What happened to Les Sabres?

lamaisonbleu

Answering mjd1001 I refer to a site 'audacity.com' and the subject 'Sabres still paying for the sins of Tim Murray'. He traded young, core, developing players and a lot of draft picks to win quick. One example is the Tyler Myers trade. The players he got, as good as they were didn't seem to gel and they passed through guickly. There's something to be said for developing your own picks, seeing them playing together, making adjustments, fostering cohesion, and a Sabres identity. Vegas is the exception to quickly developing a winner, but that's another story. In Murray's early press conferences he bemoaned the loss of McDavid so that Eichel was chopped liver. If he had any brains he would have sung the praises of Eichel and never mentioned McDavid. I knew then that the Sabres were in for a bumpy ride.

• Like (+1) 1

For the unaware, in the last regular season game of the 71-72 season, the Flyers needed a mere point against the Sabres at the Aud. Gerry Meehan broke a tie with four seconds left in the third period, scoring on an 80-foot shot. The Flyers were done, thanks to a twerpy little newbie Hockey God.

The others never forgot.

The Godlet knows his place, Favell makes an easy save and we have four Cups as a franchise. Book it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

For the unaware, in the last regular season game of the 71-72 season, the Flyers needed a mere point against the Sabres at the Aud. Gerry Meehan broke a tie with four seconds left in the third period, scoring on an 80-foot shot. The Flyers were done, thanks to a twerpy little newbie Hockey God.

The others never forgot.

The Godlet knows his place, Favell makes an easy save and we have four Cups as a franchise. Book it.

FYI: you are not the only person I have heard say this.  Everyone else agrees on 1975 and 1980.

The more I thought about this thread, the more I've grown to loathe it. Did I talk about relegation in the past? Yes. Have I expressed my frustration with the Sabres missing the playoffs and how certain personnel didn't work out? Absolutely. But the reality is that this cannot last forever, and I've said that as well. After all, the Bills went 17 years without making the playoffs, and now they're a serious contender for the Super Bowl.

Don't give up hope. We will be back in the playoffs one day. Perhaps a lot sooner than we think.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/12/2021 at 12:06 PM, PASabreFan said:

See also: the lure of the dynasty and the looking down the nose at "just making the playoffs." The lure ("Pegvorka") raised expectations and, failing to work, lowered the entertainment value of Sabres hockey to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

Hubris

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Illustration for John Milton's Paradise Lost by Gustave Doré (1866). The spiritual descent of Lucifer into Satan — one of the most famous examples of hubris.

Hubris (/ˈhjuːbrɪs/, from ancient Greek ὕβρις) describes a personality quality of extreme or excessive pride[1] or dangerous overconfidence,[2] often in combination with (or synonymous with) arrogance.[3] The term "arrogance" comes from the Latin adrogare, meaning to feel that one has a right to demand certain attitudes and behaviors from other people. To "arrogate" means "to claim or seize without justification.... to make undue claims to having",[4] or "to claim or seize without right... to ascribe or attribute without reason".[5] The term "pretension" is also associated with the term hubris, but is not synonymous with hubris.[6][need quotation to verify] According to studies, hubris, arrogance and pretension are related to the need for victory (even if it doesn't always mean winning) instead of reconciliation, such as "friendly" groups might promote.[7] Hubris is usually perceived[by whom?] as a characteristic of an individual rather than a group, although the group the offender belongs to may suffer collateral consequences from wrongful acts. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence, accomplishments or capabilities. The adjectival form of the noun hubris is "hubristic".

The term hubris originated in ancient Greek,[8] where it had several different meanings depending on the context: in legal usage it meant assault or sexual crimes and theft of public property,[9] and in religious usage it meant transgression against a god. the hockey gods

Finally, this from Craig Custance: There’s also an inherent risk that comes with tanking and that’s building in a culture of losing into your organization. You can bring in all the young talent you want but if there isn’t an established culture and veteran players teaching those players how to win, it won’t work. I think it’s harder to turn around a tailspin if there’s an implied message that it’s okay to lose for a year or two.”

Additional commentary: You don't tank when you don't know what you're doing. Tanking is fundamentally dishonest and against the fans. Tanking has only been successfully pulled off a couple times in NHL history. Our tank was predicated on building around cornerstones Ekblad and McDavid. Wrong again, Pegulas.

Edited by Kong
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kong said:

Hubris

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Illustration for John Milton's Paradise Lost by Gustave Doré (1866). The spiritual descent of Lucifer into Satan — one of the most famous examples of hubris.

Hubris (/ˈhjuːbrɪs/, ...

Finally, this from Craig Custance: There’s also an inherent risk that comes with tanking and that’s building in a culture of losing into your organization. You can bring in all the young talent you want but if there isn’t an established culture and veteran players teaching those players how to win, it won’t work. I think it’s harder to turn around a tailspin if there’s an implied message that it’s okay to lose for a year or two.”

Additional commentary: You don't tank when you don't know what you're doing. Tanking is fundamentally dishonest and against the fans. Tanking has only been successfully pulled off a couple times in NHL history. Our tank was predicated on building around cornerstones Ekblad and McDavid. Wrong again, Pegulas.

I want to know who the yahoos were who sold them on tanking rather than a customary rebuild.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I want to know who the yahoos were who sold them on tanking rather than a customary rebuild.

Good question. Terry seemed to become a Pens fan after moving from Buffalo to the Pittsburgh area. (Link? Not really, but I can link to a pic of Terry with Sidney, and he did name his dog Sidney — no, the kids didn't.) Terry's buddy Cliff Benson of Deloitte did accounting work for the Pens. Terry credits Cliff with encouraging him to buy the Sabres, and Cliff was a principal player in the process. "He's the first guy I told I wanted to buy the Sabres who didn't laugh at me." Cliff then joined the Sabres' front office, and not surprising Ted Black and Ken Sawyer of the Pens came along.

That's the genesis of tanking: Terry's love of Sid and all the Pittsburgh people he brought along (with a measure of "win a Cup, then win another one" mentality). Now, of course, the Pens didn't tank for Sid, as there was no season before that draft; the Sabres had the same shot at Sid based on their crummy seasons before that draft. And Sid arrived on a decent Pittsburgh that plausibly could have success as he grew into his game. Hence a Cup four-ish years later.

Still, they tanked.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.