RHD Available in the 2022 Draft

Crusader1969

Keep in mind Salomonsson is only 16 days shy of the 2023 draft. 

16 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

ELIAS SALOMONSSON  RHD    Skellefteå   August 31 2004

6’1   172lbs    Sweden

Salomonsson.thumb.jpg.ee1e1ceaf08dec5010855e824fabc22f.jpg

Rankings 

#29 by FCHOCKEY
#33 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
#78 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
#62 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
#21 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
#32 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
#26 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
#26 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
#51 by SMAHT SCOUTING
#15 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY

J20 Sweden  35GP 11G 11A

Salomonsson came into the 2022 Draft year as a potential top 10 pick, drawing comparisons to John Klingberg. He was the first 2004 born to play in the SHL and captained Sweden at the 2021 Hlinka Tournament. However, his defensive deficiencies have moved him down the rankings

OFFENCE

Swedishpropsects.com “Salomonsson uses his mobility to be a constant threat in the offensive zone. He is a gifted playmaker that operates from the blueline, always ready to display his heavy one-time slapshot and sneaky wrister.”

Future Considerations “He moves the puck so well, if not with his feet, with his passing. He finds teammates with ease, with hard, accurate passes”

Scott Wheeler The Athletic “He moves well in all four directions, he involves himself in a lot of plays offensively, he’s got room and runway to fill out his frame, and most of his finer skills (like his shot and his control) get good grades. It doesn’t hurt that he’s a 6-foot-1 righty either.

DEFENCE

Future Cosiderations “ the defensive zone, he has the talent to be a force against opponents, but can position improperly to make himself a non-factor.

The Athletic “ He’s got work to do to tighten up his positioning and his reads but the things he needs to work on tend mostly to be about reps and maturity. I like his comfort level under pressure and confidence for a player as young as he is.”

SKATING

Swedishprospects.com “Elias Salomonsson is at his best during offensive transition where he uses his skating to carry the puck up ice. Starting already behind his own net, he has the ability to take a few quick strides to distance himself from a forechecker. Whether he distributes the puck or transports it on his stick, his manoeuvrability is an asset during offensive rushes”

Future Considerations “His skating is high-end, from his effortless acceleration to his exceptional use of crossovers, to his strong, full extensions”

Salomonsson entered the season with hopes of being a top 10 prospect but hasn’t been able to reach that standard. It does seem that after a slow (disappointing) start to the season, his play has picked up recently.  Still has a strong chance to be a first round pick, most likely in the 20’s.  His a puck moving D-man with offensive skills that would intique the Sabres. Reminds me a bit of Jokiharhu and Im not sure the Sabres would want to add another RHD in a similar mold. However, if he is still on the board late in round 1 or early in round 2, the value may be too good to pass over.

19 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I would tend to agree with you, however Samuelsson was not thought of as a mobile defender, just that his skating was just "good enough"   If a defender is smart in knowing how to use body position and has a good stick, he can over come mobility concerns.  however, i wouldnt want them to draft a pilon either. My readings on Warren is that he has pretty good mobility for a 6'5 dman.

and yes 100%   drafting a RHD does not exclude the Sabres from trading for or signing someone for immediate help.  Not sure how some people, not to mention names but we all know who, can confuse the issue 🙂 

I really like Samuelson and had no complaints when he was drafted.  I went back and read Samuelson's draft profile below and while they said skating could make him go higher in the draft they didn't indicate that skating would prevent him from making the NHL.  Sometimes when I read the scouting reviews skating comes up as a much bigger concern for prospects.  I guess that I'm not convinced Warren is the RHD equivalent to Samuelson (much more of a project). 

https://thehockeywriters.com/mattias-samuelsson-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

What he’s done a really good job of in the last couple months is challenging his gap, his footwork, shutting pucks down in the neutral zone and then transitioning the puck to our forwards and activating into the rush.

