2023 NHL Summer Trade Thread

Brawndo

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

DeSmith’s Worse Season using the stat Goals Saved Above Expected was on par with UPL’s Best one.

But DeSmith is 32.  What is his trajectory?  I would expect it's downward and UPL is upward, which is why I think UPL will outperform DeSmith this season.

I have never really watched DeSmith, but the Sabres would certainly not be worse off adding this track record to the camp battle

Screenshot_20230816_083043_Chrome.thumb.jpg.98cb3ba916fd02b142420284981153e1.jpg

Sure maybe UPL is up for beating this out, and maybe he's still bad and will never get good

I wish the Sabres were as obsessed with forcing competition at every spot as the bills are 

• Agree 3

40 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I have never really watched DeSmith, but the Sabres would certainly not be worse off adding this track record to the camp battle

Screenshot_20230816_083043_Chrome.thumb.jpg.98cb3ba916fd02b142420284981153e1.jpg

Sure maybe UPL is up for beating this out, and maybe he's still bad and will never get good

I wish the Sabres were as obsessed with forcing competition at every spot as the bills are 

I would presume that UPL's waiver status has a lot to do with the lack of additional competition.

Effectively its Levi's job to lose and as long as UPL beats out Comrie we'll have no roster problems. Where issues arise is if Comrie plays better than UPL since we can't conceivably waive UPL without a high likelihood of losing him.

24 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I would presume that UPL's waiver status has a lot to do with the lack of additional competition.

Effectively its Levi's job to lose and as long as UPL beats out Comrie we'll have no roster problems. Where issues arise is if Comrie plays better than UPL since we can't conceivably waive UPL without a high likelihood of losing him.

The concern shouldn't be who will be exposed to the waiver wire or not. If Comrie beats out UPL for the backup role and he is lost to the waiver wire, then so be it. If UPL beats out Comrie, then he gets exposed. The Sabres are at a stage where they have the talent to seriously compete. The priority issue now is who will be the better backup and give you the best chance to win when inserted into the lineup. 

None of us knows for sure how our goalie ranking will turn out. The expectation is that Levi will be the primary goalie and the other two goalies will compete for the backup role. I doubt that the organization is going to carry three goalies as they did last year. If I had to bet I would place it UPL being the backup goalie. The bottom line is that the players competing for the backup role will determine their own fate. And that's how it should be.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The concern shouldn't be who will be exposed to the waiver wire or not. If Comrie beats out UPL for the backup role and he is lost to the waiver wire, then so be it. If UPL beats out Comrie, then he gets exposed. The Sabres are at a stage where they have the talent to seriously compete. The priority issue now is who will be the better backup and give you the best chance to win when inserted into the lineup. 

None of us knows for sure how our goalie ranking will turn out. The expectation is that Levi will be the primary goalie and the other two goalies will compete for the backup role. I doubt that the organization is going to carry three goalies as they did last year. If I had to bet I would place it UPL being the backup goalie. The bottom line is that the players competing for the backup role will determine their own fate. And that's how it should be.  

But that isn't how you manage assets well

You don't let young players walk in order to keep older players unless you are a Cup contender. If its close, I can't with good conscience just play "who cares" for that situation.

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Keeping a goalie who sucks because of his waiver status would constitute having a roster problem, so you need to add a detail about UPL being good in there (not just better than Comrie)

• Like (+1) 1

Domestic abuse. 

“According to police statements,the victim was thrown to the ground, jumped on top of, and was repeatedly punched and spat upon. Police say that DeSmith “appeared intoxicated” and that when they arrived, the victim had physical evidence of the assault on her body.” https://eu.fosters.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/06/ex-unh-goalie-agrees-to/34927787007/

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

But that isn't how you manage assets well

You don't let young players walk in order to keep older players unless you are a Cup contender. If its close, I can't with good conscience just play "who cares" for that situation.

The issue isn't "who cares" or "doesn't care" about a young player. The Sabres are at a point where they are genuinely competing for a playoff spot or more. If the organization believes that Comrie gives them a better chance to win as a backup goalie, then he should be the backup goalie. If the organization believes that UPL is the better option as a backup, then he should be the backup. The Sabres missed the playoffs by a point or two last year. The margin of error is small. Players compete for their roster spot. How else should it be done? 

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Does it really matter?

I’ll always leave a chance for Patrick Kane playing here at a vet minimum if we end up hitting an injury bug in Jan/Feb

He’s no where near the player he once was and plays little defense but it still would be kinda cool from a fan standpoint to see the hometown superstar kid play a short time for his hometown. 

But I wouldn’t go out of my way to get him to replace anyone if you get the idea

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.