Prediction Time: Will DG be fired during the season? If so, when?

nfreeman

Will the grim reaper make his regular visit to Buffalo?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Will Don Granato be fired before the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you think Granato will be fired before the end of the season, when will it happen?

• On or before 1/1/24
    • After 1/1/24 but on or before the all-star game (2/3/24)
    • After 2/3/24 but on or before 3/4/24 -- 1 day after Jets @ Sabres (game 62) and 2 days after Vegas @ Sabres
    • After 3/4/24 but before the end of the season
    • He will not be fired before the end of the season

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Are you ready now?

No! I have not given up on the season just yet. I'm aware that the odds are against us and that the sand in the hour-glass is nearly finished. However, if this team can string some wins together right after the break, we can get back into the playoff race. I'm not cluelessly naive. I'm aware that the odds are against us. Why throw in the towel now? I'm willing to wait a little longer than the rest of the brethren here on.  

I actually thought there was a slight chance we’d see a firing today because we won yesterday: sometimes you see GM’s wanting the coach to go out with a win for whatever inconsequential reason. But we are on a west coast trip so prob was always unlikely. Maybe the all star break but I’d imagine he’s actually got the whole year, like others have said 

I just hope garbage time numbers doesn’t factor too heavily in the decision at end of the year 

Edited by Thorny

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I actually thought there was a slight chance we’d see a firing today because we won yesterday: sometimes you see GM’s wanting the coach to go out with a win for whatever inconsequential reason. But we are on a west coast trip so prob was always unlikely. Maybe the all star break but I’d imagine he’s actually got the whole year, like others have said 

I just hope garbage time numbers doesn’t factor too heavily in the decision at end of the year 

100% agree with everything here.  The hammer comes down next week or we are riding out the season with Don and the staff, unless the go into a complete tailspain and lose like 8 in a row .... how long did it take before Ralph was fired ? 17 in a row ??? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

No! I have not given up on the season just yet. I'm aware that the odds are against us and that the sand in the hour-glass is nearly finished. However, if this team can string some wins together right after the break, we can get back into the playoff race. I'm not cluelessly naive. I'm aware that the odds are against us. Why throw in the towel now? I'm willing to wait a little longer than the rest of the brethren here on.  

John is right.

https://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

Moneypuck actually gives us what I’d call surprisingly high odds of making it at 7.7% currently. That is far from a negligible possibility.

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I read today that with UPL and Levi in the net, they are playing at an 88 points pace.  So really not much worse than last year if you delete the comrie adventure in goaltending.   

It sure is tough titty when you start measuring roster moves by way of results 

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think the only factor that will truly go into it is his contract. Firing a coach before his extension even starts has to be one of the worst looks possible. I still don't think Sabres will do it.

1 minute ago, Two or less said:

I think the only factor that will truly go into it is his contract. Firing a coach before his extension even starts has to be one of the worst looks possible. I still don't think Sabres will do it.

Could be. It’s just funny cause then he’d necessarily need to start next season behind the bench, too. Which, even as someone more less neutral on Granato seems to be a very risky play 

And questionable at best considering results 

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

John is right.

Moneypuck actually gives us what I’d call surprisingly high odds of making it at 7.7% currently. That is far from a negligible possibility.

I don't take money.puck seriously. The Bills had a 5% chance of making the playoffs this year after struggling for more than half of a season. They then went on a run and qualified for the playoffs. The Sabres need to go on a run soon. I'm aware, as everyone else is, that if they don't, they won't make the playoffs. This team dug a deep hole for itself by their lackluster play. Can they dig themselves out? I think there is a chance that they can while acknowledging that the odds are against them. 

10 hours ago, Two or less said:

The extension is the bad look but I agree they won’t fired him.  That will happen after we waste next year.  

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

John is right.

The fallacy of some games being worth 3 points.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I don't take money.puck seriously. The Bills had a 5% chance of making the playoffs this year after struggling for more than half of a season. They then went on a run and qualified for the playoffs. The Sabres need to go on a run soon. I'm aware, as everyone else is, that if they don't, they won't make the playoffs. This team dug a deep hole for itself by their lackluster play. Can they dig themselves out? I think there is a chance that they can while acknowledging that the odds are against them. 

The difference is, the Bills had demonstrated the ability to go on a run.  The Sabres, not so much.

Edited by Weave

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

I would have guessed the odds to be lower than 7.7. I was happy to see that number 

Edited by Thorny

On 1/25/2024 at 9:20 PM, Thorny said:

John is right.

Already up to 8.8% today and we haven’t even dropped the puck! 

A win today may get us up above 10% or so 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.