said:

I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I think there is a long losing streak on the horizon. We've done this "hang around   .500 thing" all year with no real momentum ever. If we're going to fall, let's fall off hard now and blow this thing up

The Sabres, incensed by my malicious words, dispatch of the Kings in a bloodbath for all eternity. You're welcome everyone

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The entire point is for UPL to develop. It took half the season for UPL to emerge but he did.

And full credit to UPL

I can agree if those are your terms: if the “entire point” was to develop, if development was the priority for the season, yes: by way of Adams internal barometers for success, he should then get credit 

I guess that’s my main point and central to my very argument: it wasn’t supposed to be a development year. Both can be true:

- the results of goaltending overall have not been good

- but the season did produce a good goaltender (hopefully)

it’ll just come down to how you define success 

Reasonable? 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The point is to make the playoffs. Missing the playoffs so your goalie can “develop” is unacceptable at this point for the franchise. GMKA made a bad bet and he lost the season as a result.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

It’s been a long enough stretch now that I just expect a solid start from UPL.

Keep Levi in Rochester for the season.

If they want an upgrade on Comrie to spell UPL from time to time I can see that but trading for an impact goalie at this point makes no sense. UPL-Levi are good enough starting next season.

Trade for an impact Dman.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

The point is to make the playoffs. Missing the playoffs so your goalie can “develop” is unacceptable at this point for the franchise. GMKA made a bad bet and he lost the season as a result.

The transition to having expectations is a pathway to many realizations some Sabres fans would consider to be….unnatural

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

It’s been a long enough stretch now that I just expect a solid start from UPL.

Keep Levi in Rochester for the season.

If they want an upgrade on Comrie to spell UPL from time to time I can see that but trading for an impact goalie at this point makes no sense. UPL-Levi are good enough starting next season.

Trade for an impact Dman.

How confident are you Levi is ready to be a day one, playoff worthy backup goalie to the tune of 30-35 games next season? Actually asking 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The transition to having expectations is a pathway to many realizations some Sabres fans would consider to be….unnatural

How confident are you Levi is ready to be a day one, playoff worthy backup goalie to the tune of 30-35 games next season? Actually asking 

If they let him have the net in Rochester for the rest of the season to develop then I think he will be.  If not find a solid backup for one more season.

It’s time to role with UPL as the guy. I think he has earned it. He has given them a chance to win in most games. Adding an impact defender and tweaking up front should be the priorities

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Sabres singlehandidly destroying an entire organization 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Flashsabre said:

If they let him have the net in Rochester for the rest of the season to develop then I think he will be.  If not find a solid backup for one more season.

It’s time to role with UPL as the guy. I think he has earned it. He has given them a chance to win in most games. Adding an impact defender and tweaking up front should be the priorities

I agree. But I’d just add that adding that back up goalie, should it prove necessary (which we need to be sure of before the season starts) is another priority we have room for. I think the things you mentioned, *and* solidifying the net are all important. In today’s NHL almost everyone has two guys that play a lot. The 40% UPL won’t play is a HUGE chunk. Doesn’t become non-prioritizeable because the 60% is addressed 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.