You ask forwards in the USHL, they certainly know how physical he is. He’s a physical player, he’s hard to play against. He’s not a defenceman that goes for a big hit at the expense of making the right play. He just gets into you and lets you know you’re going against him when the time is right.

Mattias Samuelsson is going to be a top-three defenceman on some NHL team for the next 15-plus years. He’s going to eat minutes, he’s going to help you win and he’s going to be miserable to play against.” – Seth Appert/U.S. National Team Development Program

Welcome to the 2022 Sabres (nice prediction Seth)!

• Thanks (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Digger said:

I really like Samuelson and had no complaints when he was drafted.  I went back and read Samuelson's draft profile below and while they said skating could make him go higher in the draft they didn't indicate that skating would prevent him from making the NHL.  Sometimes when I read the scouting reviews skating comes up as a much bigger concern for prospects.  I guess that I'm not convinced Warren is the RHD equivalent to Samuelson (much more of a project). 

https://thehockeywriters.com/mattias-samuelsson-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

What he’s done a really good job of in the last couple months is challenging his gap, his footwork, shutting pucks down in the neutral zone and then transitioning the puck to our forwards and activating into the rush.

You ask forwards in the USHL, they certainly know how physical he is. He’s a physical player, he’s hard to play against. He’s not a defenceman that goes for a big hit at the expense of making the right play. He just gets into you and lets you know you’re going against him when the time is right.

Mattias Samuelsson is going to be a top-three defenceman on some NHL team for the next 15-plus years. He’s going to eat minutes, he’s going to help you win and he’s going to be miserable to play against.” – Seth Appert/U.S. National Team Development Program

Welcome to the 2022 Sabres (nice prediction Seth)!

I worry a lot about skating when I read "good for their size" because they usually means they are big by heavy on their edges. Warren reminds me other guys like him who should be 2nd or even 3rd picks but go higher because big=good in many places across the league

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Watching Mule in Rochester and Buffalo he is as advertised: Big, physical, takes care of his end. The thing that has impressed me is how often he gets up in the rush. Markstrom made a great save on him as he drove the net and Girgs went cross crease to him for a tap on.

I think he is starting to see and feel confidence in his offensive opportunities...  his default is D, but with all the other guys doing it.... so when in Rome... and he is finding out he is pretty decent at it... Still love his grind on the back end.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Watching Mule in Rochester and Buffalo he is as advertised: Big, physical, takes care of his end. The thing that has impressed me is how often he gets up in the rush. Markstrom made a great save on him as he drove the net and Girgs went cross crease to him for a tap on.

I think Samuelsson is the exact prototype the Sabres need to find in the draft   
im only 2 players deep but at this point in liking Warren over Salomonsson for them. Though I’d rank Salomonsson over Warren in a league wide draft  - if that makes any sense 

• Like (+1) 1

I looked at 14 different lists at Elite Prospects. There are 13 different RHD that are at least on 1 list as a 1st rounder.

Elite Prospects Consolidated list has 6 RHD in the 1st round.

3-Simon Nemec, Feb.’04, 6’1” 192, 26 pts in 39 games, Slovakia pro league

7-David Jiricek, Nov.’03, 6’3” 190, 11/20, Czechia pro league

18-Seamus Casey, Jan.’04, 5’10” 161, 35/51 USNDP

25-Ty Nelson, Mar.’04, 5’10 196, 48/57 OHL

28-Tristan Luneau, Jan.’04, 6’2 174, 31/46 QMJHL

31-Ryan Chesley, Feb.’04, 6’ 194, 34/65 USNDP

Honourable Mention (more than 1 list)

Elias Salomonsson, Aug.’04, 6’1 172, 0/10 SHL, 22/35 J20

Maveric Lamoureux, Jan.’04, 6’7” 196, 17/39, QMJHL

Sam Rinzel, Jun.’04, 6’4 181, 4/10 USHL, 38/27 Minn. HS

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/19/2022 at 11:10 AM, LGR4GM said:

Keep in mind Salomonsson is only 16 days shy of the 2023 draft. 

