Who is your “Core 5”?

Flashsabre

Fun question, no wrong answers.

Who do you choose as your Sabres “Core 5”? The five players you would lock in as the 5 to keep and build around while other pieces move in and out.

I’m going to go outside the box a little:

1) Dahlin

2) Power

3) Cozens

4) Levi

5) Tuch

Tuch over Tage was a tough decision but they are close enough in age that I went with Tuch because I feel he brings just a bit more to the team overall.

Tage, Muel and Quinn are my next tier just outside the core.

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

Are you referring to the untouchable ones that you would not trade for Connor Bedard?

If you do not know who Bedard is, you should not join the…….

ahhh, nevermind.

Edited by Weave
  • Haha (+1) 3

There is no one on this team I won’t trade for Bedard one for one.  The question is how much more would I have to give to get a Bedard desl done that makes such a trade highly unlikely.  

The Sabres core 5 are Levi, Power, Dahlin, Cozens and TNT for now.  However, KA isn’t moving on from Tuch, Samuelsson or Quinn either. 

• Agree 1

Dahlin and Power absolutely for sure.

I think you have to assume centers next so Thompson and Cozens. I might be convinced to exchange Tuch for one of them.

I need to see a full season with Levi before I proclaim him a core player, but if he doesn’t establish himself as one over the next 2 seasons we might be *****.

Wonder how the players change if we ever see them on a playoff series?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I really want Levi to be a part of the core but he must earn that.

I don’t know why it has to be a hard and fast number like 5 but my 5 are:

Dahlin, Cozens, Thompson, Power and Tuch.

In reality it doesn’t and isn’t. I just wanted to see if you had to limit it to 5 if most people would be on the same page.

To me a team core is a combination of ability, locker room presence, and how bad they want to be here.  

These are the heart and soul guys who create the team culture and younger players look up to.

5 most core guys:  Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens, Tuch, Samuelsson

I'm not counting Okposo because he's not under contract.   Power, Quinn, Krebs, Peterka are still too young.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I was curious about a couple of recent cores of successful teams.

Tampa’s run from 2018/19 to 2021/22 included 2 Cups, 3 Finals and a President’s Trophy. They had 9 guys play all four of those years. Non core guys they have kept are Killorn, Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev.

Chicago’s run of 3 Cups in 6 years had 8 guys there for the whole thing. Crawford wasn’t a factor in the first Cup while Sharp and Hjalmarsson are not really core players.

I am surprised at how much roster churn there is in 4-6 year periods.

Those two team’s cores were around 5 but some of the players not considered core were pretty darned important. Sharp was a good all round player and Hjalmarsson was an underrated shutdown D.

When the Sabres hit contender status it will be interesting to see who remains and who gets moved. I’ll have to not get too attached to players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.