GDT: ๐Ÿ’ Buffalo Sabres @ New Jersey Devils 27 October 2023 7:00 PM MSG

MattPie

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not sure thatโ€™s true. ย GF is down from 3.57 to 2.88. ย GA is slightly improved from 3.68 to 3.38 but our save% is actually worse and still well below league average according to hockey-reference. ย The PP is worse as well. Only the improved PK stands out as a major improvement. ย 

If these trends hold the Sabres differential this season will finish around ย -41. ย Last year their differential was only -11. ย Thatโ€™s not improvement.ย 

The defensive effort will pay off when they stop thinking about it and start executing quicker.

That will lead to the results they want, more wins and a playoff run.

A little patience is needed right now.

ย 

Some timely saves would be nice along the way.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

The defensive effort will pay off when they stop thinking about it and start executing quicker.

ย 

No part of the organization deserves patience.ย 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, shrader said:

Theyโ€™re treading water at this point. One up, one down, โ€ฆ

Things are going to break at some point, one way or the other. Thatโ€™s when weโ€™ll know what kind of team we actually have here.ย 

Treading water might be what we actually have here.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

Disagree. It's sports, we can afford to be patience

Itโ€™s been over a decadeโ€”is that not patient enough?ย 

ย 

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

And when they win the next on, theyโ€™ll be on ice for 72. Itโ€™s an awfully volatile point to be caring too much about point projections, donโ€™t you think?

No, I think a better organization has this team ready to run through a wall after the way last season ended and that was never the case. Every point matters. And the fact that our historically inept franchise in a year that they are supposed to make the playoffs is once again in last place in the conference should be 100% unacceptable.ย 

ย 

6 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Playoffs are the goal. YOU and I, the fans need to be patient while the team adjusts to a different way of playing.ย 

They'll get it going soon enough.ย 

If Don Granato canโ€™t get his team ready for hockey the fault either lies in KA supplying good enough players or DG not being a good enough coach. Like you said, playoffs are the goal. The organization should act like it.ย 

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Itโ€™s been over a decadeโ€”is that not patient enough?ย 

ย 

No, I think a better organization has this team ready to run through a wall after the way last season ended and that was never the case. Every point matters. And the fact that our historically inept franchise in a year that they are supposed to make the playoffs is once again in last place in the conference should be 100% unacceptable.ย 

ย 

If Don Granato canโ€™t get his team ready for hockey the fault either lies in KA supplying good enough players or DG not being a good enough coach. Like you said, playoffs are the goal. The organization should act like it.ย 

The season just started. You may think the writing is on the wall but I prefer to let it play out a bit so I'll agree to disagree today. ๐Ÿ˜‰ย 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

UPL wasn't the reason we lost but in a way he was. None of those goals were on him but it was clear watching live that everything went downhill when he came in. When teams have no confidence in their goalies it affects their play and here it clearly did. Playing most of the game with 5 defensemen also ended up a killer.

Second your take on getting the game to OT. They CONSTANTLY give up late goals to piss away points and if you look back at last season that was in fact what cost us the playoffs.

ย 

This aspect is causing me a meltdown already. Because it was the same thing last season. So many important games, heading into the 3rd periodโ€ฆ either they would be tied, or at some point in the 3rd become tied, and the Sabres seemingly give up the next goal so often. And then it ends with a regulation loss and no points. Weโ€™ve already seen it this year, Islanders, Calgary, Montreal and now New Jersey. ย If they get two of those games to OT and lose itโ€™s still 2 huge points. ย Oh well, I shouldnโ€™t get so worked up. it will be the exact same ending to a season 12 years running. Itโ€™s not a big surprise.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree with that. Unless something changes drastically (like a goalie trade) I don't see them making the playoffs and likely being lower than last year despite Peterka having a breakout year, which I still hold to in terms of predictions.ย 

Why a team that had Hasek and Miller would not subscribe to the age old idea that you build out from the goal idk but there it is. I guess Pegula and Co. don't pay any attention to history.ย ย 

Because the people running this thing when Miller was traded were incompetent. They were followed by more incompetence.ย 

I do not put Adams in that class, but I think he botched Ulmark and I think he was told to stay under the cap until they are โ€œgoodโ€. ย 
ย 

ย 

2 hours ago, Believer said:

Agreeโ€ฆ

Do imagine KA/DG and McBeane are safe for 2-3 more yearsโ€ฆ though Pegula is unpredictableโ€ฆ

Attendance, fan support, local and national mediaโ€ฆ the new stadium and arena upgradesโ€ฆ cap space and big payrollsโ€ฆ so many factors putting pressure on both teams to compete at the highest level for the next 5-10 years.

We are poised for successโ€ฆ Go Sabres!โ€ฆ Go Bills!

I think Pegula has scared the hockey fan base pretty deep. I think if the Sabres found themselves ย in the conference finals this year weโ€™d be surprised at how sterile and how many visiting fans filled the stands.ย 
ย 

I think it will take a couple years of real sustained success to get the cit fully on board.ย 

Itโ€™s a bit heart breaking when I think about it.ย 

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

@#freejame you do realize this plan was laid out by the head coach right?ย 

The plan this season was always to work on the defensive side which they sacrificed while a young team learned to score.ย 

Growing pains can be expected.