If he's this good relative to his peers while being almost a full year younger, I would give him a serious look a bit earlier than his ranking would indicate.  That bridge is often difficult to overcome at his age.

• Like (+1) 1

OTTO SALIN RHD   HIFK   March 7 2004

5'11  192lbs   image.png.05ffaaec3ce032abe502c0b749c5f143.png

Rankings 

Future Considerations    73
Bob Mckenzie 66
McKeens 65
Draft Prospects #62
The Puck Authority #65

U20 SM-sarja  11GP 4G 8A

Salin.thumb.webp.df8c3454d7b2f788571259dfbe0d4f01.webp

Offence minded Dman who plays in Finland. Represented them at the last Hlinka Gretzky Cup with 4points in 5 games   Was injured during HIFK's Champions league game last fall and has played only a handful of games

OFFENCE

Dobber Prospects  “Salin was great in the offensive zone and he got shots on goal from the point through the traffic. One good example of that was his goal, where he fired a great wrist shot from the blue line off the cycle. He loves to rush aggressively from the blue line and has the ability to create chances from there"

Future Considerations “ He has good shooting skills from the blue line, and he isn't afraid of using them. Smooth-skating, modern puck-moving defenseman who is constantly looking ways to start or support offense"

Finnish Junior Hockey " able to create offense by carrying the puck into the offensive zone. He is an offensive-minded defenseman and there was seldom a panic point in his game, as he stayed calm under pressure and made good, accurate passes on the breakout."

DEFENCE

Future Considerations “He showed good defensive instincts intercepting passes and defending own blue line against controlled entries. His defensive game still needs some maturing, and for him it will be very important to learn how to position his stick defensively, since his size probably won’t allow him to be a guy that is winning all the 1V1 battles near the blue paint"

Dobber Prospects "doesn't control the gap very well off the rush and despite having a solid frame, he isn’t very strong. He did throw a couple of hits but other than that, his physical play isn't great", 

SKATING

Dobber Prospects ”He can gain a lot of speed with crossovers and on puck retrievals, he accelerates quickly so he can carry the puck up the ice if necessary. Salin likes having the puck and he always wants it on his blade. He also supports the attack a lot, which can make him a bit vulnerable defensively"

Future Considerations “smooth-skating, modern puck-moving defenseman who is constantly looking ways to start or support offense. His skating and hands are good and work well with his high hockey IQ which results as a really smooth and effortless looking plays"

Was tough to find much information on Salin, unfortunately his season was derailed by a dirty hit from John Quinneville during a Champions League game. Seems there is a lot to like about Salin and fits the mold of the modern day puck moving Dman, who would have been considered under-sized by NHL standards not too long ago. Has played 6 games on HIFK's Liiga team, so NHL scouts have had a chance to see his game vs men. As most 18 year old prospects, he needs to add strength. To me, he sounds a lot like Jokiharju, which is a positive however I would rank him behind both Warren and Salomonnson on the Sabres draft board at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

SAM RINZEL  RHD   Waterloo   June 25 2004

6’4  181lbs    image.png.0ac944091decd2da940e6310aa86cd7f.png

Rankings:
Bob Mckenzie 47
McKeens 41
Craig Button 42
Elite Prospects 21

large-Rinzel-Sam.thumb.jpg.020df228ad71bab52ca4ef4a3794ac04.jpg

USHL  14GP 1G 5A

Sam Rinzel is an offensive defenseman, with prototypical height that NHL teams crave. We are starting to see him move up rankings as the season progresses.
He played Minnesota HS hockey this season before joining Waterloo in the USHL.

OFFENCE

Elite Prospects "He’s a human highlight reel, confident as ever, as he maneuvers through into high-danger scoring areas. Add on a projectable in-stride, angle-changing wrist shot, the frame and handling habits to continue to protect the puck, and thought-out, deliberate placements of his shots, and he can do damage. 

