Jay McKee is the new Hamilton Bulldogs head coach.

Eleven

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

This is significant because he will be the Sabres' head coach in three years.  And he will wear #74 behind the bench instead of a boring suit.

Damn you.

I had "And it begins" all lined up.

Also — Tired of meatballs? Try some cheese.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Excellent.  He is one of my all-time favorite Sabres.  Letting him go as a FA in 2006 was an under-the-radar major blunder.

They couldn't afford him and we all knew it at the time.  He's one of my all-time favorites as well.

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They couldn't afford him and we all knew it at the time.  He's one of my all-time favorites as well.

And it is definitely woulda, coulda, shoulda, but if management would've been willing to risk giving him and Briere the 3 year deals they wanted heading out of the lockout instead of only giving out 1 year deals, that team might have been a dynasty.

They wouldn't have had to lose Dumont & Grier as cap casualties that off-season that McKee was a cap casualty either.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think it's more accurate to say that they couldn't afford to match the FA offer he got from STL once they let his contract expire in July 2006 and he was able to solicit offers as a UFA -- in much the same clever way they handled Drury and Briere.

Could they have afforded to sign him to an extension in the summer of 2005?  We'll never know, but I'd bet the answer is yes.

Just now, nfreeman said:

I think it's more accurate to say that they couldn't afford to match the FA offer he got from STL once they let his contract expire in July 2006 and he was able to solicit offers as a UFA -- in much the same clever way they handled Drury and Briere.

Could they have afforded to sign him to an extension in the summer of 2005?  We'll never know, but I'd bet the answer is yes.

They ABSOLUTELY could've afforded to sign him & Briere in the summer of '05 to 3 year deals.

They didn't because of Golisano's "if we could get away with 1 day contracts we would" and they didn't know if the year off would allow McKee to finally recover from nagging injuries and play the way he had earlier in his career.

Briere would've been worth the risk because in an absolute worst case he'd've earned that money & extension on the PP alone. 

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I can agree w/ this.

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Excellent.  He is one of my all-time favorite Sabres.  Letting him go as a FA in 2006 was an under-the-radar major blunder.

One of mine too. However, IIRC, wasn't he damaged goods by the time he arrived in STL? I recall that his career started to tank after that.

36 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

One of mine too. However, IIRC, wasn't he damaged goods by the time he arrived in STL? I recall that his career started to tank after that.

He had some serious injury problems his first year there, and really wasn't the same, but I don't think his career quite tanked.  He was a solid defenseman in the mold of Jim Schoenfeld for his whole career.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

He had some serious injury problems his first year there, and really wasn't the same, but I don't think his career quite tanked.  He was a solid defenseman in the mold of Jim Schoenfeld for his whole career.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.