Everything Kevyn Adams has done as Sabres GM

Zamboni

I didnโ€™t like this thread when it came out (no offence Zamboni, if it wasnโ€™t you, someone was going to do it). ย Weโ€™re all so pissed off that weโ€™re looking to burn everyone as soon as they do something wrong. ย I really think we have to give Adams more time. It may not be what an โ€œexperiencedโ€ gm would do, but it may be what the Sabres need to do because of the 9 years prior to Adams.ย 

49 minutes ago, SJSabres Fan said:

I didnโ€™t like this thread when it came out (no offence Zamboni, if it wasnโ€™t you, someone was going to do it). ย Weโ€™re all so pissed off that weโ€™re looking to burn everyone as soon as they do something wrong. ย I really think we have to give Adams more time. It may not be what an โ€œexperiencedโ€ gm would do, but it may be what the Sabres need to do because of the 9 years prior to Adams.ย 

Hey, unlike someone else who may have had an agenda, I wanted to just have a running record in one place to refer back to from time to time to see all the good andย bad moves heโ€™s made. Many seem to enjoy looking at the running list. I know I do. It has NOTHING to do with him being inexperienced. I would have started the exact same thread no matter who the GM is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Hey, unlike someone else who may have had an agenda, I wanted to just have a running record in one place to refer back to from time to time to see all the good andย bad moves heโ€™s made. Many seem to enjoy looking at the running list. I know I do. It has NOTHING to do with him being inexperienced. I would have started the exact same thread no matter who the GM is.

Cool, coolโ€ฆIโ€™m glad there wasnโ€™t an agendaโ€ฆmost threads started about him since he was hired seem to have one. ย I wish I was as plugged in as most posters here, but I think Adams is a bit refreshing. ย 

• Like (+1) 1

Iโ€™m slowly coming around to Adams. I believe his latest media appearance to be sincere. I think he has a plan, knows what he is doing, and is determined. If so, heโ€™s playing the long game and we have to hope Terry and Kim give him multiple years to see it through. Donโ€™t agree with all of his draft picks, but I realize itโ€™s not just him that decides that. Also whoever is deciding, knows more than me. I hope.

Too soon to tell on Adams withย Buffalo's rebuild still in the tear down stage until Eichel is traded. ย That's the easyย part compared to managing a roster fromย the bottom of the standings to one competing for a playoff spot and winning playoff series.ย 

Also interested in who on the current roster is re-signed long term (3 years or more) like Dahlin, how his draft picks fare, and where they are by the end of year 2. ย That's a suitable time to assess him. ย 

ย 

6 hours ago, SabresVet said:

Too soon to tell on Adams withย Buffalo's rebuild still in the tear down stage until Eichel is traded. ย That's the easyย part compared to managing a roster fromย the bottom of the standings to one competing for a playoff spot and winning playoff series.ย 

Also interested in who on the current roster is re-signed long term (3 years or more) like Dahlin, how his draft picks fare, and where they are by the end of year 2. ย That's a suitable time to assess him. ย 

ย 

I tend to agree with you. Far too early to make any judgement and no doubt the eventual trading of Jack will really tells us more. A this point the team is nowhere as good as it was when he took it over and I thought with a few tweaks and some good NHL goaltending we would have had a good chance of making the playoffs.ย ย Now? We are not even close. We have given away Sam and while return for Risto was good (poor Philly management) heย and Jake were our only real physical d-men. We also lost Linus another guy we drafted and developed for nothing so while the negatives, and subtractions from the team are glaring and obvious, the additions and improvements are, well are there any real improvements thus far? We seem to be weaker in virtually every position now. We can only hope that the young guys really step upย ย but can we expect anything more from them then what we saw last year? No question the young guys played wel but at the end we were still losing andย losing game after game will not help any of the young guys in the long run.ย 

ย  ย ย 

Continuing to build the analytics staff.

