11 forwards and 7 defenseman lineup to start the season??

sweetlou

With the injury to Quinn and the uncertainty and confidence in Olofsson, can Adams and Granato use the depth on defense to start the year with a lineup with 11 forwards and 7 defeenseman?  This can also let the aging Johnson move around the lineup and help on the PK with out being a set fixture on a particluar line.

I also would love to see Tuch, Skinner, and Thompson get extra shifts during the beginning of the season to help other players get off to a good start.

Forwards-

Skinner, Thompson, Tuch

JJP, Cozens,  xxx

Greenway, Mitts, Jost

Girgensons, Krebs, Okposo

Defense-

Mule, Dahlin

Power, Clifton

Joker, Bush, Johnson

I think we might be headed this way tbh, good post 

We can put together 3 more/less ideal lines for what you’d ask of them, and conversely we have a mismatched, spare parts 4th and final line. They might just not use one. If Krebs is with KO and Girgs, there’s no one to even bother forming a “3rd scoring line” for.

Might as well sub a fresh Greenway and Jost into lines as they see fit and keep the 3 running 

skinner - Tage - tuch

Mittelstadt - Cozens - Peterka

Girgs - Krebs - KO

- - -

Subbing in VO onto any of those 3 probably torpedoes those lines, and how likely are Greenway and Jost of all people to be able, then, to buck that trend? Just seems pointless to ice an Olofsson - Jost - Greenway line or some such, other than to give the other 3 lines a breather 

Edited by Thorny

Just a reminder that over the 3 seasons prior to last year Jordan Greenway averaged nearly 15 minutes a night and just under a point for every 2 games played for a good Minnesota team. He was a plus player in hard defensive minutes.

The Sabres also gave up a 2nd-rounder to get him.

I am surprised by how many people continue to put him in a 4th line role.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Just a reminder that over the 3 seasons prior to last year Jordan Greenway averaged nearly 15 minutes a night and just under a point for every 2 games played for a good Minnesota team. He was a plus player in hard defensive minutes.

The Sabres also gave up a 2nd-rounder to get him.

I am surprised by how many people continue to put him in a 4th line role.

He’s a third scoring line player (which can be very useful) and we don’t have the pieces to form a third scoring line, because we didn’t (at least not yet) bother replacing Quinn, and went bargain bin hunting to fill out the 12th man role by bringing back Jost 

Can he fill in capably on line 2? Probably? Hopefully? I don’t have him losing minutes really, just shuffling around instead. If he’s mainstay on line 2, then Peterka is the marooned player with Jost and VO

Edited by Thorny

We’ve got 10 good forwards 

All that “stacked” at F stuff was somewhat overblown when we HAD Quinn, it’s simply off the mark, now 

Adams apparently retreating to “next rookie up” THAT quickly, with so much time to find a legit replacement (again, at least so far) is pretty weird and pretty disappointing, let’s be real for a moment 

We were *counting* on Quinn, and didn’t add a guy who we could even theoretically count on to an even comparable degree

its odd at best and needlessly defeatist at worst 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He’s a third scoring line player (which can be very useful) and we don’t have the pieces to form a third scoring line, because we didn’t (at least not yet) bother replacing Quinn, and went bargain bin hunting to fill out the 12th man role by bringing back Jost 

Who we paid $2 million. maybe the oddest move of the off-season to me.

i have no problem with Greenway in a middle 6 role alongside Cozens, Krebs or Mittelstadt. In fact that's where I expect him.

Just now, dudacek said:

Who we paid $2 million. maybe the oddest move of the off-season to me.

i have no problem with Greenway in a middle 6 role alongside Cozens, Krebs or Mittelstadt. In fact that's where I expect him.

Totally. Ya my comment isn’t informed by anything anti greenway. I just think we might do him dirty 

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We’ve got 10 good forwards 

All that “stacked” at F stuff was somewhat overblown when we HAD Quinn, it’s simply off the mark, now 

Adams apparently retreating to “next rookie up” THAT quickly, with so much time to find a legit replacement (again, at least so far) it’s pretty weird and pretty disappointing, let’s be real now

We were counting on Quinn didn’t add a guy who we could even theoretically count on to an even comparable degree

its odd at best and needlessly defeatist at worst 

Does a Greenway Krebs VO line getting probably the easiest matchups frighten you?