Future Considerations "He drives transition from the backend, carrying the puck up and down the ice and is very good at completing zone exits and zone entries by himself. He has a strong playmaking ability, and his team’s offensive zone setup runs through him — even as a defenseman"

The Hockey News "Rinzel is patient with the puck on his stick, drawing in opponents and then making a move right as the lane opens up. Rinzel is a skilled passer who can make a smart breakout pass or find a teammate on the backdoor from the blueline"

DEFENCE

Future Considerations “his size plays a big part in his strong defensive game but so was the way he used his stick as he was angling off attackers and deflecting incoming passes. He was very engaged with players without the puck, taking their stick away and totally wiping them out as a passing option"

Elite Prospects "Rinzel has two modes while defending transitional attacks. The first is aggressiveness. Like a bull escaping through a gate at a rodeo, he has very little regard for his opponents at times. Rinzel’s second mode is actually fairly passive. He will often opt to concede his blue-line to keep the inside lane protected, only jumping to the side-boards if his opponent slows up or continues a perimeter route"

SKATING

Elite Prospects "The Chaska High defender is an overwhelmingly dangerous puck carrier; fearless like a formula-1 driver travelling at 260 KPH, manipulative like a hypnotist and as poised as a broadway actor. His skating, which is currently graded in the Elite Prospects database at 4.5-of-9, could potentially become above-average with some heel-push integrations and added strength"

Future Considerations "His skating and fluid mobility in all three zones is his best attribute. Rinzel is calm with the puck on his stick. He makes the right decisions under pressure and has the skill to get himself out of any bad situation he may find himself in."

Extremely interesting prospect and is gaining more and more attention as the season winds down. Elite prospects have him ranked in the 20s and could be in play for the Sabres with their 2 late first round picks. He is thought to be the best High School prospect and has stood head and shoulders above the competition. It seems his offensive output has fallen in the USHL with only 6points in 14 game but that could be due to an adjustment period playing against tougher competition.

If the Sabres believe his raw talents will translate to the NHL I would rank him above the 3 other Dmen that I have profiled.

• Like (+1) 1

New from the Hockey News

Noah Warren, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL)

A hulking 6-foot-5 blueliner that embraces the defensive side of the game, Warren has been rising up boards as the season has worn on. The QMJHL defender plays a sound defensive game with the ability to move the puck upon retrieval but isn’t likely to be known for his offensive production. Warren closes out quickly in defensive transitions, closing the gap and using his reach to angle the attacker to the outside or using his 215lbs frame to punish an opposing player who chooses not to dump the puck deep.

Warren uses his length when defending in zone as well, clogging up passing lanes and guiding play to the outside. His physicality is often used appropriately with the rare instance of chasing a hit. Warren's puck skills are improving, and while he may never truly become an offensive difference-maker, there is some potential for him to develop into a solid defense-first, transitional defender.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

SAM RINZEL  RHD   Waterloo   June 25 2004

6’4  181lbs    image.png.0ac944091decd2da940e6310aa86cd7f.png

Rankings:
Bob Mckenzie 47
McKeens 41
Craig Button 42
Elite Prospects 21

large-Rinzel-Sam.thumb.jpg.020df228ad71bab52ca4ef4a3794ac04.jpg

USHL  14GP 1G 5A

Sam Rinzel is an offensive defenseman, with prototypical height that NHL teams crave. We are starting to see him move up rankings as the season progresses.
He played Minnesota HS hockey this season before joining Waterloo in the USHL.

OFFENCE

Elite Prospects "He’s a human highlight reel, confident as ever, as he maneuvers through into high-danger scoring areas. Add on a projectable in-stride, angle-changing wrist shot, the frame and handling habits to continue to protect the puck, and thought-out, deliberate placements of his shots, and he can do damage. 

