Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

"It's all about winning." Don reacting to a question about how he sells himself as a head coach in the NHL when he has a reputation as a development coach.

Granato went to the finals in the USHL, won the Kelly Cup in the ECHL, and was AHL Coach of the Year with Worcester. It's not like he hasn't won games as a head coach.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Unprompted, Don credited RaKru for leaving him a solid foundation to build on.

He said the same in the interview with Cammy as well.  I noted it at the time as the one negative in the interview (somewhere upthread).

• Haha (+1) 1

Had time to listen to this and digest.  DG comes across as very insightful into his own players. I liked his explanation of contentment V Happiness... is this a hint that perhaps we won't be seeing many big moves (JE, SR) this offseason? His thoughts on development and player comfort were interesting too. Develop the player and the analytics will follow. 

On the face of these interviews and the players' turnaround I think he is a good candidate for the guys we have, at this point in time. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Unprompted, Don credited RaKru for leaving him a solid foundation to build on.

The Italian Don was being polite. The primary reason why the Don was successful is because that which Krueger espoused he did the opposite. The same foundation that Krueger misused and ingloriously failed with the successor properly used and succeeded with.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

The Italian Don was being polite. The primary reason why the Don was successful is because that which Krueger espoused he did the opposite. The same foundation that Krueger misused and ingloriously failed with the successor properly used and succeeded with.  

^^^^This. He probably doesn't tell his wife she looks fat in that dress, either.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I didn't listen too closely (i was working) but it seemed like he was calling out the media and the constant negativity in the postgame interviews. 

To some extent, the media is a function of the fanbase in that they're going to sell what we're buying. That spills over into how much players want to play here. 

I think our part is to not buy into the clowns that constantly sell us on negative articles. I enjoyed watching our young guys this year and choose to focus on that vs the poor results.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I didn't listen too closely (i was working) but it seemed like he was calling out the media and the constant negativity in the postgame interviews. 

To some extent, the media is a function of the fanbase in that they're going to sell what we're buying. That spills over into how much players want to play here. 

I think our part is to not buy into the clowns that constantly sell us on negative articles. I enjoyed watching our young guys this year and choose to focus on that vs the poor results.

I have enjoyed reading the athletic because typically the Sabres' writers there don't whine about Reinhart not answering their questions how they want. 

My entire opinion of the Buffalo guys changed after I heard Ullmark toss shade on I think Hamilton (maybe Harrington, idk they blend). Ullmark seems like such a chill guy that I really found that interesting as the dynamic there is clearly not great. I think Granato is right in that frustrated players showing frustration is normal and that doing the interviews is just an outlet. I wouldn't want to be asked why I suck at my job multiple times a week. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I enjoyed watching our young guys this year and choose to focus on that vs the poor results.

Agreed.  And I would say I would take a continuation of that for another year (development of youth, meh standings) if the youth is ready to take the team over at the end of the year.  I see Granato as a bridge coach to take the team from awful to respectable, and likely will not get us much further than that.  But we need that development background right now.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.