Jost can play with the vets and Mitts Cozens and Peterka could be good.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

We could have done more at F. I feel like we’ve done needlessly little. I wouldn’t say anything if not for Quinn. Actually fairly surprised we just kinda went “oh well.” A little proactiveness couldn’t have hurt, no?? Like, we don’t need to Tim Murray out, I promise lol. 

But the slow play strategy can’t even replace the guys we DID think we needed?  

There’s little imagination and on the fly adjustment

we’ll see how that bears out in the years that follow. Something interesting to keep an eye on. Everything that goes to plan is good, because the plan is good

what about speed bumps? Can we maneuver?

can we drive

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t think we should completely assume one of these rookies we have knocking at the door won’t make it.  Maybe training camp rolls around and Savoie or Kulich show they belong (or Atleast 9 game look).  That’s what I’m hoping.  

Dudacek had a good thread on projected arrivals of our prospects.  I think many are thinking Kulich Savoie and maybe even benson will be ready for the Sabres next season.  Not sure there’s room or we would want to break in 3 rookie forwards in one season (especially in another year from now with high expectations). 

Only if they prove they belong but I’m very open to one of the rookies making the team this year to help bolster a third scoring line. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Does a Greenway Krebs VO line getting probably the easiest matchups frighten you?

Jost can play with the vets and Mitts Cozens and Peterka good be good.

“Are you frightened?!”

”Yes.”

”Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you.”

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I don’t think we should completely assume one of these rookies we have knocking at the door won’t make it.  Maybe training camp rolls around and Savoie or Kulich show they belong (or Atleast 9 game look).  That’s what I’m hoping.  

Dudacek had a good thread on projected arrivals of our prospects.  I think many are thinking Kulich Savoie and maybe even benson will be ready for the Sabres next season.  Not sure there’s room or we would want to break in 3 rookie forwards in one season (especially in another year from now with high expectations). 

Only if they prove they belong but I’m very open to one of the rookies making the team this year to help bolster a third scoring line. 

Absolutely not ruling that out. If we get really lucky, one this season could even be the “new Quinn”. The issue for me is I was penciling in “Improved Quinn” this season 

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Absolutely not ruling that out. If we get really lucky, one this season could even be the “new Quinn”. The issue for me is I was penciling in “Improved Quinn” this season 

Agreed.  That Quinn injury really sucks.  

• Like (+1) 1

Some say KA was too “status quo” with the forwards this offseason. Other people say, saliently imo, the improvement will come from internally. Icing a rook for Quinn just realistically replaces a little bit of internal improvement with a little bit more status quo: and that’s if the new young un matches what Quinn committed to record which was closer to a Reinhart rookie season than anything else. No assured task

11 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Is Tatar still out there? Why isn't he a Sabre if so

It makes seizing a spot for Rousek/Savoie/Kulich more difficult? Or maybe his terms are weird since no one has grabbed him? I have no idea though 

16 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This thread is giving me a sad anew. I just don't think GM KA has done enough to bolster the forward ranks.

I don't think he had much interest in bolstering the forward ranks this offseason from the outside. His focus was on the blueline. He added Clifton and Johnson to that unit. Was it enough? I'm not sure. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Is Tatar still out there? Why isn't he a Sabre if so

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

It makes seizing a spot for Rousek/Savoie/Kulich more difficult? Or maybe his terms are weird since no one has grabbed him? I have no idea though 

Adding the softest player in the league to the softest roster in the league doesn’t make a lot of sense, IMHO.  

Lots of debate (and had wringing) on Adams and the forwards, Adams and the goalies. 

Wasn’t Adams allegedly pursuing a forward when free agency started?   I thought that was part of the rumor mill and that might have been before Quinn got hurt?  

Back to the topic:  I vote no on the 11F and 7D concept.   It reminds me of Krueger soccer-hockey, the opposite of Granato.  

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

What's the time frame for Quinn's return? Is it more likely than not that he will not be able to return to form this season? 

4 to 6 months was the estimate on return to play, so early November at best, but more likely in the new year.

Return to form is anyone's guess.

Anthony Duclair had a similar injury last year: " Duclair sustained a torn Achilles in July and didn't make his 2022-23 debut until Feb. 24." — nhl.com

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.