World Cup of Hockey to return

steveoath

As title. According Ian Mendes on Arhletic hockey show podcast World Cup of hockey will return in Feb 2024. Yup, during the season.  There will be a full nhl shutdown to allow players to play. 

Should autoplay from relevant section.

I cant wait,  I love international team sports. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, steveoath said:

As title. According Ian Mendes on Arhletic hockey show podcast World Cup of hockey will return in Feb 2024. Yup, during the season.  There will be a full nhl shutdown to allow players to play. 

Should autoplay from relevant section.

I cant wait,  I love international team sports. 

Why break up the regular season?  This tourney should be played in September.

Glad it is back.  It's the best international hockey tourney there is provided they aren't using weird gimmicks.

Just now, klos1963 said:

It's sports entertainment, it's supposed to make money. That's ok.

Where in the post you quoted was that contradicted?

Would rather have this tournament played in September when it won't #### with the regular season & should make the NHL & IIHF durn near the same amount of money as putting it in the middle of the year.

IMHO, when they aren't doing weird things like having Team Euro & Team Underaged Drinkers, this is the best international tourney next to soccer's World Cup.  And stated that upthread.  Absolutely love that tourney, just wish it wouldn't compress the RS and break that into 2 completely separate chunks.  So, what was your point?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Wonder if they'll have Russians back in it by then? 

Good question.

I also question the wisdom of breaking up the season.  The only reason that I can think of is that they figure more people will watch because they will already be engaged in hockey mid-season.

6 hours ago, Marvin said:

Good question.

I also question the wisdom of breaking up the season.  The only reason that I can think of is that they figure more people will watch because they will already be engaged in hockey mid-season.

I'm thinking the league looked at the time they had the break and figured out it works. I think the players love it. If you're not in the tournament you get a nice little mid season vacation. The league probably also sees it as a time for injured players to heal and then after the tournament is that more intense run towards the playoffs. They get more people interested in hockey with the tournament and can keep marketing during the break. 

and obviously, it's just more revenue. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/27/2022 at 12:46 PM, Taro T said:

Would rather have this tournament played in September when it won't #### with the regular season & should make the NHL & IIHF durn near the same amount of money as putting it in the middle of the year.

IMHO, when they aren't doing weird things like having Team Euro & Team Underaged Drinkers, this is the best international tourney next to soccer's World Cup.  And stated that upthread.  Absolutely love that tourney, just wish it wouldn't compress the RS and break that into 2 completely separate chunks.  So, what was your point?

Money grab has a negative connotation to it. Sorry if I misinterpreted your view.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 8/27/2022 at 3:46 PM, Taro T said:

100% agree.  September is the right time for this tournament…not mid-season.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.