Matt Fairburn returning to Buffalo to cover the Sabres for the Athletic.

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Apparently Buffalo sports are only allowed two types of media personalities. Grouchy or bland. 

I think Matthew is a fine writer/reporter, but is personality illegal with Sabres media coverage?

If people want better journalism, then more people have to pay for better journalism. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Apparently Buffalo sports are only allowed two types of media personalities. Grouchy or bland. 

I think Matthew is a fine writer/reporter, but is personality illegal with Sabres media coverage?

But Matt is a reporter, no? Maybe I’m old school, but I look for professionalism and not-readily-available facts, from my reporters and personality and insight from my columnists. 

How do you reconcile the two?

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

But Matt is a reporter, no? Maybe I’m old school, but I look for professionalism and not-readily-available facts, from my reporters and personality and insight from my columnists. 

Those lines are blurred today. At the BN, Harrington is both a columnist and a reporter.  

Athletic writers seem to be structured the same. I don’t think those roles are so defined anymore. 

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

People *love* to complain. It's why PFF exists. They literally have said they publish numbers for the sole reason of upsetting certain fanbases because they know it will drive traffic. Skip Bayless, Stephen Smith get a lot of attention, but solid reporting or articles that have a lot of backing for opinions don't get the same amount of attention. People complain about it, but anytime a team gets mentioned there's always someone who can't wait to get that outrage high. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.