Who is your “Core 5”?

Flashsabre

24 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I was curious about a couple of recent cores of successful teams.

Tampa’s run from 2018/19 to 2021/22 included 2 Cups, 3 Finals and a President’s Trophy. They had 9 guys play all four of those years. Non core guys they have kept are Killorn, Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev.

Chicago’s run of 3 Cups in 6 years had 8 guys there for the whole thing. Crawford wasn’t a factor in the first Cup while Sharp and Hjalmarsson are not really core players.

I am surprised at how much roster churn there is in 4-6 year periods.

Those two team’s cores were around 5 but some of the players not considered core were pretty darned important. Sharp was a good all round player and Hjalmarsson was an underrated shutdown D.

When the Sabres hit contender status it will be interesting to see who remains and who gets moved. I’ll have to not get too attached to players.

Can our pieces match up?

• Kucherov Kane - Thompson (Quinn?)
  • Point Toews - Cozens (Savoie?)
  • Stamkos Hossa - Tuch/Thompson (Quinn, Savoie?)
  • Cirelli Sharp - Mittelstadt (Kulich, Krebs, Savoie?)
  • Hedman Keith - Dahlin
  • Sergachev Seabrook - Power
  • McDonogh Hjallmarsson - Samuelsson
  • Vasilevskiy Crawford - Levi

it's interesting. Dahlin's the only surefire yes, for me. The others have a lot to prove — and that's a lot of players that have to roll the right way — but they aren't really out of the question, either

And of course there's the rest of the roster to worry about, but this thread is about cores.

• Like (+1) 3

Why 5? 

Anyway, this term used these days of "core" is a weird one. It implies guys you wouldn't trade I suppose but it's also the team leaders I think and not necessarily your best players but the ones you have to build around so it's a bit of a fuzzy term. 

Anyway, 

Power-Dahlin- Cozens-Thompson-Tuch. 

Samuelsson gets honourable mention and Levi might get in there after next season. Depends what happens. 

There's actually nobody else on the roster I'd consider untouchable or indispensable. Some are more valued than others, but not "core". 

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

I was curious about a couple of recent cores of successful teams.

Tampa’s run from 2018/19 to 2021/22 included 2 Cups, 3 Finals and a President’s Trophy. They had 9 guys play all four of those years. Non core guys they have kept are Killorn, Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev.

Chicago’s run of 3 Cups in 6 years had 8 guys there for the whole thing. Crawford wasn’t a factor in the first Cup while Sharp and Hjalmarsson are not really core players.

I am surprised at how much roster churn there is in 4-6 year periods.

Those two team’s cores were around 5 but some of the players not considered core were pretty darned important. Sharp was a good all round player and Hjalmarsson was an underrated shutdown D.

When the Sabres hit contender status it will be interesting to see who remains and who gets moved. I’ll have to not get too attached to players.

Not surprising at all.  Darcy was quoted as saying teams typically turnover their roster every 3 yrs.  That doesn’t mean every player turns over, it means 23 players going tthrough the door every 3 years.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Signing Samuelsson to a long contract, tells me that the Sabres view him as a part of the core. Same goes for TNT.

A contract like that indicates they are part of KA’s core. Thompson will be expected to carry a lot of the scoring load while Mule plays the Hjalmarsson like role. Dahlin and Power will be like Keith and Seabrook.

I had seen other places with different teams talking about their team’s Core 4. Because of the salary cap era the idea was who are the 4 guys you sign big contracts with to build around.

I decided to add another to make it Core 5 for this discussion. Wanted to see if everyone was basically on the same page and everyone seems to be.

Dahlin, Tage, Power, Cozens, Tuch seems to be it with Muel, Quinn, Levi as guys that could break in there.

In reality the Core can be as many guys as you can lock into long term deals.

Dahlin, Tage, Cozens, Power, Tuch, Muel, Quinn, Levi is likely the real long term Core at the moment.

Just now, Flashsabre said:

I had seen other places with different teams talking about their team’s Core 4. Because of the salary cap era the idea was who are the 4 guys you sign big contracts with to build around.

I decided to add another to make it Core 5 for this discussion. Wanted to see if everyone was basically on the same page and everyone seems to be.

Dahlin, Tage, Power, Cozens, Tuch seems to be it with Muel, Quinn, Levi as guys that could break in there.

In reality the Core can be as many guys as you can lock into long term deals.

Dahlin, Tage, Cozens, Power, Tuch, Muel, Quinn, Levi is likely the real long term Core at the moment.

The Leafs talk core 4, because half of their cap goes to 4 guys.

Hopefully the Sabres have some guy(s) in the pipeline that add to the core. Savoie, Kulich, Östlund…

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.