Sabrespace Seattle Expansion Draft

GASabresIUFAN

I skipped one as I decided Brawndo or Hoss would take my team while I was working on it, so I went with New Jersey. Slim pickins, 2nd place goes to 32 year old UFA goaltender Aaron Dell, if you corner the market on goaltending you might be able to distribute them back for picks. The better option for New Jersey is Nathan Bastian. Played fourth line against the other teams power play forwards and didn't get eaten alive. His shorthanded work? The entire team has scary PK numbers, who coaches that team?

He's young(23) and can play a role. Makes 850 or 875, I forget.

Keep seeing people making selections with statements to the effect of 'Seattle can flip this guy at the deadline.'  (Realize that Sakman was saying it could go either way.)

Really doubt that Francis will be using that as his selection criterion for the vast majority of players he selects.  He's going to try to put a team together that can get ahead of: LA, SJ, Anaheim, & Vancouver while not allowing 5 Norris Division teams ahead of it.  That is a very reachable goal IMHO.

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

STL - Tarasenko 

I see you went to the Pi school of following instructions.  (agree with the choice)

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

From the New York Islanders the Kraken select C Kieffer Bellows. As he's a young kid who has some upside. He might not play every night early on but cheap depth with potential. Edit cap hit: $894,167.00

Agree.  Nice choice

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Keep seeing people making selections with statements to the effect of 'Seattle can flip this guy at the deadline.'  (Realize that Sakman was saying it could go either way.)

Really doubt that Francis will be using that as his selection criterion for the vast majority of players he selects.  He's going to try to put a team together that can get ahead of: LA, SJ, Anaheim, & Vancouver while not allowing 5 Norris Division teams ahead of it.  That is a very reachable goal IMHO.

Well, you get, what 30 picks, to find 23 players? This isn't how the draft is going to happen, we don't know enough information about deals, one teams pick will influence other teams picks, we're just talking hockey here. Toronto/Pittsburgh deal indicates to me the Toronto has a deal in place, Pittsburgh doesn't, but I'm just guessing.

What about this? I think you can get sufficient goaltending, OK defense, and too many Nathan Bastian type players, who is a pretty good hockey player. What you can't get enough of is power play talent, outside of the odd Tarasenko. What about rolling 3 lines, and having guys that only play power play, but don't play enough defense to get on the ice 5-5? Nikita Gusev comes to mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, rakish said:

Well, you get, what 30 picks, to find 23 players? This isn't how the draft is going to happen, we don't know enough information about deals, one teams pick will influence other teams picks, we're just talking hockey here. Toronto/Pittsburgh deal indicates to me the Toronto has a deal in place, Pittsburgh doesn't, but I'm just guessing.

What about this? I think you can get sufficient goaltending, OK defense, and too many Nathan Bastian type players, who is a pretty good hockey player. What you can't get enough of is power play talent, outside of the odd Tarasenko. What about rolling 3 lines, and having guys that only play power play, but don't play enough defense to get on the ice 5-5? Nikita Gusev comes to mind. 

Absolutely this is being done in a vacuum.  But there is a bit of info that should be widely known given how things happened at the Vegas draft.  And that is, a "win now" (or at least try to win now) team can be assembled.    Especially in a division with LA, Anaheim, SJ, & Vancouver in it a team should be expecting to compete for the playoffs.  And a team trying to do that ISN'T looking at selections through the lens of "if things go sour, what do we recoup at the end of February."

Now, if people were saying they were grabbing a guy to be part of a package to flip NOW, that would make sense IMHO, but grabbing a guy with intentions of flipping him in January or February, not so much.  Again, IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

So here is where we stand with 6 picks left

We have 15 forwards (14 min), 7 D (9 min), 2 G (3 Min) with 17 NHL contracts (20 min)

The biggest issues with the team so far is incredibly to many expensive centers.  Rask, Tierney and Henrique is one to many centers of this mid level caliber.  The team could also use another more experienced D.  Cap Hit is currently 60.99 mill.

The only change that I'd make so far is swapping Rask from Min for their young goalie Kahkonen who is signed for 1 yr at 725K.

In the remaining 6 picks they need at least 2 D and 1 goalie and 3 guys with NHL deals.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

They will almost certainly grab Pettersson from Pittsburgh.  D 4.025 mill

I saw in another thread that Sea is taking McCann from the Leafs.  

I also might grab Connor Sheary from Wash for 735K for a couple of years, but they need at least one more goalie so Vanacek @ 716K

I've finished up the draft based on needs

SJ - Donato  LW 1.9mill, Van - Bowey - D 750K.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 7/20/2021 at 6:29 PM, rakish said:

I skipped one as I decided Brawndo or Hoss would take my team while I was working on it, so I went with New Jersey. Slim pickins, 2nd place goes to 32 year old UFA goaltender Aaron Dell, if you corner the market on goaltending you might be able to distribute them back for picks. The better option for New Jersey is Nathan Bastian. Played fourth line against the other teams power play forwards and didn't get eaten alive. His shorthanded work? The entire team has scary PK numbers, who coaches that team?

He's young(23) and can play a role. Makes 850 or 875, I forget.

Nathan Bastian was, of course, a gimme.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.