Future Considerations "He drives transition from the backend, carrying the puck up and down the ice and is very good at completing zone exits and zone entries by himself. He has a strong playmaking ability, and his team’s offensive zone setup runs through him — even as a defenseman"

The Hockey News "Rinzel is patient with the puck on his stick, drawing in opponents and then making a move right as the lane opens up. Rinzel is a skilled passer who can make a smart breakout pass or find a teammate on the backdoor from the blueline"

DEFENCE

Future Considerations “his size plays a big part in his strong defensive game but so was the way he used his stick as he was angling off attackers and deflecting incoming passes. He was very engaged with players without the puck, taking their stick away and totally wiping them out as a passing option"

Elite Prospects "Rinzel has two modes while defending transitional attacks. The first is aggressiveness. Like a bull escaping through a gate at a rodeo, he has very little regard for his opponents at times. Rinzel’s second mode is actually fairly passive. He will often opt to concede his blue-line to keep the inside lane protected, only jumping to the side-boards if his opponent slows up or continues a perimeter route"

SKATING

Elite Prospects "The Chaska High defender is an overwhelmingly dangerous puck carrier; fearless like a formula-1 driver travelling at 260 KPH, manipulative like a hypnotist and as poised as a broadway actor. His skating, which is currently graded in the Elite Prospects database at 4.5-of-9, could potentially become above-average with some heel-push integrations and added strength"

Future Considerations "His skating and fluid mobility in all three zones is his best attribute. Rinzel is calm with the puck on his stick. He makes the right decisions under pressure and has the skill to get himself out of any bad situation he may find himself in."

Extremely interesting prospect and is gaining more and more attention as the season winds down. Elite prospects have him ranked in the 20s and could be in play for the Sabres with their 2 late first round picks. He is thought to be the best High School prospect and has stood head and shoulders above the competition. It seems his offensive output has fallen in the USHL with only 6points in 14 game but that could be due to an adjustment period playing against tougher competition.

If the Sabres believe his raw talents will translate to the NHL I would rank him above the 3 other Dmen that I have profiled.

Definitely is adjusting to the ushl right now. He'll be in the ushl next year too as he's not supposed to start college until 2023. His late June bday means we could see an explosion from him next season as he physically matures.

Is there a dark horse to keep an eye on down the stretch?

Defenseman Noah Warren (6-5, 216), No. 49 on Central Scouting's midterm list of North American skaters, has impressed with a strong, physical presence in his zone while scoring 19 points (four goals, 15 assists) in 50 games for Gatineau of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

"It's been an impressive progression from Noah," Central Scouting's Jean-Francois Damphousse said. "He's a big, strong defenseman who can skate well and has impressive speed with his forward stride carrying the puck."

https://www.nhl.com/news/five-questions-entering-nhl-central-scouting-final-meetings/c-332592714

Curious what the "can skate well and has impressive speed" really means or if they're just biasing it because the first item (that he's "big"). 

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/five-questions-entering-nhl-central-scouting-final-meetings/c-332592714

Curious what the "can skate well and has impressive speed" really means or if they're just biasing it because the first item (that he's "big"). 

I really like the idea of Noah Warren in the 2nd. originally thought 3rd but think he's moving up the draft boards

On 4/4/2022 at 1:40 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Maveric Lamoureux. 

Im really looking forward to profiling him    Now thats a kid that looks skinny but when he fills out, he could be a real find.

Watched a bit of Gatineau vs Drummondville this weekend. Unfortunately, Warren didn't but his teammate Luneau looked really impressive.  

• Like (+1) 1

Chris Peters Hockey Sense on Sam Rinzel

”6-foot-4, right-shot defenseman has a bunch of tools that leave you especially intrigued due to his size. His skating ability and overall footwork are very good. He has good touch on the puck and can make some nice plays around the ice, but those that have been watching him all season have seen enough warts in his game to wonder how high the ceiling really is.”

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.