Gaustad Hit

sabre31_98

Borderline maybe. Similar to Tucker's hit on Hecht, if you take away the 40 foot runup and missed elbow to the head. Gaustad didn't really throw out his knee. Still, if that was a Flyer doing it to a Sabre, Lindy would have launched into his "that's a joooooke" routine again.

It was a dirty hit and one that I don't like seeing our guys make.

With that said, I think Forsberg's hit on Briere was much dirtier and maybe the dirtiest play in the series. Briere was being held in a standing-up position along the boards by another flyer and Forsberg came flying in, left his feet (which is automatically a penalty) and launched his elbow at Danny's head. We were just lucky that Briere wasn't concussed. That was an intent-to-injure head shot for which Forsberg should have been suspended.

The Flyers are a bunch of punks and I'll be quite pleased to cash them out tomorrow night.

Go Sabres.

It didn't look like an intentional knee on knee. They collided at a weird angle and Nedved got the worst of it. At no point did Gaustad lead with the knee; the entire time he was leaning forward trying to rock him up high. These things happen.

It was a dirty hit and one that I don't like seeing our guys make.

With that said, I think Forsberg's hit on Briere was much dirtier and maybe the dirtiest play in the series. Briere was being held in a standing-up position along the boards by another flyer and Forsberg came flying in, left his feet (which is automatically a penalty) and launched his elbow at Danny's head. We were just lucky that Briere wasn't concussed. That was an intent-to-injure head shot for which Forsberg should have been suspended.

The Flyers are a bunch of punks and I'll be quite pleased to cash them out tomorrow night.

Go Sabres.

I, for one, am sick of seeing Forsberg jump into guys when he checks them. That should always be a penalty.

So it sounds like it was a little questionable. Well, as long as "Goat" didn't get suspended for his hit on Vanek, it sounds like nothing will be coming on Gaustad. Let them come at Gaustad; he can certainly take care of himself. Besides, our power play is finally working so if they want to take dumb penalties again this series will be over tomorrow.

I, for one, am sick of seeing Forsberg jump into guys when he checks them. That should always be a penalty.

Forsberg is a cheap-shotting loser.

Guys with his talent and skill, that resort to the crap he pulls, piss me off to no end. But like I said before, it's probably in the standard Flyer contract - "Thou must play cheap and dirty, and whine continously".

I think it was a dirty hit. Gaustad found himself just slightly out of position, and in attempting to make some sort of contact, he smiply stuck his left knee out. I don't think Gaustad was doing it with intent to get knee on knee contact and injure his check, but what he did to make contact was not clean. You simply can't stick your knee out like that.

Watching the hit live, I thought it should have received a minor kneeing call. Watching it on TV the next day, I still think that it should have received 2 minutes. It ended up thigh on thigh but very well could have been knee on knee. Gaustad was getting his hip out as well as he turned, which is why I don't think it should have been a major.

I hope I would have felt the same way had it been Nedved hitting Gaustad.

Archived