I thought the plan was to start winning and make the playoffs? ย 
ย 

I never heard of teaching hockey systems in separate segments over 3 or 4 years. A system is a closed loop with defense, breakouts, transition, and offense all working and learned together. ย 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, #freejame said:

No part of the organization deserves patience.ย 

This is hard place. Pegula deserves zero leeway. I totally agree. Heโ€™s the worst owner in NHL history.

But Pegula isnโ€™t Adams and Granato. At some point you have to spectate the two and evaluate who is who and who is doing what in their role.ย 

I didnโ€™t necessarily disagree with anybody last year that Adams and Granato had some flaws in their plan and could be replaced this offseason. But I also think they did well enough last year to be given another shot. I will say, that as positive as I am trying to be with the season, that the product weโ€™ve seen so far isnโ€™t enough.
ย 

Iโ€™m also waiting for the season to play out before I sharpen any pitch forks.ย 

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

ย 

I never heard if teaching hockey systems in separate segments over 3 or 4 years. A system is a closed loop with defense, breakouts, transition, and offense all working and learned together. ย 

Winning and playoffs are the stated goal.

The focus within the system is on the defensive side this year to facilitate those goals.

Donny clearly stated he wanted the boys to learn how to score goals first and that the defensive side is less fun and harder to commit to for younger players so would come later.ย 

Now is later.ย 

ย 

Edited by Norcal
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think Pegula has scared the hockey fan base pretty deep. I think if the Sabres found themselves ย in the conference finals this year weโ€™d be surprised at how sterile and how many visiting fans filled the stands.ย 
ย 

I think it will take a couple years of real sustained success to get the cit fully on board.ย 

Itโ€™s a bit heart breaking when I think about it.ย 

There was a time when most local Buffalo Bills fans were also Sabres fans and vice versa. ย You know the younger fans that call themselves Bills Mafia have never seen a competitive Sabres team. ย An entire generation not involved with the Sabres.ย 
ย 

Of course there are some fans who only really support one or the other, but they used to be a huge minority in WNY. ย  ย Kim Pegula was the first person I heard that even discussed the differences in the fan base. ย It was never a thing for 40 years. ย 
ย 

Now it is. ย The Sabres are going to stay irrelevant until they get fans back, and they wonโ€™t get fans back until the compete every night and win at home. ย They are so close right now. ย Just a goalie and a few role players away from being a good hockey team.ย 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, Norcal said:

ย 

Some timely saves would be nice along the way.

Aside from adding two D-men in the off-season, this roster and coaching staff is the same as the end of last season (with the exception of no Quinn).ย  Patience is not what the team should be expecting from its fanbase.ย  We want RESULTS now, as we've been patient enough already.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Doubtful teams are lining up to trade goaltending this early in the season so ya better buckle up with what you have.ย 

Like Elliot Friedman says, you want a life preserver but other teams throw you an anvil.

There is not much available at the moment and it would take more to pry something decent now than in the summer.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

There was a time when most local Buffalo Bills fans were also Sabres fans and vice versa. ย You know the younger fans that call themselves Bills Mafia have never seen a competitive Sabres team. ย An entire generation not involved with the Sabres.ย 
ย 

Of course there are sone fans who only really support one or the other, but they used to be a huge minority in WNY. ย  ย Kim Pegula was the first person I heard that even discussed the differences in the fan base. ย It was never a thing for 40 years. ย 
ย 

Now it is. ย The Sabres are going to stay irrelevant until they get fans back, and they wonโ€™t get fans back until the compete every night and win at home. ย They are so close right now. ย Just a goalie and a few role players away from being a good hockey team.ย 

ย 

Football is different. In the worst of Bills years, anybody can lock in for 16 (now 17) Sundays. The NFL is the Thanksgiving of sports. Sure your family sucks, but you can manage it to make your mom happy, plus beer and food.

When your team sucks for 82 games, you lose track of one, that turns into 10. You turn it back on again after 2-3 weeks, they suck, nobody is at the stadium, it wasnโ€™t fun, few gaps get bigger, and one day you realize you havenโ€™t even checked a actors in 4.5 months.ย 
ย 

ย 

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

Aside from adding two D-men in the off-season, this roster and coaching staff is the same as the end of last season (with the exception of no Quinn).ย  Patience is not what the team should be expecting from its fanbase.ย  We want RESULTS now, as we've been patient enough already.

Patience for the start is all I'm saying.ย 

Obviously we want results now, as in this season.

The season just started, no need to panic yet lol

ย 

ย 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

ย 

I never heard if teaching hockey systems in separate segments over 3 or 4 years. A system is a closed loop with defense, breakouts, transition, and offense all working and learned together. ย 

Agree.ย  I look at the NY Rangers.....entirely new coaching staff and players had to adjust.ย  So far they're 5-2, so I would say the early results is that the players and coaches were able to get in sync.ย  We have the same staff and little change in the player base, so why is it so hard for our team to implement whatever changes are being asked?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.