GDT: Sharks at Sabres 7PM Jan 6, 2022

Brawndo

53 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They are not well written with a good overarching narrative or character development.

I mean... you're not wrong.

You had a simple B-movie and then a pretty solid sequel that expanded things. Then, a conclusion that was fine in story A, but rote, and with a baffling character choice so as not to introduce new people to the cast. Then, a cash grab 15 years later with a story that didn't need to be told and feels like a first draft although the story beats are sensible. And then you have three different authors building as they go for a finale.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I mean... you're not wrong.

You had a simple B-movie and then a pretty solid sequel that expanded things. Then, a conclusion that was fine in story A, but rote, and with a baffling character choice so as not to introduce new people to the cast. Then, a cash grab 15 years later with a story that didn't need to be told and feels like a first draft although the story beats are sensible. And then you have three different authors building as they go for a finale.

This is going over my head for some reason 

54 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Not having someone like Kevin Fiege overseeing the story lines of Episodes 7-9 and having Lawrence Kasdan only write 5,6 and 7 hurt. 

True. If you're going to build a trilogy in today's day-and-age, it had better be three parts of a pre-planned story. The original Star Wars got away with it because the first one caught lightning in a bottle and the 2nd was a really good little film. And you had a big baddie that your character could find some form of redemption through (regardless of how poor the "plan" to rescue Han was and how silly it was to have Leia/Luke be siblings instead of his sister being someone else off-screen). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Spoonman said:

I feel bad for UPL. No support from our AHL+ roster

Rob, thanks for supporting our undermanned team. 😑

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

True. If you're going to build a trilogy in today's day-and-age, it had better be three parts of a pre-planned story. The original Star Wars got away with it because the first one caught lightning in a bottle and the 2nd was a really good little film. And you had a big baddie that your character could find some form of redemption through (regardless of how poor the "plan" to rescue Han was and how silly it was to have Leia/Luke be siblings instead of his sister being someone else off-screen). 

How sad we debate Star Wars when watching a live NHL game. (Sigh)

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is going over my head for some reason 

Ah -- so, Leia was not Luke's sister until late in script development. I don't know that the sister was going to be part of Return of the Jedi, but once it was, then Lucas just kinda shrugged and made Leia the sister. Which just made everything needlessly complicated and also dull. No love triangle, no conflict, but also all sorts of weird stuff in hindsight.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

Ah -- so, Leia was not Luke's sister until late in script development. I don't know that the sister was going to be part of Return of the Jedi, but once it was, then Lucas just kinda shrugged and made Leia the sister. Which just made everything needlessly complicated and also dull. No love triangle, no conflict, but also all sorts of weird stuff in hindsight.

Ah ok not sure I had heard that. And Darth wasn't originally Luke's father, right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.