Sabres Top 25 Prospect Rankings

Flashsabre

A) probably a good indicator of a strong system 

b) the author prob views the difference between a 28/30 as negligible. Perhaps slotting someone like Pekar above Bloom is to consciously make an effort to not “forget” about the older prospects who still, too, are developing. 

- honestly, I’d have bloom ahead of pekar, personally. But I do think we are somewhat biased to bloom in that we are hearing all the good stuff about him now because it’s in the cycle w/ him being recently drafted. There’s been a lot of “this is a good prospect” hype around bloom and it IS desevered: but imo I think it bears to remember that hype refers to a lower pick potentially bucking the trend by being simply an nhler. He’s got a reasonably good shot at a depth role down the line. I do think that’s still Pekar’s potential upside. As they say, this is a big year for him though, to show more if he’s got something more to show. 

C) I had a third point, which is why I decided to use letter designations in the first place but I have no idea what I was going to say here

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think there should be an element of “how good is he compared to his peers” in prospect ranking.

Josh Bloom was a far better D+1 OHL player than Matej Pekar was a D+4 AHL player and therefor should be higher on the Sabres list.

But everyone has their own criteria and they’re both a long way from being Sabres, so 🤷. I don’t find it too provocative, or the rationale behind it too thought-provoking.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think there should be an element of “how good is he compared to his peers” in prospect ranking.

Josh Bloom was a far better D+1 OHL player than Matej Pekar was a D+4 AHL player and therefor should be higher on the Sabres list.

But everyone has their own criteria and they’re both a long way from being Sabres, so 🤷. I don’t find it too provocative, or the rationale behind it too thought-provoking.

Yup, once you're getting outside the top 10 or so they aren't helping this year or reasonably next year either, though 3 years down the road maybe they're out of hockey or ready to step into a 2nd line role.  Got a coin to flip?

It's a fun exercise, but really not overly productive.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yup, once you're getting outside the top 10 or so they aren't helping this year or reasonably next year either, though 3 years down the road maybe they're out of hockey or ready to step into a 2nd line role.  Got a coin to flip?

̶s̶h̶a̶r̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The most provocative thing I saw in there was that the 33-overall pick in last year’s draft is only 29th best prospect on the Sabres.

Either you’re already declaring Poltapov is one of the biggest whiffs since Artem Kryukov, or you’re saying the Sabres might have two-dozen legitimate NHLers in the pipeline.

I doubt either is too likely, but enjoy the exercise. 🤷

(And that made me look up Kryukov. My god, how did they ever invest a #15 overall pick in a centre who never topped 8 goals in any season, anywhere, ever?)

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=59430

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I think thats the point.  His path to the NHL is all but closed for all practical purposes.

The list is an example of anchoring. Where you initially rank someone has a heavy weight and anchors them in that place. Some loved Pekar because he had decent ushl and ohl numbers but also because he hit things like Dahlin at prospects camp. Unfortunately you're 100% right. It's far less likely a 22yr old with 2 ahl seasons who only managed 6 pts each is going to develop into something above replacement level. It's more likely 19yr old Poltapov does because of his longer runway. 

13 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2022/8/22/23316842/2022-buffalo-sabres-top-25-under-25-on-the-cusp-30-26-matej-pekar-aaron-huglen-nhl-hockey

I’m intrigued to see this list when they have Nadeau, Poltapov and Bloom all outside the top 25 and all ranked lower then Pekar.😳

I think it's a worthwhile exercise even if I don't agree with the list. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The list is an example of anchoring. Where you initially rank someone has a heavy weight and anchors them in that place. Some loved Pekar because he had decent ushl and ohl numbers but also because he hit things like Dahlin at prospects camp. Unfortunately you're 100% right. It's far less likely a 22yr old with 2 ahl seasons who only managed 6 pts each is going to develop into something above replacement level. It's more likely 19yr old Poltapov does because of his longer runway. 

Same thing Josh Allen detractors do. I said this guy stinks so I gotta keep saying it no matter what happens on the field.  Pekar has been ass in the AHL.  I’d be shocked if he was a regular in the Amerks lineup.  He suuuuuuucks.  

These articles aren't really prospect summaries.  The authors list is the top 25 under 25.  That includes more than just prospects.  That would include Thompson, Mitts, Cozens, Dahlin etc and non-prospects like Kale Clague.  

Hard to trust a list that has Neuchev and Kozak at 37 and 36 respectively and Pekar at 26.  

When I wrote up my prospect list I had Pekar 39th.  Now if you add established young pros like TnT, Mitts and Dahlin, that puts Pekar somewhere around 50th.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

These articles aren't really prospect summaries.  The authors list is the top 25 under 25.  That includes more than just prospects.  That would include Thompson, Mitts, Cozens, Dahlin etc and non-prospects like Kale Clague.  

Hard to trust a list that has Neuchev and Kozak at 37 and 36 respectively and Pekar at 26.  

When I wrote up my prospect list I had Pekar 39th.  Now if you add established young pros like TnT, Mitts and Dahlin, that puts Pekar somewhere around 50th.

I have Pekar headed somewhere around Cincinnati 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.