Sounds Like SportsNet’s Jeff Marek is a Sabres Fan

Brawndo

From the Opening of His Show on Wednesday 

”I do want to spend a couple of moments here talking about a team I really hope doesnt mess this up. Now in this capacity you're not supposed to have favorite teams, and I really dont, and somewhere along the way I stopped caring who wins and loses, this probably wouldve been in my early 20s when I was in university. You just stop caring who wins and loses and you just want to see a really good hockey game and and you cheer for stories and you cheer for people, but theres one team and it has everything to do with me growing up in southwestern Ontario, that in the back of my mind I am still as unprofessional as it may be rooting for, and thats the Buffalo Sabres"

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hockey-central/id354153569?i=1000590186465

He talks about listening to Ted Darling on WGR, going to the Aud to watch games

He also had the nugget that Terry Pegula is a huge JJ Peterka Fan.  This follows Zemgus being the favorite 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

i think me and him should be buddies 

I’m from South western Ontario and I just noticed that we were both born in 69. 

I could pick up games on the radio and remember they were on tv once and awhile.    Want to say it was on Chanel 2? Ed Kilgore maybe?  
though I still care about wins and losses … maybe too much 

oh and I’ve been a big JJ guy.  Since the world juniors.  He just has “it” 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I could pick up games on the radio and remember they were on tv once and awhile.    Want to say it was on Chanel 2? Ed Kilgore maybe?  

Yup...used to be channel 2 that carried Sabre games(at least on the weekend). Remember watching them growing up as a kid in Buffalo.

Also remember turning on CBC and watching Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday Night...loved it!

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Born in 69?  Huh?

Isn't that what mom & dad do when they don't want any special delivery packages?  Nobody's born in 69.  😉

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Marek used to watch the Sabres growing up in Southwest Ontario on WGR, He referred to Ted Darling as His Voice of the Sabres, with apologies to RJ of course 

Ah I forgot that WGR also was the call sign of the TV station back then!  I was thinking, "when did Darling do radio"?

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Ah I forgot that WGR also was the call sign of the TV station back then!  I was thinking, "when did Darling do radio"?

As mentioned above, when they were radio only, Darling did PbP.  Jeanerret only did radio when the game wasn't on TV.  

Edited by Taro T

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

As mentioned above, when they were radio only, Darling did PbP.  Jeanerret only did radio when the game wasn't on TV.  

OK this seems self-contradictory.  And memories do fail...but radio only, Darling, and radio only, RJ?

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

OK this seems self-contradictory.  And memories do fail...but radio only, Darling, and radio only, RJ?

The "wasn't" should've been "was."  Oops. 

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.