ย 

Pasting the Data Scientist job req because I thought it was interesting.ย  Most of the skills and experience they look for make sense, but some of them reveal where the Sabres expect the science isย headed in the future (bolded).ย  Think stats based on puck tracking and also machine learning/AI for predictive models.

ย 

• Summary
    • We are seeking a data scientist for the Hockey Operations department with the Buffalo Sabres.ย  Subject to the minimum qualifications listed below, we welcome applicants of all levels of experience.ย  This position will report directly to the Vice President of Hockey Strategy & Research.ย  This position is available for either in-person or remote work (with occasional travel).ย 
  • Duties & Responsibilities
    • The Data Scientistโ€™s responsibilities may include any of the following:
    • Quantify, evaluate, and project the performance and abilities of hockey players and teams
    • Analyze data from all aspects of hockey operations
    • Build, validate, and automate models for hockey player and team performance using multiple data sources
    • Collaborate with a team of data scientists, data engineers, and hockey operations personnel
    • Prepare written and/or automated reports for presentation to hockey operations personnel
    • Communicate effectively and perform all job responsibilities in a variety of work settings, including in virtual meetings and distributed work environments, at in-person meetings, and in other settings
    • Clearly communicate complex technical concepts to others
    • Creatively use existing data to advance our understanding of the sport of hockey, the performance of players and teams, etc
    • Perform ad-hoc and time-sensitive data analyses upon request
    • Attend in-person meetings upon request
    • Fulfill other related duties and responsibilities
  • Minimum Qualifications for the Position:
  • The Data Scientist should have the following minimum qualifications:
    • Bachelorโ€™s degree or higher in statistics, data science, machine learning, computer science, mathematics, engineering, or a related field
    • Strong knowledge of programming for data analysis, preferably using R, Python, Julia, and/or other related tools
    • Demonstrated experience working with large, complex datasets
    • Experience building a variety of statistical models, and an understanding of those models
    • Experience writing shared code and using version control tools in team work environments
    • Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
    • Enthusiasm to work for a professional sports team
    • Ability to work a flexible schedule (including nights, weekends, and holidays when necessary) and to occasionally travel (e.g. for in-person meetings)
    • Ability to responsibly analyze and handle sensitive and confidential data
  • Applicants possessing the following qualifications will be given preference:
    • Advanced training in statistics, data science, machine learning, computer science, mathematics, engineering, or a related field (e.g. via a masterโ€™s degree, doctoral degree, or industry training)
    • 3+ years of experience as a data scientist (preferably with prior experience in sports analytics) and/or sufficient experience working professionally in sports analytics
    • Demonstrated experience working on long-term, open-ended research problems (preferably in sports analytics)
    • Deep understanding of and (demonstrated experience building) a variety of statistical models (e.g. generalized linear models, generalized additive models, hierarchical models, mixture models, non-parametric models, tree-based models, Bayesian models and MCMC, bagging, boosting, supervised learning, unsupervised learning, neural networks, time series models, etc)
    • Experience analyzing and building models with spatio-temporal data
    • Strong knowledge of hockey and/or sports analytics
    • Experience working with sensitive and confidential data
    • Proficiency with SQL, basic understanding of modern database architectures and data structures, etc
    • Experience building dashboards, web applications, and/or interactive data visualizations with any tool (e.g. HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Shiny, Tableau, Dash, etc)
    • Applicants with a portfolio of projects available to be reviewed during the interview process will be given preference.
  • Critical Competencies
    • Detailed
    • Organized
    • Creative
    • Collaborative
    • Adaptive
    • Responsible
    • Confidential
    • Proactive
    • Competitive
    • Proficient in oral and written communication
  • Experience
  • Required
    • Experience writing shared code and using version control tools in team work environments.
    • Experience building a variety of statistical models, and an understanding of those models.
    • Experience working with large, complex datasets.
  • Education
  • Preferred
    • Bachelors or better in Statistics or related field

ย