2024 NHL DRAFT Talk

Spoonman

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

Isn't the Silayev thing %100 'those tools, he could be Chara'?

He's got some soft hands, can be physical, and skates pretty good. I think with his size and those tools, others see shades of Chara. I don't but I've seen that tossed out. 

My issue is the production isn't there. It wasn't there in the MHL when he had only 8pts in 41 games and this year he had 11pts in 63 khl games. I mean, Novikov produced more in the MHL and is just below that pace in the khl (he was a yr older). That to me doesn't scream top 5 pick. 

Ik he's a defender, I get that. He closes plays down in his end well and will ride you into the boards because he can. But the NHL is based on quick breakouts, getting the puck up ice and either producing offense on the rush, or using the rush to get setup and cycle. Can Silayev contribute to that and if he can, how come at lower levels there's no production? He'll be an NHL defender, but are we talking first pair, second pair, or even third pair? Do you gamble on him or just take Dickinson who's 2nd pair or better? 

39 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's got some soft hands, can be physical, and skates pretty good. I think with his size and those tools, others see shades of Chara. I don't but I've seen that tossed out. 

My issue is the production isn't there. It wasn't there in the MHL when he had only 8pts in 41 games and this year he had 11pts in 63 khl games. I mean, Novikov produced more in the MHL and is just below that pace in the khl (he was a yr older). That to me doesn't scream top 5 pick. 

Ik he's a defender, I get that. He closes plays down in his end well and will ride you into the boards because he can. But the NHL is based on quick breakouts, getting the puck up ice and either producing offense on the rush, or using the rush to get setup and cycle. Can Silayev contribute to that and if he can, how come at lower levels there's no production? He'll be an NHL defender, but are we talking first pair, second pair, or even third pair? Do you gamble on him or just take Dickinson who's 2nd pair or better? 

You’re raising red flags with me on this guy.

A top 5 draft pick should be able to score in the MHL. I know he was a year younger but that league is full of 16-20 year olds and he should have put up better numbers.

The KHL numbers are understandable as those coaches barely play U20 guys.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

You’re raising red flags with me on this guy.

A top 5 draft pick should be able to score in the MHL. I know he was a year younger but that league is full of 16-20 year olds and he should have put up better numbers.

The KHL numbers are understandable as those coaches barely play U20 guys.

Right, but part of the Chara thing is very much about the rawness and the development curve - how he was an outlier.

Chara put up 22 points in 49 games in the Dub as 20-year-old. 9 points in the NHL at 24. Silayev at 18 is way ahead of Chara.

I wasn’t making a commentary on how good he is or will be, just saying that scouts see his tools and his approach to the game as such a rare combination it could also make him an outlier to rules of thumb like production, especially when no one would be taking him to be a producer.

The big question is patience. You might have to wait until he’s 25 before his game comes together and for a top 5 pick, that’s a long wait and a tough sell to your fan base.

22 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/2024-nhl-mock-draft-post-draft-lottery-top-24

London Dman Sam Dickinson. I really like him but man that would be LHD overload.

Whoever wrote this is silly. Buffalo drafting another lhd would be hilarious. Like, wtf does this even mean? "They’ve got some good young ones in Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power, but adding a dynamic, two-way threat like Dickinson would be massive" ... Dickinson is good but if you draft him, you better be aggressively shopping Muel.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I personally like Yakemchuk over Dickinson for D. 

Not sure who the better prospect is, but Yakemchuk is a much better fit.

The more I look at mocks and rankings, I think they're going to be looking at one of Catton, Helenius or Eiserman still on the board as "a guy we never thought would be available."

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Whoever wrote this is silly. Buffalo drafting another lhd would be hilarious. Like, wtf does this even mean? "They’ve got some good young ones in Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power, but adding a dynamic, two-way threat like Dickinson would be massive" ... Dickinson is good but if you draft him, you better be aggressively shopping Muel.

Yeah it’s a “tell me you haven’t researched the Sabres organization without telling me you haven’t” type write up.

Dahlin, Power, Byram, Muel, R Johnson, Novikov. LHD isn’t a huge need.

With Yakemchuk I wonder if he’s  an all tools, no IQ type dman. Big, strong, can score. A guy like Parekth is all O where as Yakemchuk can add the additional physical aspect.

I do like Dickinson a lot though. And no one develops players better than London so if he is there at 11 I would have a hard time passing on him. As Liger mentioned it would mean moving Muel and maybe a Byram. 

If they keep the pick I think 11 is a good spot. After Celebrini no one seems to have a clue how the draft will unfold and I think 2 to 3 good choices will be there at 11.

12 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://thedraftanalyst.substack.com/p/2024-nhl-draft-final-top-32-rankings

These guys are usually pretty good. You will need to scroll down to get to the top 32 ratings but another different and interesting list.

Lindstrom at 13 and Levshunov at 14 is the lowest I’ve seen those guys. I would take either at 11.

The concerns with Lindstrom are playmaking and durability. Levshunov didn’t impress these guys with an elite skill to separate himself from the pack.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Lindstrom at 13 and Levshunov at 14 is the lowest I’ve seen those guys. I would take either at 11.

The concerns with Lindstrom are playmaking and durability. Levshunov didn’t impress these guys with an elite skill to separate himself from the pack.

After Celebrini at 1 there seems to be absolutely no consensus on where the top 15 or so guys will be taken. This will be a fascinating first round. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

After Celebrini at 1 there seems to be absolutely no consensus on where the top 15 or so guys will be taken. This will be a fascinating first round. 

Yeah, if there is that much difference of opinion, there is a good chance that “your guy” drops to where you didn’t expect him to.

The other side of the coin is true as well. A couple of guys you thought would be there get taken early.

This may be my favourite draft to watch in a while, not just from the Sabres perspective but how it all plays out in the first round.

Most of the draft boards are getting finalized soon. There are only a handful of players still active, Memorial Cup or World Championships.

I like the chatter about no consensus top ten, meaning a variety of highly rated guys could end up being available at 11.

I know BPA is usually the way to go but I can’t stop thinking of current needs, even though the pick could be 3 years away from putting on a Sabres jersey. Lindstrom, Yakemchuk, Iginla and maybe reaching with Jiricek are the guys I like.

On 5/13/2024 at 3:33 PM, LGR4GM said:

There are very few "national" writers or commentators who know a lot about the needs of individual teams.  If fairness, it is a lot of work to have a great handle on the prospects and a deep understanding of the needs of the teams that are drafting. There are a couple of non-team-specific hockey podcasts I listen too that I typically enjoy when they are talking about teams other than the Sabres.  When they do Sabres talk though it often seems superficial and not well-informed. I think this is the case here.  If Dickinson is there at 11, I don't think the Sabres will be scared off from taking him just because of their strong depth at left-shot D.  If they take him though, it won't be because then need to add a dynamic two-way D threat.