UPL's next contract

mjd1001

14 hours ago, Hank said:

I like 6K. Can't really explain why, just sounds better in my head I guess. You prefer UPL. I'm okay with that. Regardless of our personal preferences, we both know who the other is referring to. To each his own and all that. 

Hanks preferences for player names:

Mitts = 3Ts

Tage = Double oh 

Tuch = U

Skinner = Double N

Quinn = also Double N

Peterka = e squared

Benson = also double N

Levi = S2V

Dahlin = SS

Power = Double double U

Joki = JJ 

Clifton = C bag

Erik J = double o, double n

Girgs = Triple G (I almost like this one)

Okposo = Triple O

Krebs = R2E2 (ok this one is cool but still dumb as *****)

Greenway = also E squared

Cozens = another double N 

So let’s start calling them all these dumb ***** nicknames!  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, inkman said:

Mitts = 3Ts

Tage = Double oh 

Tuch = U

Skinner = Double N

Quinn = also Double N

Peterka = e squared

Benson = also double N

Levi = S2V

Dahlin = SS

Power = Double double U

Joki = JJ 

Clifton = C bag

Okposo = Triple O

Easy does it… You’re projecting… @Hank said no such thing… 

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

I don’t mind 6k or Upl for that matter but since the debate is quickly turning into a distraction I will arbitrarily break the tie and the board shall now call him forevermore yupie Uplstiltskin.

I just don't understand why we are using nicknames for players that are made up...when that player already has one....and the first time or two I saw it used on this forum I didn't even know who they were talking about.

12 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I just don't understand why we are using nicknames for players that are made up...when that player already has one....and the first time or two I saw it used on this forum I didn't even know who they were talking about.

I thought it was pretty obvious why.  Fewer characters to type out.

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

“Universally accepted”

I mean, who cares, really?

I do, and a couple people who liked my initial post do, and anyone who is responding to this (you)) do also enough to make a comment...so....yeah, there are people.

Edited by mjd1001

37 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I do, and a couple people who liked my initial post do, and anyone who is responding to this (you)) do also enough to make a comment...so....yeah, there are people.

I mean, I care enough to post that I don’t care what someone chooses to use as a nickname for UPL6K2U.  So, you got me, I guess.

I think it’s more than a little odd that someone would take exception to someone else’s choice for shorthand, assuming it’s not an offensive name.

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

I mean, I care enough to post that I don’t care what someone chooses to use as a nickname for UPL6K2U.  So, you got me, I guess.

I think it’s more than a little odd that someone would take exception to someone else’s choice for shorthand, assuming it’s not an offensive name.

Still believe that Ukka Pukka Dukka has a nice flow to it.  And it could even become 6K3A (or for our Canadian friends, 6K3eh).

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

If you truly care that some of us refer to him as 6K instead of UPL, that's a you problem. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

If you truly care that some of us refer to him as 6K instead of UPL, that's a you problem. 

It's a message board. Isn't that what opinions are for? I have every right to say that I don't like it... Just as you do to respond to my last post which obviously you just did.

If me complaining about it gets annoying enough to you, You could just block me... Just as if I get tired of hearing that made up nickname so much, I could block those people. It'll make for a lot less conversation, but oh well.

Edited by mjd1001

22 hours ago, Hank said:

I think his closest comp is Gustavsson. Before the season started I predicted 6K would have a similar breakout year that Gustavsson did when he went to Minny. I don't think 6K gets that much money though, I think if he doesn't go to arbitration KA will give him three years between 2.85-3.15M. 

This is the way. (Unless he goes on a Binnington-level run to win the Cup this season.)

And for the name, we've all got to remember order of operations. 3(K^2)

On 1/22/2024 at 5:09 PM, mjd1001 said:

UPL was drafted in the 2nd round in 2017....so..I thought I'd look up what other goalies were drafted in the year or two before him (that might be on their 2nd contract now), how successful they have been and what they got paid at a similar point in their career:

-Connor Ingram (3rd rounder, 2016).  Waiver pickup. 3 yr, $5.85m contract. (1.95 per year) 7 career wins upon signing

-Philp Gustavsson (2nd rounder, 2016). 3 yr, $11.25m contract. (3.75 per year) 32 wins upon signing

-Carter Hart (2nd round, 2016). 3 yr, $11.9m contract. (3.97 per year)  49 career wins upon signing

-MacKenzie Blackwood (2nd round, 2015). 3 yr, $8.4m contact (2.8 per year) 24 career wins upon signing

-Ilya Samsonov (late 1st round, 2015). 1yr, $3.5m contact. (3.5 per year) 79 career wins upon signing

All had some NHL experience before signing those deals. Various degrees of success...overall stats in many cases slightly better than UPL, but UPL may be playing better now (if he keeps it up) than some of them did.  Add inflation/the cap rising since those deals were signed, I think the price for UPL is going to be in the $2.5-$3m per year (possibly more depending on length) if you want him for 2-3 years.  Is he worth it? maybe, but if he keeps playing solid for the rest of the year, that just IS the going price for goalies of his age/draft status/experience.

No way you are getting him for $2m per year...$1.75m per year...as some are suggesting. That is just not the going rate.

UPL has 31 career wins now, likely to be in the 40's by the end of this year when you have to think of re-signing him.

Great work, @mjd1001… Had UPL 3-4 yrs at $2M per… Upping it to $2.5-$3M per based on your research.

On 1/23/2024 at 11:13 AM, inkman said:

Mitts = 3Ts

Tage = Double oh 

Tuch = U

Skinner = Double N

Quinn = also Double N

Peterka = e squared

Benson = also double N

Levi = S2V

Dahlin = SS

Power = Double double U

Joki = JJ 

Clifton = C bag

Okposo = Triple O

Swampie says relax, Inkzie.

Are those nicknames any better?

I am not in a rush to sign UPL. Anything long term by his agent I would pass if I am the Buffalo Sabres. Anything with a $4, $5 or $6 million a year I would pass on UPL if I am the Sabres. I am thinking a 1 year contract with a minimum raise prove it that you are a starting goalie in the NHL is where I am with UPL. I am also open to trading UPL in a package at the NHL trade deadline so the Sabres don’t even have to deal with a new contract for UPL. I am just not a believer in UPL. UPL lost me when the Sabres handed him the opportunity to be the starting goalie for the Sabres last season before the Sabres signed Devon Levi and UPL just couldn’t handle the pressure in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo